electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
FSK synchronizer in PD?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Ojd

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: FSK synchronizer in PD? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a way to make FSK tone analyzer in PureData? Basically I need to analyze FSK sync tone from tape and spit midi clock to DAW. FSK clock consists of 2 squarewaves octave apart + Song Position Pointer encoded as binary (? don't know that for sure).

External synchronizers do not cost much today (because they seem totally irrelevand after digital recording), its just I want the most portable rig - 4 track + DAW. If its possible to diy, i'll do it
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know about MAX/MSP - PD, but a few months ago I did some research to help someone who had some old Casio CZ FSK files. I found some tools that I found quite insightful for the project (and about FSK variants). I seem to recall there were some tools I found that I used.

BTW, I was surprised to see that FSK has advanced way beyond what it was in the 80s.

This has nothing to do with MAX/MSP or PD, but if you think it might be helpful in some way, I can try to see if I have the sites I used bookmarked. Maybe you could convert the methods tp MAX/MSP/PD?

Steve

PS: http://r-massive.cellarseer.com/casio-rz-1-mt-jack/ led me to the tools.

Addendum: The Yamaha MT2X was a 4-track cassette recorder that could be configured to record sync to track 4. There was an optional device (YMC2) that would take the sync (I assume FSK) and convert to midi--not sure if it was clocks and SPP or what. If it helps, the MT2X service manual also has a section at the end for the YMC2. https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_mt2x_ymc2.pdf/download.html.

Addendum 2: Way back in the old days, I am pretty sure I used the MT2X to sync to something w/o the YMC2. I used the audio sync connectors. I cannot remember what I synced it to, though. Not sure if it was software (midi sequencer) or a drum machine. If it was the latter, it would have been a Korg DDD-5. Maybe the DDD-5 had the ability to sync to track 4 from the cassette. If so, maybe that implies that there was a sync standard. If so, maybe you don't need to analyze the fsk implementation. Anyhow, maybe something here will be useful for your solution.

Last edited by MusicMan11712 on Sat May 13, 2017 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
JovianPyx

Audio files: 190

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FSK decode can be done with a PLL (Phase Locked Loop). a 4046 can easily do it, but there's a bit more to it than just the 4046. FSK is a lot like FM which is why a PLL can do that much of it. You might take a look at old modem schematics for ideas to complete the idea. In the case of MIDI, there is no actual "clock" because MIDI is an asynchronous protocol which is normally fully decoded using a UART. If you're talking about "true" MIDI, it runs at 31250 baud, so the UART will need to be configured for that baud rate for it to be reliable.

No idea if PD or MAX/MSP can do that, since serial asynch communications such as MIDI is not really a "musical" thing, it's a digital serial data thing.

HTH.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Jump to: