electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Antimon Antimon Waves
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
MIDI to CV 555 VCO design ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you build the ACX Lite circuit as shown at the website http://www.acxsynth.com/archives/archives.html (go down to the "Lite" version)

And use the code "newmain.c" above to program the PIC

You should be as plug and play as possible.

Where do you live? I can program a PIC and send it to you.... Setting up the Microchip programming environment seems like the most likely place to have a problem, although it didn't cause me any grief, it seems like it would probably be simpler to do for you if you aren't planning to embark on any coding yourself Smile
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Elmegil

I am from southern Italy, precisely the Sardinia island.
well known for its seas and nice food. Wink
Although not the nearest place where to ship to from the States, another solution may be that you provide me with instructions of some kind, and i can pass them on to an EE friend of mine.
he can then evaluate and build the thing for me !
he's a busy professor and hardly has any spare time but over the next weeks he should ben willing to help me out.
if you wish you can contact me as PM too.
cheers !
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The key to doing it yourself is to have a PICKit 3 programmer and a small simple circuit to plug it and the PIC into, as well as the Microchip development environment ( free one is available ) installed on your computer.

Maybe you can start there. If he's OK with that, I can provide greater detail.
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Elmegil,
that would be so nice of you, if you could take time to illustrate the process of programming the chip. Wink
Chances are,my EE professor friend might be familiar with PICkit and possibly implement the whole thing in a breeze.
He's got an extensive Arduino programming experience and,as previously mentioned, he programmed the beast to get GATE and CV to control his Moog clone.
i believe he'd be also happy to discover another way do digitally control an analog system, so feel free to go on with a more-in-depth explanation ! thanks
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I would be better off with some idea of his level of understanding of the process already, which was why I suggested discussing with him first and getting back to me.

One should have a sense of the audience before attempting to write instructions, and based on what you've said, my first assumption would be he doesn't really need a lot of instruction given his level of experience.

In short: what I've already said seems quite likely to be plenty -- point him at a good programmer, a source for the programming tools, and he probably knows enough to do the rest.
alanwilder81

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes Elmegil,

i will point my friend to the acxsynth.com website you got me link to.
It's all there...schematics, firmware source,components list.
Looks to me pretty exhaustive infos for a seasoned engineer Smile

Should he have any queries, or need for further clarifications during the process i can get you in contact with him anyway.
It won't be until september i believe.

in the meanwhile i will be developing more analog modules.
cheers!
Grumble

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still, I can't understand why somebody would want to use an Arduino to make a midi controlled 555 vco Shocked while the Arduino itself is very capable to create a square wave and have it controlled by midi with that same Arduino.
I mean, the pwm isn't exactly known for its accuracy, and the same goes for a voltage controlled oscillator using a 555. Combine those two and the best you may get is an out of tune midi controlled vco.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 3 [57 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: