electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
New modular softsynth in town...
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: New modular softsynth in town... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I saw a post over at KVR about SoloRack, a new modular softsynth and being a softsynth junkie, I decided to check it out.

Its still considered 'beta' but is surprisingly stable. I believe the developer is planning on offering modules individually with the frame being free as well as allowing third party debelopers. There is a System B that has every currently available module for download as a demo or you can purchase an activation code for $85. The demo has sporadic noise bursts that are fortunately not too loud.

I downloaded the demo...and then several days later purchased a license for it! Needless to say I am very intrigued by the capabilities of this software! You are allowed to install the software on up to 6 computers. Currently it is Windows only, XP or later, 32 or 64 bit. Its design to replicate a Eurorack style modular and the look would make you think it was modeling Doepfer however the developer is clear that these are not models of any existing manufactures products.

I could list specs, etc. but its better to just provide a link:
http://www.solostuff.net/soloroack

One thing that is really cool is that you can use as many modules as you want! The standard frame is 2 rows....width seems to be emulating an 84hp system. You can add as many rows as you need. A user posted a soundcloud post on KVR that had 10 rows!

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=483577&start=105

Unfortunately the rack currently only displays two rows at a time. The developer may consider changing this but said it will cause a cpu hit. Which btw I found the sw to be very easy on my system.

Also, there are modules to let you route signals in and out of the synth...in Reaper I had two instances on different tracks and was able to route signals between them as well as route Silent Way signals into Solorack.

All in all quite a bit of fun!

DES

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Version 1 has now been released. Here's what Solostuff has to say about it:

--- SoloRack v1.0 has been released including 6 new modules and more features. All the new modules are included in System B. Please download and install this latest version. As the old beta will expire after some time.

Here is the list of new features and updates:

- New Module S223 Dual Tap Comb Filter
- New Module S616 Stereo Reverb
- New Module S911 Binary Tools
- New Module S913 Pitch Transpose
- New Module S921 Quad Mixing Prolarizer
- New Module SE01 Sample Delay
- Ability to have more than 2 rows viewable on screen. Using the (viewable_rows) option in config.ini. Please read the (viewable_rows) section in the "ReadMe.txt" file for details on how to enable this.
- Advanced oversampling features. This is meant for advanced users. Read (advanced_oversampling) in the ReadMe.txt file.
- Added "Info..." menu item when right clicking on module. This will browse to the module description.
- Activation bug in some systems fixed.
- Automation bug in Studio One fixed.
- Bug fixes in delay lines that cause clips and clicks in rare occasions.
- CPU Performance improvements in some module(s).
- 60+ new presets

Hope you like Smile

--- I REALLY like the ability to show more then two rows...three is perfect on my monitors. I've been working at interfacing to my Eurorack moduals via Expert Sleepers ES3 and ES6 modules - pretty cool! FYI if you already purchased the System B beta, the v1 update release is free.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I missed the first post, so thanks for the update. The full to rows used for Martin Lueder's Soundcloud demo looks like it has lots of potential. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMlVc3slSCvW2ikeuiGKsWM3CguDToAZOu891yxeY0ELkXBnV3bwYsynrAlaT4EwA?key=c0ktUUd5YUlIYmN2QXF4MlhFZGpPdnZ0R3V0THJB

Do all of the control have midi learn? It might be fun to play a full softsynth modular with hardware sliders, etc.

Steve

Addendum 1: I didn't see anything about midi learn on the website, so I will try the download to see if its described in the manual.
Addendum 2: Installed easy enough to SONAR X3 Studio, though I had to SoloRack where to put it; I haven't found a manual; the knobs do not seem to have midi learn; the soft noise burst every 20 seconds or so works.
Addendum 3: Softsynth is very responsive to usb keyboard (note on/off) with basic presets--i.e., no discernable latency. It looks like midi controls need to be patched individually. There is one preset that uses the modwheel; I will try to make sense of manual midi learn from that--if I can remember which preset it was!!!
Addendum 4: I haven't found a MIDI CC to CV module yet; the MIDI-CV module has basic controls: Gate, Note, Vel., Pitch, Mod, plus sa few others. I did see some other MIDI modules in the sample presets, including one to set the channel. I will look some more. Maybe I will even find out how to add modules to a patch.
Addendum 5: M is for Modules! Smile So far it looks like there are just 2 MIDI modules: SD02 MCVS: MIDI-CV/Synv Interf. and SD05 MPC: Midi Ploy Chainer.

So as far as changing the virtual knobs/sound with anything but a mouse (such as with hardware knobs, sliders, foot pedals, buttons ,etc.) so far as I can see, it cannot be done with the current modules--i.e., no mapping CCs to different modules. With the poly chainer, it might be possible, though to set up a usb keyboard's sliders/knobs to output modwheel data on different midi channels.

When I have a chance to learn the SoloRack more, I will see if I can have 16 SD05/SD02 pairs with the modwheel routed to different modular parameters. Certainly makes me appreciate softsynths with midi learn!
DES

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ammar has not implemented midi learn yet. The controls do report to the host so if it offers midi control you can indirectly do midi control.

Martins 10 (ten!) row patch is pretty cool - definitely put thought into it. I'm looking forward to putting more time into it. I have and like Arturias Modular V but the expandability of SoloRack takes it to the next level.

The 'manual' is info blocks attached to each module. I believe in this last release you right-click the module to access the info about it. If not you can go to his store and read each description.

Look at the templates for ideas how he does things...a lot of good info can be gleaned from them.

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: