electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2017 Build Photos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 5 [102 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Despite the facts that it was/is the Lunetta subforum was which inspired me in doing electronics and that CMOS logic forms the basis of most of what I have built, I never got around to building a "real" Lunetta!
Even this I consider just a prototype, since I had to build it in a limited time-frame for a concert with not much planning, and I did not have time to incorporate certain visual decorations I've had in mind for a while (actually planning 3 separate Lunettas).

I call it the HIL 0010 0011 0010 1000.

(HIL for Highly IlogicaL, or maybe Highly Interesting Logic, and the binary is another reference)

From bottom to top more or less:
- Ken Stone Clock divider (w/o logic section or reset)
- 3 clock oscillators w/ 2 ranges
- 1 mark & space (variable duty cycle) oscillator w/ 2 ranges
- "bit buttons", i.e. momentary switches, 2 connected to 9V and one connected to ground. Also, 9V connected to on/off switch
- Logic section: 2 NOT, 3 AND, 2 XOR gates
- 2 x 4-bit 4015 shift reg w/ loop switch
- 4029 up/down binary counter
- 8-bit 4015 shift reg
- 4017+4051 "melody generator"
- 2 x 4-bit R2R DAC
- 2 gate-able square & triangle oscillators w/ 2 ranges
- 3-input mixer

I think there are 94 bolts. It's a little bit cramped.

.:James:.

HIL Lunetta proto 20170915 fb.jpg
 Description:
HIL 0010 0011 0010 1000 "Lunetta" synth
 Filesize:  529.21 KB
 Viewed:  409 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

HIL Lunetta proto 20170915 fb.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice lunetta james Very Happy looks like you have a useful selection of logic in there.
It always surprises me how fast the bolt count goes up, I'm working on a
lunetta synth myself at the moment which has an A4 sized panel and about
75 bolts.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RingMad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
It always surprises me how fast the bolt count goes up.

Thanks, yeah, it's easy to say "oh yeah, it would be cool to add another shift reg and that chip, and it would nice to add another gate...". but then you have to bring all those inputs & outputs to the panel...

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made some Audio Isolators.

more info here

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NoodleDriver

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first multilayered PCB Very Happy

MFOS-24dB-VCF.jpg
 Description:
MFOS 24dB VCF with VC Res
 Filesize:  834.98 KB
 Viewed:  410 Time(s)

MFOS-24dB-VCF.jpg

stringsthings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice! MFOS stuff is classic DIY!
trav

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad, PHOBoS, do you solder to the bolts/washers? or just make a mechanical connection?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use solder eyelets/lugs myself, which I bend like the one in the foreground.
You could just wrap wire around the bolt before tightening it but this is more
convenient (and they're very cheap).

solder eyelets.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.27 KB
 Viewed:  361 Time(s)

solder eyelets.jpg

intercorni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214021499988910&set=a.1208851538779.179724.1153415430&type=3&theater
RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trav wrote:
RingMad, PHOBoS, do you solder to the bolts/washers? or just make a mechanical connection?

I used to wrap the wire around the bolt and hope that it didn't unravel or loosen when I tightened the nut. It was a bit of a pain.
I couldn't find the type that PHOBoS uses for cheap when I wanted them, but instead found these wires with spade connectors (A.K.A. fork terminals) already on them for pretty cheap in an electronics/surplus store.

spade connectors sm.jpg
 Description:
spade connectors, with #4 machine screw for reference.
 Filesize:  169.78 KB
 Viewed:  285 Time(s)

spade connectors sm.jpg

Last edited by RingMad on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
trav

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like a nice economical way to build. Any disadvantages compared to, say, bananas? No colour-coding, obviously, but how does patching compare? Do the crocs stay on when manipulating a big tangled mess?
RingMad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trav wrote:
Seems like a nice economical way to build. Any disadvantages compared to, say, bananas? No colour-coding, obviously, but how does patching compare? Do the crocs stay on when manipulating a big tangled mess?

I don't have any experience with patching bananas. I used banana jacks on one box, but they were so cheap that they were a real pain to install and had to hot-glue them so they would stay still. I also installed them in such a way that I could use the alligator clips on them.

For colour-coding, one could always paint the nuts, or use a marker. I didn't think of that in time for that for this rushed build, but I did use a Sharpie marker on the tops of the bolts (although it's too small a surface to be very useful, especially in a concert situation).

It's true that the crocs can be a bit problematic in a patching mess, and surely less stable than bananas. With decent quality crocs, I haven't had too much trouble with them falling off. I probably should have put more space between the bolts, as it is a little cramped.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My personal experience is that the alligator clips combined with the thread on the bolts make for a pretty strong connection,
maybe even better than bananas but that depends a bit on the quality of them. Patching takes a bit more effort because they
are springloaded clamps so you can't just plug/unplug as with other connectors. I've actually been looking for some female
connectors that could be pushed onto the bolts but haven found anything suitable yet. An advantage with alligator clips is that you
can easily extend leads by clipping them together and you can also clip more than one lead onto a bolt so no need for fancy stackables.
As for color coding that is something I really like about bananas but with the way I make my frontpanels I can still add some color coding:

RingMad wrote:
I probably should have put more space between the bolts, as it is a little cramped.

I usually keep a spacing between them of at least 15mm/0.6" which works for me but YMMV.

trav

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, guys!
buildamodular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starting to get it going, René's 4069 VCO and MS-20 filter, still need to make panel for that.

IMG_20171010_165104_248.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  321.27 KB
 Viewed:  207 Time(s)

IMG_20171010_165104_248.jpg

IMG_20171019_150958_018.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  416.07 KB
 Viewed:  252 Time(s)

IMG_20171019_150958_018.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buildamodular wrote:
Starting to get it going

Great!

And noticed ... pertinax Smile long time ago since I last saw that!

buildamodular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

And noticed ... pertinax Smile long time ago since I last saw that!

Yeah, that stuff stinks horrible Very Happy
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

he, yeah, and smelled was a while ago too :-)
SkullAndCircuits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: EHX Bass micro synth mods Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Fixed and re-housed an EHX bass synth in a 19inch rack. And while I was at it added a bunch of modifications ( Square sub oscillator, external audio input, trigger output, external trigger input, envelope follower CV output, VCF CV input, Band pass filter, filter clipping, expanded the filter range, expanded the resonance range, input gain and output attenuator).
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice job, love the front panel Very Happy
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finished the PSU for a new euro-rack case.

more info here

elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the dark side Smile
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh. I'll have to see if I have any more spare PCBs lying around Wink Smile
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I joined the dark side a while back or was that just the trial period ?

AlanP wrote:
Huh. I'll have to see if I have any more spare PCBs lying around Wink Smile

Laughing since this case is replacing the previous one and I have some modules that I couldn't fit in that one it is
probably already filled for about 75%. That is even without Clouds, Rings, Elements. I never mind some
PCBs though, got any voltage controlled envelope generators? Wink

Last edited by PHOBoS on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm probably horribly out of date Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 5 [102 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: