electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Calling all synth DIY'ers!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Calling all synth DIY'ers! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm posting this because last night I found that Thomas Henry has torn down his site and a lot of his cool things he seems not to be making availiable any more :(

I was browsing the internet about a month ago looking for a photo of the original PE minisonic mk 1 to base my SoundLab front panel on and I stumbled across this thread on the newly founded EPE list (jeez these people are out of touch with modern times!). Anyway I added some stuff to the thread asking why most electronic construction mags have deserted us synth diy nuts (well I know they lost interest when analogue sort of died when the DX7 was introduced back in the early 80's). This was John Becker's reply and you can find it here;

http://www.chatzones.co.uk/discus/messages/7/480.html?1117552294

Incidently John Becker was the founder of Phonosonics a company not unlike Paia based here in the UK.

The bottom line is that with enough interest, they may re-ignite synthesiser construction projects if there is enough interest. Although what they suggest is a start, I feel that they are setting their goals a bit high- perhaps we can offer them some assistance?

I suppose I really should post this info on the Analogue Heaven and Synth DIY lists as well? But I'm not a member of those- far too much traffic for me. But if anyone is a member here, please do spread the word.

Lists are fine but magazines are so much better because you can't really read a list while sitting on the bog in the morning!!!

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PS- this was the inspiration that made me post;

http://www.midwest-analog.com/

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought some kits from Phonosonics Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Man thats too bad. I was looking at some of those Midwest kits for a little until I stumbled on the sound lab. I just couldn't afford to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a kit. We need(or are there) more sites like MFOS that offer boards for sale and layouts rather than a whole kit. I hope I'm not out of line here but, 150 to 300 bucks for an oscillator or LFO or what have you. wew
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you know of the ASM2?
It's very similar to the Soundlab, just a bit more ambitious.
It's being looked after by a guy called Laurie Biddulph. He lives on the north coast of NSW not far from me. I've almost finished an ASM2, but I got a bit lost when we moved up here from Sydney.
Check out this link,
http://www.elby-designs.com/index.html
It's a big project. A bit more expensive than a Soundlab I expect, but it seems the next logical step. I'm low on funds now but I'd like to finish my ASM2 while I prepare to built a Soundlab

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uncle-krunkus wrote:
Do you know of the ASM2?
It's very similar to the Soundlab

Yes- but unlike the SoundLab, it's not battery operated :(
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I checked it out that pretty cool.

Yes v-un-v I'm still amazed it runs of 2 -9 volts
Everyone who sees it says, "that runs off batteries"

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uncle-krunkus wrote:
http://www.elby-designs.com/index.html

The worst thing about this link is that bloody awful wank-rock music that starts playing and there seems no way of stopping it unless you shut down your browser and re-launch it- arrrggggg!!!
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second that
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't stand any kind of background music on web pages. That's why I turn sound off in my browser. It's just a waste of bandwidth anyway. If I want to hear something, I'll ask for it. (download it)
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the first kit I built with actual PCB and soldering was from Phonosonics, was an echo/ reverb type effect based on a TDA1536 bucket brigade delay line. I pimped it up a few years later with a modulated clock for chorus and flanger type effects. And a pseudo stereo output.

Was a great company but out of business by the time I could afford any of their cool stuff, like digital delay based fx units.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: