electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
DIY Multichannel MIDI to CV converter, new design
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elkayem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: DIY Multichannel MIDI to CV converter, new design Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

I had recently solicited and received great advice on the design of a MIDI to CV converter. The final result was a single-channel converter using a 5-pin DIN MIDI input, built directly into my synthesizer.

After building it, I realized I wanted MORE! My synthesizer has 3 VCOs after all, and wouldn't it be nice if I could drive all three independently with a sequencer app on my iPad. I finally put together what I wanted, and just uploaded the design (including a nifty 3D printed case) at:

https://github.com/elkayem/usbMIDI2CV_MC

I thought I would share the design here in case anyone else was looking for a good winter project. I'll also entertain code feature requests. This design features an OLED user interface for configuration settings, so it is quite flexible. A few more features:

• Three channel Note CV output (88 keys, 1V/octave, MIDI channels 1-3) using a 12-bit DAC
  • Configurable note priority for each channel (Highest Note, Lowest Note, or Last Note Priority)
  • 5V Gate/Trigger outputs, where each channel can be independently configured to either output a gate (output high for entire length of time that note is on) or trigger (20 msec pulse each time a new note is initiated)
  • Velocity CV output (0 to 4V) for each channel
  • Pitch Bend CV output (0.5 +/- 0.5V), which can be configured for channel 1, 2, or 3
  • Control Change CV output (0 to 4V), which can be configured for channel 1, 2, or 3
  • OLED user interface, used for setting parameters and saving to EEPROM

Anyway, here are a few photos. Enjoy!

Grumble

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice built! salut
elkayem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
Nice built! salut

Thanks Grumble!!
Sheer Kahn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks man, I'm still using the first model. Looking forward to building this one, you saved me even more work. Much appreciated!

If you are taking requests for modifications/additions then I vote for more CC outs Smile . the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. Really handy if you are sequencing your synth from a DAW.

I probably won't build it for a while, got a big project on, but I will try to incorporate it. Again, big thanks for sharing your work!
elkayem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sheer Kahn wrote:
Thanks man, I'm still using the first model. Looking forward to building this one, you saved me even more work. Much appreciated!

Thanks Sheer Kahn! Good tip on the extra CCs. It is useful to know how people use these out in the field. I don't anticipate doing a redesign anytime soon, but the pitch bend (if you aren't using it) could easily be modified to another CC out with a simple code change. I have extra bare PCBs if you ever do wind up building one. The PCB manufacturers like you to buy in bulk. Good thing they're cheap!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: