electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
The Deathlehem Jazz Quartet
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Richarius

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: The Deathlehem Jazz Quartet
Subject description: Quad 4015 sequencer; R-2R; 4052 selector
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back to Lunetta'ing for almost 2 weeks now, this damn brain of mine keeps spitting out new ideas to try. I'm very happy with the results from testing this one yesterday. I should have it fully completed, today.

I've done a quick search on here for the CD4015 dual 4 BIT Shift Register and haven't found anyone else posting sequencer schematics using it. I'm sure I'm not the 1st person to do it. Anyone else?

Anyhoo ... with 4 BITs output to an R-2R DAC, we can have up to 16 different pitches. With their being 2 x 4 BIT Shift Registers on the 4015, we can have 2 different 16 pitch sequencers!
Using 2 of these chips? 4 sequencers.

To tie everything together, to have up to 4 different patterns that can be selected for playback, I went with the CD4052, which is a dual 1 to 4 or 4 to 1 multiplexer. The minor problem with it is, both of the multiplexers operate from the same A and B controls, to decide which of the is active.
That's ok though! Whilst 1 of them is used to receive the 4 sequencer inputs, the other one is used at the same time, to light an LED for each, to see which one is currently active.

And there we have it! As well, I realized / remembered this morning - each of the outputs from the sequencers, can be fed into the Data input of another sequencer, to have sequence lengths of 4, 8, 12 or 16 steps! Very Happy

Here are pics of the quickly thrown together schematic as well as almost finished panel.

Any questions or errors you notice? Fire away. I'm open to being shown something that I may have done incorrectly / et cetera. Smile

TheDeathlehemJazzQuartetSchematic-001.jpg
 Description:
This is the quickly drawn schematic for the Deathlehem Jazz Quartet
 Filesize:  99.93 KB
 Viewed:  610 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

TheDeathlehemJazzQuartetSchematic-001.jpg

TheDeathlehemJazzQuartet-panel-001.jpg
 Description:
This is the almost completed panel (Missing LEDs and jack nuts) for the Deathlehem Jazz Quartet.
 Filesize:  113.13 KB
 Viewed:  569 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

TheDeathlehemJazzQuartet-panel-001.jpg

Richarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have completed a 4 x Sequencer version of this with a multiplexer, to decide (if it it is used) which sequence is currently active. It has 1 bug I have to solve before I make a video of it as well.
Each of the 4 sequencers, have their 4 BIT outputs, wired to that sequencer's own 4 BIT R-2R DAC. The output of each DAC, is brought to a panel jack. (Each sequencer has it's own Clock and Data input, as well.)
There is also a patchable 4052 4:1 multiplexer, to plug the sequencers into, to decide which one is currently active.

I have 1 bug to work out (sequencer #'s 1 and 3 are not running). Once I've solved it, I'll shoot another video to demonstrate some of the ideas from it. Smile

Richarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is, the 1st recorded audio file (through stereo digital delay. No other effects except for pitch glide / slew) from the Deathlehem Jazz Quartet. (Bugs found and fixed.)

For this patch:
- the same Clock signal was sent to 3 x 4015 4 BIT sequencers / DACs
- the Data signal for each of the 3 were different clock speed divisions
- yet 2 more clock divisions were used to select input #'s 1 to 4 from the 4052 multiplexer
- the output from the multiplexer went to a 4046 VCO with slight slew until the end where it was cranked up really high.

Hope you enjoy. Smile With 4 of these 4 step sequencers, 3 x multiples and a multiplexer, there are a huge # of possibilities that can be patched. This is going to be a helluva lotta fun! Very Happy

The Deathlehem Jazz Quartet - debut.mp3
 Description:
1st recorded audio from the Deathlehem Jazz Quartet

Download
 Filename:  The Deathlehem Jazz Quartet - debut.mp3
 Filesize:  10.14 MB
 Downloaded:  831 Time(s)

Steveg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Richarius, I like the sound but it doesn't sound very jazz like to me. Maybe XOR the output with a LFO to give some tone variance? And throw in some a couple of envelope shapers so you can have multiple notes going off at the same time? Regards Steveg.
Richarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steveg wrote:
Hi Richarius, I like the sound but it doesn't sound very jazz like to me. Maybe XOR the output with a LFO to give some tone variance? And throw in some a couple of envelope shapers so you can have multiple notes going off at the same time? Regards Steveg.

Soon, Steve, soon! Haha. I'm trying to use as little of my Euro modular as possible with my Deathlehem Machine. (13th one built.) On this build as well I'm trying to return to more of the original Lunetta mindset. Less protection; more direct wire this to that / etc.

Envelopes are coming! During my brief building period last year, I came up with an Attack / Release EG that functioned around the Set and Reset of a Flip Flop. There's a quad of it downstairs that just as to be wired.

Vactrol VCAs are right around the corner. I've got the vactrols.

More melodies at a time will be coming, once I have the VCAs setup.

"Jazz" .. heh. Very Happy In that regard:
- I have a quad XOR in the machine at the moment. I had not used it in that patch
- I came up with a 'human clock' yesterday morning, that will have more of a 'human feel' on all of it's clock feeds. That in my viewpoint of some jazz styles, will fit ... very, well, for each of them 'instruments', doing their own thang. Lol.

I haven't done any serious 'sound sculptures' with the thing yet over my 2 weeks back to building as I've been coming up with new module ideas almost non-stop, spending at least half of my time building them. It's all like I'm in a 'rush'. :-/

Coming within days I hope:
- quad FFEG Off! (Flip Flip EG) (finish wiring)
- quad Oscillator / Pulse Width Clock / Inverter / NAND (finish wiring)
- quad Comparator (external to +12V converter) (finish wiring)
- The Deathlehem Human Clock (need to prototype)

Steveg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to it.
Richarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steveg wrote:
Looking forward to it.

Me too! Double failure so far, today in prototyping. Sad

Using the (unbuffered) triangle portion of the 40106 oscillator, summed with a reduced +V supply (both through their own diodes, at least) to power a 2nd 40106 to monitor the frequency of it's oscillator ...

Instead of the frequency of the oscillator being modulated by the 1st, when the modulated one was HIGH, then you'd see the modulation triangle wave. When LOW, normal Ground. (As seen on my 'scope.)

I just finished trying out an Exar 2206 that I still have a couple of, to see about modulating it, with another one.
Just to user it as a basic oscillator, with no incoming CVs, was a fairly large parts count. Great looking Sinewave on the 'scope, but ... I'm not wanting the Sine for actual clock usage. For modulating another, only.

Considering the parts count for 2 of the 2206's, which together would not even be able to produce a complex enough series of modulations for 'human feels', I've killed that one as well.
Also - it's stepping quite far outside of the Lunetta's CMOS/TTL area, completely. Which I'm trying to do as little as possible in this machine build.

3rd option now, for modulated clocks - I'm going to dig up the original schematic for my Liquid HiHat that I kreated in 2007 and see about slowing it way down. I do have quite a few spare 4046s. This could possibly work well. Smile

Richarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Testing, success. The problems with yesterday's 3rd tested method for the Human Clock? Mis-reading Ken Stone's Psycho LFO schematic and implementing the output opamps incorrectly.
Then today, not realizing that the 2nd battery for bipolar operations, was completely dead. Duh. Lol.

Test circuit was a 6 clock version of Ken's 4 clock Psycho LFO, with 2 clocks adjustable and slew. Worked beautifully.

Final version will be 2 x 4 clocks with 1 of them being the 4046 in each, for external voltage control. Each of the clock outputs buffered, to front panel jacks. All 8 clocks will have pots, that bring them up into audio speed as well.

At least 4 x XOR gates, brought straight to the panel.

2 output mixers with hopefully, Roland era tranny EGs, driving vactrol VCAs.

The entire unit as well as having at least 4 'clock out' channels, will be patch capable. The Liquid Hihat 'engine' will be able to be emulated with it.

Can't wait to finish this one. Surprised Smile

3 minute demo video of the 6 clocks.

colorbars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is going to be a good one! Modular can always benefit from a more human aspect!
Last edited by colorbars on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Richarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

colorbars wrote:
This is going to be a good one! Modular can always benefit for a more human aspect!

Exactly. Smile I do / will venture a guess that, that isn't always something realized as well. Surprised

Perf board plans layed out yesterday, construction of them this morning, shall begin.

Richarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And as seems to so often occur, my changing 'moods' and 'interests' took me away from it again, until about 5 days ago. I'm hoping this time, it will last at least long enough for me, to complete a bunch of ideas that were started but unfinished. Surprised Smile
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: