electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Issue with the pan from the mixer module
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Issue with the pan from the mixer module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I use a MixStereo module in a patch. I noticed that the signal level is not the same on the L / R side when the pan is at the center position(0, 64).

I made a small patch. On the right side, the VU meter go to the yellow area. On the left side the VU meter do not pass over the green area.

I added a Compare Signal module to confirm what I see on the VU meters. I got the same results with a pan module.

Is that normal ? Is this could be an interpolation problem ? I noticed that the 2 signals are equal if one channel is panned 100% to the left side (-64) and another channel 100% to the right side(+63).

Question

MixStereoPanProblemV11.pch2
 Description:
patch to check if the pan setting works well on the mixer module

Download
 Filename:  MixStereoPanProblemV11.pch2
 Filesize:  1.34 KB
 Downloaded:  3085 Time(s)

Lfohead

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Issue with the pan from the mixer module Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think Pan Law could be at work here.. using one signal one of the channels will be 6dbfs quieter than the other being fully panned to one side.. From what you are describing sounds like the G2 is overriding the Pan law, when two signals are used.. Anyway all speculation, i haven't actually checked it on the G2.. Cheers Smile
Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do not think it has to do with the 'pan law'. Because the problem with the mixer module occurs when the pan parameter is to the center position.

I think that I already read about it on the forum but I can not find the conversation. If it's a bug it's not added in the Bugs section.
Electromagnetic Wave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About what you are referring to and the help manual :
Pan module > ‘Lin’ is suitable for control signals and ‘Log’ for audio signals. The ’Log’ setting is similar to a -3dB knob found on studio mixing desks, to fix what is named ‘the hole in the middle’ of the stereo panorama. When the Pan L/R knob is in its center position both output channels are attenuated by about -3dB, which is acoustically the correct balance. When in ’Lin’ setting both output channels are attenuated by -6dB in the center position.

L/R knob > Sets the initial pan position. Click on the triangle to reset the initial position to an equal amount of the incoming signal at both the outputs.

MixStereo module > The Pan knobs attenuate the middle of the stereo panorama by -3dB.

Is 'by about -3dB' mean approximately -3dB BUT not necessarily with the same values ​​on each side? Because when I continue to read to the L/R section it says > 'to an equal amount of the incoming signal at both the outputs'

Edit : I think the 'pan law' is more concerned when the pan is not in the central position but these are the info that help give about processing a stereo signal with the pan.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: