electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Terrible noise introduced into modular from digital devices
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
matinnin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Terrible noise introduced into modular from digital devices
Subject description: it is driving me insane
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All.
I am not able to avoid introducing horrible digital noise using digital / midi - cv devices. i got rid of an SQ-1 because i thought it was the problem. wasn't.... got a Beatstep Pro, connected to my DIY 808 voices - perfect no noise -
connected to midi syncing beatstep to midi gear , computer - no problem, no noise , there WAS noise figured out i MUST have a ferrite shielded cable connecting to computer - Ferrite on power cable/ and usb to computer cable. no noise
so right now - connected to midi/MOTU micro Express - and computerUSB - works fine
808 voices are on its own linear power supply-
Modular on seperate power - Both Quality Power and working perfect - Modular on a Full Star power config with monitoring cables from center of star - same with each voice on the other power
as soon as i connect clock cable to sequencer or CV/ GATE on either of the 2 BeatStep Pro sequencers - horrible digital noise
i have tried several cables - now all i can think of is to get Ferrites and put on some cable to see if i can get something to work
Anyone Else ?
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are the Beatsteps being powered? If by computer (via USB) try switching them to a wall wart style power supply and eliminate the computer all together. Does the noise stay or go away? Make sure all of your audio gear is on the same circuit. Sometimes a room may have its outlets supplied from from different sides of the power panel....you want them supplied from the same circuit. Are there switching supplies? Laptop style power supplies are notorious for putting digital hash on USB lines. If you have these..as a trouble shooting step only...Use a 3-to-2 prong AC adapter (also called ground lift, gozinto's, etc.) on the switching supply...assuming it has a three prong power connector. If this clears the noise then remove the ground lift device and replace it with a ground isolator. Tripp Lite used to make these - I have one thats a duplex style. Ebtech has a hum eliminator...not sure how well it works..
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX--ebtech-hum-by-ground-loop-hum-exterminator?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsoj-3J7O2gIVAkGGCh3fvQB3EAQYASABEgLvNPD_BwE
You really don't want to use ground lift adapters on a regular basis. Their original purpose was to provide a three-pin connection for old two-pin house wiring with the idea that even though the old plugs didn't have a ground pin, the plate screw was connected to the electrical box which was supposedly connected to ground...'supposedly' Confused The little tab on the adapter was attached to the plate screw.

It could be something else but you have to start somewhere. Also I was assuming you were in the US (Dallas?). Of course if you're not you need to find the appropriate adapter/isolator for your mains supply.

matinnin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Noise Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks,
yes the "bridge" seems to be related to using 2 power supplies with the beatstep in the middle. i have done extensive testing eliminated all possible connections , removed from computer, added ferrite cables, which actually did do some good, using the included ground loop eliminator, and separate power supply. i can use it fine with my drum circuits, but if i connect clock (which is my main issue) to my sequencers , noise. if i try and use the 2 beatstep sequencers , noise.
next im going to try and power my 808 circuits with my main power one supply. both power supplies are of the highest quality. the other is a built MFOS running 15V @ 2A , neither is taxed at all.

My doepfer MCV4 is absolute perfection.
crystal quiet on the drum circuits coming out of beatstep.

disappointed.
thanks,
cslammy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The beatstep pro comes with a ground loop elimination USB cable. Something I've not seen anywhere else.

https://forum.arturia.com/forums.html?topic=90606.0

Perhaps it was included to help with problems like the one you describe, I am not sure, but you might want to check to see if that helps any.

matinnin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: This was a while back Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

have no noise issues any longer. Ferrite sheilded cables are the answer. Quality usb cables with ferrite built in and ferrite sheilds that clip on the main AC power cords. all my power and usb now have ferrite sheilds and not one spec of unwanted noise
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to know that a bit of ferrite helps too :-)
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: