electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Getting started building CGS modules [Build Thread]
Page 4 of 4 [92 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you solder the wire links in?
Schläfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By wire links you mean jumpers?
if so yes i did
Schläfer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Btw my power source is +12/-12, but i doubt it is the problem, as i read in the cgs website it should operate fine at these voltages.
Schläfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everyhting working !

Of course it was some sloppy soldering from my part Rolling Eyes
Still have some problems to tune the cycle function but i'm not far anymore at least.

One more to go for the full dual function generator to be able to play with tasty feedback loops bounce

VID_20181123_163104.mp4
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  VID_20181123_163104.mp4
 Filesize:  18.46 MB
 Downloaded:  596 Time(s)

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Glad you got everything working! I already have enough on my plate right now, but once I've finished what I've started I think I may put together a VCS for use in my MU modular. Again, thanks for submitting the pcb layout!
Thinredline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUSG Working for me! Although might switch out the trimpots to diff ones, if i trim it too much i get no sound...not sure if thats a normal operation or not.

20190601_000058.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Viewed:  485 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20190601_000058.jpg

haebbmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. DUSG is fun!
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thinredline wrote:
DUSG Working for me! Although might switch out the trimpots to diff ones, if i trim it too much i get no sound...not sure if thats a normal operation or not.

Yes, that is normal, the trimmer kills the output if set too far either way (IIRC, at least one way for sure!) Check output on scope and trim for 0-5V as per docs... Looks good!

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it has been a while. This project got shelved as my interests turned more towards arcade machines for the past couple of years, but I've finally gotten off my ass and picked this project back up. Gotta finish what I started, especially when I was so far along. Since last time I've done a ton of front panel wiring, built a mohogany enclosure (still have to sand and clear-coat it), I also replaced all those cheap banana jacks with the emerson ones that were recommended. Much better! I'm going to have to do something creative to fit all the pcbs in there since I've still got boards for 3 mixers, two envelope generators, and a headphone amp that need to go in. I'm sure I can squeeze it all in there...

unnamed.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.29 MB
 Viewed:  260 Time(s)

unnamed.jpg

Ayab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to see you continuing project Hubaswift! Good work!
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And it breathes its first breath. A nice crisp saw wave. Didn’t have time to do any calibration or testing before heading off to work, but so far it’s looking good. I realized I have an extra jack on my panel since I was under the impression that the oscillator had a dedicated square output that wasn’t affected by pwm. This isn’t the case so I may just throw together an additional saw to square converter just for that fixed square output.

40AA5401-F173-4273-B1B3-544FC69EC18A.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.11 MB
 Viewed:  121 Time(s)

40AA5401-F173-4273-B1B3-544FC69EC18A.jpeg

FAB57024-F999-4FC7-B60D-BD4C33B5F970.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.65 MB
 Viewed:  143 Time(s)

FAB57024-F999-4FC7-B60D-BD4C33B5F970.jpeg

Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Knobs came in! Still waiting on those 2M ohm pots for the envelopes to come in alongside the connectors to start hooking up the modules to the power supply. The first DUSG I put together isn't working so I'm gonna have to do some troubleshooting later on and figure out what the issue is with that.

unnamed (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.57 MB
 Viewed:  149 Time(s)

unnamed (1).jpg

Ayab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a lovely really professional looking result. Good work to aspire to.
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you! It's been very slow progress as aside from other hobbies I have many projects within the synth and musical domain I'm going through all at the same time... but I have gotten a few more of the modules wired and tested. It appears I have some crosstalk so I'm going to need to get a better grounding and power distribution system in place, maybe alongside a better power supply too.
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, not much real work has been done lately on this, and that's because I was honestly disappointed with some of the results. The main one being the oscillators which have a few issues to address. The frequency range is much too large with only a portion of it being audio (easy resistor value change) but the real problem I have so far is the sub oscillator. Ken states that it will not cover the entire range of the VCO which is fine by me, but judging by my results that is an understatement! It hardly tracks alongside the VCO at all... May be an error on my part, I hope it is. That is a pretty big hit to the functionality of the module as many jacks and a few knobs are designated for sub osc purposes. I'm hoping it's a mistake I've made and not just the design. Of course I have played with the trimmer associated with this functionality, but I can't get it to even be really usable.

I have had a lot of motivation recently but have been directing it elsewhere. Namely a ribbon controller board, synth voice pcb (that I will be using alongside the ribbon controller), Expanded version of the Ian Fritz Tri-Core VCO with sine and Pulse outputs, and starting a video synthesis rig. I still have a goal in mind to finish this project but have no plans as to when it will happen.
Ayab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am sure you will get those issues ironed out.

Think I have seen your ribbon controller project on mod (muff's)?

Video synthesis is really interesting - I love the surreal look of some of the effects that can be done. I am personally trying to to hold off from getting into it for fear of an even larger backlog!
Hubaswift

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ayab wrote:
Am sure you will get those issues ironed out.

Think I have seen your ribbon controller project on mod (muff's)?

Video synthesis is really interesting - I love the surreal look of some of the effects that can be done. I am personally trying to to hold off from getting into it for fear of an even larger backlog!
Yes, I had some issues with it. I need to change a couple cap values and haven't gotten around to it yet, hopefully I can get that ribbon up and running without changing too much. Video synths have been the main thing I'm working on. Built 9 modules so far, designed a new panel for holding 11 castle series modules, and am also working on my own original circuit for a video logic module. Not to mention a number of arcade machine projects/repairs on the go...

I have done one thing on this project, which was troubleshoot the first DUSG, so that is now up and running. Bad transistor, and capacitor that was going into a wrong pad. Works great now!
Page 4 of 4 [92 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: