electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
New CMOS experiments - "TOUCH TONES" - touch harmony organ
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Top Top

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: New CMOS experiments - "TOUCH TONES" - touch harmony organ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is two 40106 oscillators, with frequencies switched to harmonically tuned notes (roots and thirds) via 4051 1 of 8 switches. 4040 provides divisions for lower octaves. Not shown in the video, but I also added a 4070 faux ring modulator, cross modulating the two tuned 40106 oscillators, for extra fun.

I came up with a basic 40106 touch sensor circuit using 3 inverter gates, which I am still refining a little bit for reliability (I found it works better when my feet are on the concrete floor of my workshop, even with shoes on! so it is probably a grounding contact issue). Can post a schem if anyone is interested in that part.

The signals are gated with a two diode "VCA" for each octave with a square gate from each touch switch. One thing I am getting that I am not crazy about is a big pop when switching those VCAs on, and another when switched off (positive spike at the start, negative spike at release). I'm going to try resistors between the touch gates and the VCA CV inputs, as right now it's just straight from the 40106 outs.

The touch plates are just a temporary test thing, and you can see below that I've cleaned them up a little bit. Once I get all the kinks worked out, this will eventually go into some sort of pretty looking box for use as a performance device.

20190522_032130.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Viewed:  499 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

20190522_032130.jpg

Last edited by Top Top on Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dougseidel

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's great! i like the clicky attack also.
Top Top

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dougseidel wrote:
that's great! i like the clicky attack also.

Thanks.

I actually like the sound of the clicky attack as it comes across in that video, but it got a bit much with lots of fast key action. It also sounds worse direct than through a mic like in the video.

I refined the touch sensor a little by adding ground contact, and eliminated the click for the most part by putting a 10k resistor between the gate output and the "VCA" CV input. Oddly, that also brought up the level of the audio from the oscillators and dividers. I have a bit to understand about how those two diode VCAs are actually working I guess.

This video shows off the ring mod, which the other video didn't show.

Top Top

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Needs some cosmetic work, but functionally functional.

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice Laughing
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh wow, that looks fun Smile your left hand changed what key your right hand was playing?
Top Top

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlanP wrote:
Oh wow, that looks fun Smile your left hand changed what key your right hand was playing?

Yes, left hand basically selects a chord position, 1 through 8 (combo of two tuned notes) using 3 bit selection, and the right hand gates what octave(s) of those two notes will sound.

If you think of it like a guitar (sort of), left hand selects chord position and right plucks the appropriate strings.

Top Top

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the same tune/pattern with some automatic accompaniment provided by another synth I built called the "Harmony Oracle." There's more about that in the thread about the "Melody Oracle" as well as the communication protocol that I use to get them to play together. ( http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-68735.html )

It is all CMOS logic gates and triggers, run in parallel, 3 bit for note selection, 3 bit for octave selection. Triggers for playing the harmony auto-accompaniment (set on the harmony oracle) can come from any of the pads, but are set in this video to come from two of them on the right hand.

mike page

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice! would love to see a schematic Razz
Top Top

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I never updated this thread. I made a number of changes and developed this thing through to a "product" which is available for purchase.

Here it is jamming with my other two offerings, the Melody Oracle, and Wave Expander (which is controlling a 3rd party modular synth).

All of these things are basically 100% CMOS though I wouldn't say they are exactly in the Lunetta style.

Anyway, this one, I made some alterations to the version earlier in the thread to simplify for the production version. The production version only has one set of tuners, and the "harmony" section is limited to generating 5ths, whereas the prototype version had completely independent harmony tuning. I've also simplified the touch sensor circuit down to only a single 40106 gate per touch plate.

In the finished version I also used 4016 analog switches to activate the octaves, instead of the diode VCAs shown here.

I also added a pair of bandpass filters using 4069UB gates, and using LDRs for modulation (demonstrated in the video below). The filter is not shown in the schematic. It's a twin T bandpass.

I've attached a draft schematic. It is possible there are errors in it. I don't actually have a finished schematic of the product, but this gives a ruff idea of how it works. There is an oscillator (with 8 note selections via trimpot tuners selected by a 3 touch plates switching the 4051 3 bit input) which goes into a 4040 octave divider, and a 4017 divider to generate 5ths. The 5th division also goes through an octave division. So you can select three octaves of each the root note and 5th harmony.

Also included is a page from the manual to show how the touch plates are laid out and how the touch plates apply to the tuners.

If there are other questions, I'm happy to answer, otherwise I'll save myself some typing and leave it at that.

One more closeup video, also showing the filter in action (not included in the schematic).

TOUCHTONES_DRAFT_SCHEM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.12 KB
 Viewed:  523 Time(s)

TOUCHTONES_DRAFT_SCHEM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 3.51.23 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  859.88 KB
 Viewed:  292 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 3.51.23 PM.png

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow!
amazing, I love everything about it.
great work!

and thanks for the schematic Very Happy

Last edited by PHOBoS on Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CHRISKELLY

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second that! Such an awesome synth sound-wise and design-wise.

I also love the whole triangle theme you kept (like with the melody oracle). Makes it all seem like they all fit together naturally.
Top Top

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys bigsmurf
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: