electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Drum
old digital drum machine
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: old digital drum machine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some recent drum sounds I have been working on, some already used in prf’s some not. The kick is new, it comes from a very old drum machine sample. In the early days of expensive memory, nothing was bigger than it had to be. The kick sample only had 5 or 6 significant cycles before decaying to zero. So I tried to match those cycles using a pair of EnvMulti’s. A third envmulti adds a carefully shaped noise envelope for the beater sound. It’s not the greatest kick I’ve heard but it is different and cheap.

There are some extra grey modules in the kit to assist the random drummer in the FX area, they simply thin out the crash and double the probability of a kick.

You can delete or replace the purple random drum logic in the FX area to use yourself. It simply provides a convenient way of auditioning the kit. Perhaps of interest is the LFOB1 and CompSig which combine to provide a little slop to the timing. The hihat is also here and not in the kit, hihats are almost too easy since the metal noise oscillator.

9000kit.pch2
 Description:
a few LIN9000ish sounds

Download
 Filename:  9000kit.pch2
 Filesize:  4.72 KB
 Downloaded:  2608 Time(s)

Bensen Raccoon

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi there,

i really like what you have done here, although i do not understand everything involved in gating your envelopes.

i was hoping you could email me a brief explanation of what is going on here.

thanks

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No need for email. Post here so many people can read it.

I like the drummer as well as the drums. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bensen Raccoon wrote:
i was hoping you could email me a brief explanation of what is going on here.

OK

All the drum triggers are derived from the (FX area) CompSig1 fed with LfoB1 saw tooth and the random output of the NoteQuant1, the random signal both selects 1 of 7 notes and provides a small delay to the trigger edge.

In the VA, 1 NoteDet goes to the snare, 2 for the kick combined with the OR gate which just allows both to trigger the kick for a higher probability. The third NoteDet is thinned with a RndTrig module so it only gets 25% of its triggers, the NOR gate prevents the crash cymbal retriggering during its decay cycle. The other 3 potential notes are not detected just to allow for ‘space’ between beats.

Hope that helps.
Bensen Raccoon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the explanation...

i have modified your patch by deleting everything that is not involved with the triggering of the bass drum, any subsequent questions i have beyond your explanation will refer specifically to that section of your patch... i will insert what i am looking at.

hopefully by breaking it apart i can better understand what is going on.

my first question relates to the note quantize module itself, aswell as how its used in your patch..

first of all you have the range set to +/-7, the rndclkA module is outputting a random value between 0 and +64. which presumably attenuates the imput down (in this case) to a ramdom value between 0 and +7. what i don't understand is what the output is since i don't understand the "Note" section means. say that random value at the imput is 3 then what is the output when the "Note" display reads 1? 2? off? 127?

Bensen Raccoon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i forgot to add the attached .ptch file

9000kit (bass drum only).pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  9000kit (bass drum only).pch2
 Filesize:  2.24 KB
 Downloaded:  1644 Time(s)

ian-s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bensen Raccoon wrote:
first of all you have the range set to +/-7, the rndclkA module is outputting a random value between 0 and +64. which presumably attenuates the imput down (in this case) to a ramdom value between 0 and +7. what i don't understand is what the output is since i don't understand the "Note" section means. say that random value at the imput is 3 then what is the output when the "Note" display reads 1? 2? off? 127?

You are correct, the NotQuant is both a scaler and quantizer, with the value set to off, it acts just like a linear level control on a mixer. The number one rounds all the values to the nearest whole value, so in the given example, you only get the numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Set to 3 would give the numbers 0,3,6 etc. Strictly speaking, the MIDI note send will round to the nearest note as well.
Bensen Raccoon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wonderful, thank you..
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Drum
Jump to: