electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Minimoog-Flavored filter
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Minimoog-Flavored filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I know, the purists may roll their eyes at yet another attempt to coax analog magic out of the DSP. But here it is anyway. It sounds very very close to my Moog Prodigy.

A basic LPF that includes a keyboard-tracking BPF to separate out the mid band of harmonics and feed them through a saturator, with a 1-ch mixer to add the saturated mids back into the signal, and then a keyboard-tracking LPF with another 1-ch mixer to boost the level of the fundamental & lower harmonics. Use the knobs in the green mixer modules to check out the effect. Enjoy!

MiniFlavoredFilter.pch2
 Description:
LPF with mid harmonic saturation & low harmonic boost.

Download
 Filename:  MiniFlavoredFilter.pch2
 Filesize:  2.27 KB
 Downloaded:  1996 Time(s)

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds excellent! IMO this is one of the most analogue sounding filters I've heard out of the G2, but then everyone's idea of analogue is different. My idea of analogue is slightly gritty and "phat", and this fits the bill. Thanks for yet another great patch Cool

By the way, I've been cleaning out my G2's banks and one patch that I can't bring myself to delete is FlamChimes1. I <3 that patch!
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Minimoog-Flavored filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds great and is very stimulating. I'm constantly futzing around alot with DIY filter circuits, but I mostly focus on the feedback characteristics. I've never thought of splitting the signal components and processing them like this. Gotta check this one out in detail. Thanks alot.

davep wrote:
Yeah, I know, the purists may roll their eyes at yet another attempt to coax analog magic out of the DSP.

I often consider myself an analogue purist of sorts. I even pondered the idea of picking up on synth DIY a while ago. However, I had a funny experience lately that tought me a lesson: I had come up with a fun idea on the G2 that uses resonating bandpass filters in some ways. I thought "Gee, sounds nice, but I bet it sounds far better on real analogue." So I walked over to the Alesis Andromeda and started to recreate it there. And guess what: It didn't come off at all! The analogue filters with all their quirks were totally unsuitable for this kind of patch. The steeped-in-legend "musicality" of analogue components sounded pretty UNmusical here. I really fell in love with digital filters at that moment. love
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Minimoog-Flavored filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
The steeped-in-legend "musicality" of analogue components sounded pretty unmusical here. I really fell in love with digital filters at that moment.

at last Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Minimoog-Flavored filter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
tim wrote:
The steeped-in-legend "musicality" of analogue components sounded pretty unmusical here. I really fell in love with digital filters at that moment.

at last Very Happy

Razz aww, get out of here, Carlo! Laughing
davep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:

By the way, I've been cleaning out my G2's banks and one patch that I can't bring myself to delete is FlamChimes1. I <3 that patch!

Thanks! Ya know, I've never been real proud of the factory sounds I made. Not enough time, didn't have a manual, quack quack quack. Nice to hear that folks are getting some use out of them!

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That LPF path really adds a nice bottom end. People in the 70s would say it gives the sound balls. I assume saying that is quite dated these days. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

balls are outdated? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GREAT patching, Dave... I really like the sound of this filter!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Balls, no not outdated I guess, this is the website of skiptracer, a young NMer on this forum, he can't be outdated.

Some nice surprises in those tracks BTW.

Sorry Dave for the OT here, but things just happened to coincide, It's a nice filter. and btw how was your asia trip ?

davep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Sorry Dave for the OT here, but things just happened to coincide, It's a nice filter. and btw how was your asia trip ?

Hi Jan!

The trip was absolutely amazing! But I'll let you all see for yourselves. I'll soon be sending about 25 of the best photos to Howard, who has offered to put them up somewhere so everybody can check them out.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, good to hear, nice !
SYnTHaJoY

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy i think im a little too late to join this discussion...but i still wanna ask a question about this great patch...why did u invert the phase of the signal
after the second LP filter?...i have to tell u before that im moving the firsts steps in this field so dont be amazed if the question is too stupid Embarassed

thanks

Matteo
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SYnTHaJoY wrote:
too stupid

It's pretty smart to ask when you don't know .. and I'd like to see it answered as well :-)

davep

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

Well, the answer is, I don't know why I had to invert the signal, but it is necessary. I started without the inverter, and when I turned up the knob on the green "LoHarms" mixer I expected to hear a boost to the lower harmonics (the dull sounding signal from the "LoHarms" low pass filter being added to the rest of the signal). But as I turned up the knob, it did not behave as I expected. I heard almost no boost to the low harmonics. I thought perhaps the polarity of the signal was being inverted somehow and cancelling out when it was added to the rest of the signal (maybe something to do with the different filter types?), so I added the inverter and presto! Now the knob adds low harmonic boost as I had expected. But I don't know why....

Dave Peck

Blue Hell wrote:
SYnTHaJoY wrote:
too stupid

It's pretty smart to ask when you don't know .. and I'd like to see it answered as well Smile

SYnTHaJoY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Thanks 4 your readiness Dave...i supposed that something like of phase cancellation happened in the process..i just wanted to know in which stage the polarity changes to add some + to my small knowledge of
this world Very Happy

to Jan: thanks.. i ve got so much to learn from the 98% of the people that post here that i feel my questions to seem childish... Smile

Matteo
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SYnTHaJoY wrote:
i ve got so much to learn from the 98% of the people that post here that i feel my questions to seem childish... Smile

Please do not feel that way. I've been doing modular synth patching for longer than most members here have been alive. I read your questions and couldn't figure it out either. There are no childish or stupid questions. But, to make people feel more comfortable, we've added the little Beginner icon Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. you can tag your message with, as I have done for this message. Then there is no need to apologize (in truth there never is any need to apologize).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SYnTHaJoY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Thanks....hope to switch soon from head banging monitor to thumb up
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: