electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Filters
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Filters
Subject description: Two new 24dB filter blocks, ready to use
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In this patch are two new DIY filter blocks that can easily be copied into your own patches. Just copy one of the green blocks and perhaps the filter control block.

The first bright green block is a set of two 12 dB poles combined to a 24 dB filter with a little ripple in the passband. The two poles are tuned and have a basic fixed resonance setting according to Chebyshev filter parameters. This type of filter has a sharper cutoff corner at lower resonance settings. Final resonance is created by an inverted feedback loop over the two poles.
An important feature of this filter is that it keeps the volume in the passband at roughly the same level when the resonance is raised.
The resonance is also slightly damped in the very high part of the spectrum, resulting in a very spatious character of the filter sound. If you compare it with the other filters in the patch you can hear that it retains the reverberant character of the unison sound much better as the other filters.

The second lighter green block is a modification of the Classic filter. By creating an external (inverted) resonance feedback loop it is possible to add some of the input signal when the resonance is raised. This overcomes one of the main problems of classic 'ladder-type' filters: that when the resonance is raised the level in the passband is severely reduced by some 12dB, plus some extra [GC] reduction in the digital filter to prevent internal clipping. The Clavia Classic filter has a slight compressive odd harmonic distortion built in on its input. But normally when the resonance is raised the drop in level is só much that there is hardly any effect of this odd harmonic distortion. By this mod the distortion has more audible effect, though still at a moderate level (as it probably should be).

For comparison the Classic filter and the Nord filter are added to the patch as well. Note that resonances in this patch are set by morph group eight, so a fair comparison is easy to do. Use the Filter parameter page to set the knobs and switch between the filters. Which one you like best is up to you, though personally I like the Chebyshev filter very much, especially at lower to medium resonance settings.

Load this patch in SlotA to have a sequencer in the FX section play the voices automatically by internal MIDI (not on demo software).

FilterComparison.pch2
 Description:
A new type of 24dB filter and a modification of the Clavia Classic filter, plus the Classic filter and the Nord filter to compare.

Download
 Filename:  FilterComparison.pch2
 Filesize:  4.54 KB
 Downloaded:  1916 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent most masterful one...

What's great is the way you hooked these filters up so you can easilly compare them under various settings of resonance and cutoff frequency.

I certainly agree with you that the Chebyshev is nicer. To me it sounds best when the cutoff frequency is low. Under normal garden variety uses, it's probably not worth the trouble, but when you want a nice "ballsy" filter, this one would be my choice. Now that you patched it up, I can use it. Before it was just something I studied in text books.

If there is enough capacity in the G2 OS, I'd like to see Clavia add this Chebyshev filter to the available module collections - after the put in the fixed filter bank, of course.

Thanks, Rob...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: