electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » FX
Lexicon Vortex emulator
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Rix

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Lexicon Vortex emulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My friend Mathe ( aka electri-fire) is a huge fan of the Lexicon Vortex. Here's our implementation of one of the most simple algorytms on the G2.
Witch is "reflexion" , a envelope followed stereo Detune , left and right channels are delayed , these signals are panned left and right.

Detune L+R are on Knob 1+2,
Echo Feedback Knob 3+4,
Rate1 and 2 (pan) Knob 5+6,
Depth1 and 2 knob 7+8.

It's a Mega project to duplicate the depth and user interface of the Vortex, but we can't wait to post, so updates will/may come later.

Schematic of the algorytm: (look at " Reflexion")

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andybutler/vortex/vortex_user_guide.pdf

To do: Detune and Echo levels on page two. Tap Tempo or MIDI clock sync for the Echo,proper A and B settings and "one knob Morph" etc. etc..

This is just a snippet of the things a Real Vortex can do. We're pleased to get this algo as far as this though.

VORTEX REFLECTION2.pch2
 Description:
Lexicon Vortex reflection patch

Download
 Filename:  VORTEX REFLECTION2.pch2
 Filesize:  1.93 KB
 Downloaded:  2294 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lexicon Vortex emulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rix wrote:
It's a Mega project to duplicate the depth and user interface of the Vortex,

But it's fun to play with already Very Happy

Calude Voiot

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Wow Wow
Currently away from my rig I cannot test your progress but if you could document your work some of the "modules" could be used for the other Vortex algos.
ASAP I'll join in with one of my own already done Vortex patch emulation made around Atmosphere B (very incomplete though)

I'm happy to see more advanced patchers taking the Vortex challenge because those Lexicon algos are really difficult to decipher (for _my_ limited understanding of the audio manglings and G2 tricks)

Calude

PS: to all if you find one, buy it, it is a wonderful creative instrument
you usually find them around 200-250 $[/quote]
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Calude,

Ah, another Vortex interestee ! What gigant waves of anticipating fun! Let´s tweak our patches and give our honored readers the most authentic Vortex Experience! More extaltic and over the top blah! (ok, that´ll do)

> I'm happy to see more advanced patchers taking the Vortex challenge because those Lexicon algos are really difficult to decipher (for _my_ limited understanding of the audio manglings and G2 tricks)

We used the Reflextion algorythm as a pilot project for it's relatively simple structure. Nothing very advanced, we used standard modules , the sometimes deceptively simple Vortex routings involve frequent use of mixers.
The Resonance parameter feeds the Detune module output back to it's input, requiring (sigh...) yet another mixer.
To prevent me turning into a stammering lunatic we kept the schematic in the Vortex user guide very close at hand for frequent reference.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andybutler/vortex/vortex_user_guide.pdf

>ASAP I'll join in with one of my own already done Vortex p
atch emulation made around Atmosphere B (very incomplete though)

I'm looking forward to it.
Rix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

We were flattered to see Blue Hell Jan make a noodle with the above vortex experiment.
see the thread here: http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=vortex&t=13627

We've been tweaking the delay, now with genuine double delay and better loop headroom. (it worked for us....)

Sorry, this thread has been started in the "completed patches" by error , we're still tweaking, and have more in the making. The moderator can make a summary later on I suppose.

Calude, you still there? Dying to see your input....

Rix , electri-fire

Vortex overdub looper 1.0.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vortex overdub looper 1.0.pch2
 Filesize:  3.24 KB
 Downloaded:  1906 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rix wrote:
We were flattered to see Blue Hell Jan make a noodle with the above vortex experiment.

I might just do so again ... the idea of having the incoming amplitude control the loop injection was new to me and it is great fun to play with. I made some additional circuitery and changed things a bit (1) and it does some amazing stuff on a few of my old noodles now. Only occasionally though, I can't get a good working overall structure yet (not a problem of the FX of course), might post something later on though.

Re. wrong thread. This may be experimental, but it's definitely an FX that I would be able to find back occasionally. So I'd rather not move it, "G2 Patches Completed/FX" serves my purpose very well - and there aint too many patches here anyway Very Happy

(1) Put the high cut filter in the loop (only), so it dampens the echoes only and doesn't make the overall sound too dull. Added a saturation module in the loop to allow for a bit of subtle distortion. Thought it to be a waste to have delays with four outputs and to not use 'm, so I added two crossfading multiplexers controlled by a random LFO to get auto variation in the loop times. Finally I added frequency shifters in some of the delay taps.

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
......the idea of having the incoming amplitude control the loop injection was new to me and it is great fun to play with.

It's my most favorite feature of vortex, when this eventually has been tweaked towards perfection it would be nice to extract this "AmplitudeControlledFbk" into a standalone buildingblock to "vortexise" other effect modules.

Quote:
Thought it to be a waste to have delays with four outputs and to not use 'm, so I added two crossfading multiplexers controlled by a random LFO to get auto variation in the loop times. Finally I added frequency shifters in some of the delay taps.

I adapted Rob Hordijks "recirculating delay" that used the DelayQuad. I left it for future use in "non vintage style" vortex like patches.
I will be using single delays preferably though. Adding more delay taps changes the gain in the loop, so it's harder to maintain the endless loop that is essential to the vortex feel. Loose the loop and you've just created a couple of over the top delays.
That said, can I limit the maximum feedback and scale to have the full range of the knob?

Four delays will do the "Clocked" option: Delay A, Delay B, DelayQuad , Delay Stereo.

Quote:
Added a saturation module in the loop to allow for a bit of subtle distortion.

Yes, I had this in another version. Also is a cheaper way to tame the volume in the feedback path. I used the compressor and filter to prevent us getting tinnitis and to keep it a more generic buildingblock.

Maybe the filter could be eliminated, I've hardly used it so far.

Ok, I've used DelayA's in the next patch, and these have filter built in.

edit: the patch accidentaly has it's delay filters closed. I've tried assigning both filters to a Morph on Knob6.
( Do the knobs work? I edit in the standalone Demo version while not at Rix's homestudio.)

electri-fire

Vortex cheaper.pch2
 Description:
cheaper Vortex overdub looper

Download
 Filename:  Vortex cheaper.pch2
 Filesize:  3.72 KB
 Downloaded:  2222 Time(s)

Rix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Vortex Centrifuge B patch + demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, the weekly update Smile

Another nice Vortex patch, we think.

the modulation section has a dual rotary adapted from "ik" 's hammondwlesly patch from the Buildig Blocks section around here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=leslie&t=5172

The envelope follower that's ever present in a vortex patch decreases modulation speed.
The delay is a cross feedback affair as used in several vortex algo's including this go at the Centrifuge B patch. , doing left-right alterations and rhytm mutations.

We've did a quick recording of a Boss Dr-880 and a Burns guitar through the patch together, with a bass sound from the (sorry, another roland) Fantom.

The patch as posted is used in the recording, just selecting some quick adjustments to the clock devisions.

Rix, electri-fire

Vortex_Centrifuge_B.pch2
 Description:
the patch

Download
 Filename:  Vortex_Centrifuge_B.pch2
 Filesize:  4.19 KB
 Downloaded:  2197 Time(s)

floydless.mp3
 Description:
we called it Floydless, don't know why...

Download
 Filename:  floydless.mp3
 Filesize:  4.34 MB
 Downloaded:  1607 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » FX
Jump to: