electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Genevieve and Howard Moscovitz
Here is my Concerto for Alto Flute and Electronics. It was composed for my daughter, Genevieve. She graduated as a music major from Oberlin in June, 2000. This piece was one of several she performed at her senior recital.

The piece is in three movements. The electronics were realized on a Clavia Nord Modular synthesizer which was multi-tracked digitally. In performance, the alto flute is performed live with the electronics part played from a CD on a stereo PA system. Thus, the performer can rehearse with the CD.

The flute part was intended to be improvised throughout, but I provided an example flute track for each movement which I improvised on synthesizer. My daughter liked my improvisation for the second movement so much that I "wrote out" the part and she plays from a score in the live performance and on this recording.

Most people like the second movement the best. It was up on mp3.com for several years and I received many nice comments from people. I hope you like it.

m3 w Genni.mp3
 Description:
Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics - Movement 3
By Howard Moscovitz

Genevieve Moscovitz - Alto Flute

Copyright 2000 by Howard Moscovitz, all rights reserved

Download
 Filename:  m3 w Genni.mp3
 Filesize:  3.87 MB
 Downloaded:  4712 Time(s)

m2 w Genni.mp3
 Description:
Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics - Movement 2
By Howard Moscovitz

Download
 Filename:  m2 w Genni.mp3
 Filesize:  3.56 MB
 Downloaded:  4636 Time(s)

m1 w Genni.mp3
 Description:
Concerto For Alto Flute and Electronics - Movement 1
By Howard Moscovitz

Download
 Filename:  m1 w Genni.mp3
 Filesize:  3.19 MB
 Downloaded:  4683 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow..really excellent

loved the electronics and the haunting flute...superlative recording as well..

this must have been amazing to see live..if not to witness what the audience thought about it

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. The live performance was electrifying. The Oberlin people are very open minded and very well versed on contemporary music. There were also a lot of friends of my daughter. She played fantastically. I can't say I've ever heard a piece of new music as well received. It was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spacek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

j'aime beaucoup le 3ème titre, très atmosphérique

quick translation: I like your works !
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should be very proud. I like the third movement the best, followed by the second.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff! These are the same files you had over at mp3.com way back? Same encodings?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
AgentA

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, I grabbed these from mp3.com just before they died.
With "movement one" I get a kick out of the irregular percussion, as though you were doing it with tongue in cheek. Are one of the hits a vocal sample? It reminds of the sounds from one of the mechanical arcade games where you hit the creature that pops out of one of the holes in a row with a mallet. Was there any humor behind this or am I way off?

The flute is marvelous and I dig the electronic sounds in contrast.

All three are cool by me but it was one and two that I chose to add to Headtones Radio months ago, btw thanks for getting the link to work.

I have to d/l again, as Elektro80 makes me wonder if these are of better quality than the mp3.com files, reencoded or whatever.

I notice stats in your post, is this a feature with uploading attachments in general?

Thanks for sharing this Howard.

tones for the head
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, for some reason these files subjectivelly sounds better than those I got from mp3.com. Small issues... like microdetails sounds better.. more body to the sounds.. better stereofield.. some grunginess is gone.. small things..
I seem to remember I had the same experience listning to the encodings I did myself and then listening to my own files from my mp3.com page. I wonder if they did some kind of reencoding of uploaded files..?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jeff harrington

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah this piece really is special, Howard. I think I may have heard it back at MP3.COM but these do sound much better. Every movement has an intense personal approach to mixing the live with the bizarre electro-acoustic backdrops. Fantastic!

Very Happy

Love that third movement with the bubbly granular things and the calm flute on top. Very effective.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for such great comments. I appreciate it so much.
Agent wrote:
... "movement one" ... Was there any humor behind this or am I way off?

Yes, certainly the 1st movement is tongue in cheek. Once it was clear to me that for logistical reasons the flute was not going to have any processing, the challenge was how to get such a beautiful sonorous acoustical instrument to play with the electronics. So in the first movement, I just threw them at each other, with a percussion section to hold things together. The flute reacts to all the electronic gyrations to which it can't keep up by trying to convince it to calm down, and mellow out. My hope was that the first movement would remove as many of the audience's preconceptions of what this music was going to sound like. If they can't hear it as humorous, amusing and a little intriguing, then they should be a bit anxious and disoriented. It's a setup for what is to follow.

I tried to make the second movement like a Mozart concerto's second movement; simply beautiful; slow tempo; relaxed; harmonic; lyrical.

The third movement is very challenging for the flute because the electronics is very textural. I didn't want too much drama. After the sonorous second movement, my hope was that people would be ready for listening to the electronic sounds and hear them as beautiful in their own right, just as I do. It's up to the flute player to figure out how to play along. At first this was quite difficult so I added the string bass part which anchored things which gave the flute a lot more freedom. I was thrilled when Genevieve added on that little folky ending. Every time she plays it quite differently.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elektro80 wrote:
I had the same experience listning to the encodings I did myself and then listening to my own files from my mp3.com page. I wonder if they did some kind of reencoding of uploaded files..?

As far as I can tell, those are the same mp3 files I originally sent up to mp3.com, but you are probably right. When I first encoded these files, I was surprised at how good they sounded. In fact, I was quite amazed. Then after several months, I had someone over visiting the studio and decided to play this piece for them. I already had the browser open so I loaded the mp3.com page just clicked on the HiFi link. Wow, was I shocked at how muddy it sounded. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

It never occured to me that they would reencode the tracks! I thought that I had previously misjudged the quality of the mp3 encoding. I was quite bewildered at how I could have possibly been so wrong in thinking that mp3 was of any value at all. In retrospect, I bet they reencoded things to save bandwidth and diskspace. Scheesh... Rolling Eyes.

These encoding were done with the Fronhaufer encoder at 128 kbs. I've sense downloaded the Lame encoder which have VBR encoding. This seems to be much better. The best is the ogg, in my opinion.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AgentA wrote:
I notice stats in your post, is this a feature with uploading attachments in general?

Yes, works for all kinds of attachments.

BTW, we now have lots of bandwidth and disk capacity. There are quotas for obvious reasons, but we can increase them for any contributing members here. If you want your own forum in the Artists section, just ask. (Send me a PM or email).

Hehe, I promise: we will never reencode your music.
enufo

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very interesting, never I have listened to something thus, has liked much..., this is really weird and original..., greetings!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you...
Johan Zwart

Audio files: 19
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see why your daughter liked the second part. She must be the romantic type, because it has a nice melangolic/longing edge to it.
although I liked the second and third part the best, together they form a nice triptych.

Also I liked the way you used the Modular. I'm working on a way to combine my Micro Modular with an Iranian folksong. But it is very easy to fall into cliche's.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. I use the NM like a Moog Modular, only it's better because of the polyphony. That is to say, I use very simple patches.
genevieve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really enjoyed performing this piece and reading all your wonderful comments. Thanks to everyone!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum, Genevieve.

This is your first post, but you are already my favorite poster. love love love welcome

You made my day, sweetie...
Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: hey! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why havent i been in this section before? O_O
and downloading this neat stuff Very Happy

Mosc, you inspire me to go back to my previuos
styles, I remember my "7.5 bits of love" when I hear this
kinda music. Very Happy

part 3 is hilarious!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dmosc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

too tempting to add to this. To get the full experience of the first movement, you have to visualize mosc wincing in evil pleasure at anything non-traditional and laughing at your attempt to keep your poker face during the music.

I went to the premier, although I think I was backstage for the playing. I must say, oberlin is THE PLACE if you want an open minded audience.
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard, i especially like the electonics in the piece. I have studied the flute as well, so i missed some extended techniques(like key claps, dubble tones etc.) that would made the piece more complete. Now, the piece is walking on different feelings, in my point of view.(sorry, for the crittics).If you want i can give you some guide lines for that. Mail me private then:) Did you now f.i.you can get some beautiful ring mod like sounds from the flute? keep one note steady, but make with your voice a glide. That sorta things. I made several pieces for flute and electronics, if you're interested i can send you a cd.(a bit dated pieces). One composer for flute solo i can recoment you is the Japanese composer Fukushima, esp. his Requem,
Beautifull! You can hear somebody is a gonner. And after that...............
a beautifull quitness in just a few notes(as bells), breathtaking. With quarter notes. But... a big kiss to Genevieve, you did great work there. And (as i think) its a medival name, so as named after a knight i bow for you:)

Last edited by Roland Kuit on Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
orczy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard,
I listened to the second movement. This is very beautiful, and I think you have achievd the Mozart quality, the lyricism of the flute part. The electronics with the flute is a great combination. The "noisiness" of the elctronics juxtaposed with the pure flute tone is quite magical. I will download the other mvts to listen to it in it's entirety.
Is your daughter still interested in this sort of piece. One of my tutor did a piece for flute and electronics, called "Sound Cylinder". A very good piece. I have seen it performed several times, once at our town hall (very good acoustics). Maybe she would be interested in this piece. I can easily get a recording and a score (I think)
I love the instrument electronics piece. I attempted one once, for oboe. The two parts never worked together, but fortunately, the electronic part was successful by itself (phew, my 2nd year grade was depending on it!).
Listening to the mvt again. Really lovely and honest. Organic, which considering the medium, is a true triumph.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Somehow I must have miss the comment from Static and Roland.

Roland, you are right, there aren't any unusual or advanced flute sounds in this piece. That's up to the performer. I have mixed feelings about these techniques. Naturally I like them, but sometimes they make me think that they are an attempt to make the flute sound electronic. Most of this piece is about the contrast between the electronic and the acoustic. As for the advanced techniques, you can talk directly to Genevieve at the electro-music 2005 event. Smile

Static, glad you appreciate the humor in this.

Mustel. Glad you like the 2nd movement. It is the favorite movement of most people. Being mentioned in the same sentence as Mozart is more than I deserve, but it makes my day nevertheless - thanks. Smile Actually, I was thinking "What would Mozart do?" constantly when this was being composed. He's the concerto master, IMHO. I have a funny feeling about most of the Mozart concerti - the 1st and 3rd movements are designed as frames or settings for the 2nd which is almost always the gem. I'm not sure Genevieve has the opportunity to perform flute music too much these days, but I'll send her an email to make sure she reads your offer.

roscoeXP

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW!!

i was drawn in by the word 'Electronics' in the subject line, 'Concerto' and Alto Flute' aren't my usual bag u c? but, i like it. i like it a lot.

i think i'm a seond movement person i think. really atmospheric and beautiful. nice. i dont know what else to say...

except thanks! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks so much. Glad you like it. Very Happy

BTW, where are you located. Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: