electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
TM-3 VCO and korg ms-20?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
chinard

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: TM-3 VCO and korg ms-20? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, im trying to get my TM-3 VCO working with my old Korg MS-20

I figured these two would be a good match due to the fact that they both speak Hz/V for scaling.
So i picked one up and started to experement with it.

I pretty much just hooked the CV-Out from the ms-20 to the CV in of the TM-3, then hooked the audio out to the EXT SIGNAL of my ms-20 and turned down the VCO1 and 2 levels on my ms-20 so that im only hearing the TM-3

What i found was that the keyboard on the MS-20 is a few octaves TOO HIGH to work with the TM-3's octave range.
I tried a few experements with an external attenuator off my Moog CP-251 control processor to try to bring it down a couple of octaves by reducing the voltage, but the scaling is still way off.

Has anybody else played around with this combination and possibly have any better ideas on how to use it with a MS-20?
metasonix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you might try adjusting the scale and offset inside the TM-3 to suit the MS20 keyboard. I don't have an MS20, so don't know if it will work, but I've heard that is it possible, with recalibration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chinard

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you have a document that covers recalibration on these?

Or at least a brief description as to which trimpot i should be looking at before i open the case on this?
Ive noticed that there are 3 plugs on the front of the unit, do you get at the recalibration through these holes?
thermionicjunky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rather than fool around with the tm-3 , you should try , with a digital voltmeter , routing the cv through input 1 or 2 of the cp-251's mixer. Using a combination of offset and attenuation , try to get a low C from your keyboard to read 0 volts , the octave above to read 0.25 volts and the octave above that to read 0.75. You will also have to adjust the tm-3 pitch controls.

By the way , for people who demand equal temperament {or precise exotic tuning} from thyratron vco's using a keyboard , the Doepfer touch-sensor keyboard/sequencer project seems to be near fruition after years of taunting. It looks like the perfect companion for Metasonix oscillators.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
Jump to: