electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
A DIY "no-MIDI" guitar controller for 1V/Octave synths
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [68 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
stefano

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: A DIY "no-MIDI" guitar controller for 1V/Octave synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

I'd like to build a device that accepts as input a guitar jack and generates as output a 1V/Octave for controlling the (VCO's) oscillators of a synth Idea .
I hope it is possible without using MIDI technology.
Does anyboy have a link to a schematics. I could design a pcb for others (if interested)
Bye
Cool
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how abt the LM2917 - Frequency to Voltage Converter? Cool
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2917.html
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://hammer.ampage.org/files/GuitarP2V.PDF

cheers

OLLIE
stefano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankyou Ollie,
That's what I was searching for Very Happy !!. I'll get through the whole project as soon as possible.
Thank-you again
Bye
Very Happy
LukeDI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Best of luck, these things are notoriously hard to get to work right. If you can get it to work though the result is well worth it.
Chrometuna

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stefano wrote:
Thankyou Ollie,
That's what I was searching for Very Happy !!. I'll get through the whole project as soon as possible.
Thank-you again
Bye
Very Happy

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know how this works out for you!

It seems very fitting in with an idea I had about controlling a synth with a modified bass guitar (Maybe see my "Bass Fishing For CV" thread?)

The circuits look a bit over my head....unless I found a 'kit' that I could just soldier up.

Let me know if you find any other solutions or ideas for this sort of device.

Dig it.

Cheers
bob c
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm gonna give a shot at making one once I can get my press-n-peel thingies ordered. Getting a 404 when trying to place an order -_~
stefano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: 4011BE
Subject description: ...ERROR FOUND in the article
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synth_ollie wrote:
http://hammer.ampage.org/files/GuitarP2V.PDF

cheers

OLLIE

In the fig.3 there is clearly represented for IC11 a Quad NOR port.
In the part list there is a 4011 for IC11 that is a Quad NAND Evil or Very Mad !!
The correct IC to buy is 4001 (NOR ports) as stated in the legenda of fig. 3.

Keeping on debugging..... before soldering!

Bye
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But it the text (textini) on page 15 it mentions 2 input NOR gates!
stefano

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: OA91 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Very Happy
I have almost completed the list of the components needed to build the Guitar To Synth by Penfold.
There are also two OA91 (germanium diodes). Do you think that two AA117 can be valid substitutes ?
Stay tuned Cool
Bye
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There are also two OA91 (germanium diodes). Do you think that two AA117 can be valid substitutes ?

Yeah, any old Ge should work.
-justin[/quote]
Chrometuna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A DIY "no-MIDI" guitar controller for 1V/Octave synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kinda off topic.

But THIS looks kinda fun:
http://toolmonger.com/2006/12/05/how-to-build-your-own-custom-full-sized-wireless-guitar-hero-controller/1/

Maybe an odd challenge for circuit benders?
stefano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject:  Power issue Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm waiting for ICs' Guitar2Synth to come from banzaieffects.. in the meanwhile I'm considering Idea to power a lot of things that should ( ? ) work from a single 240 VAC source.

- Mini Sound Lab (ok, it works @+-12V)
- Ray Wilson's Guitar Trigger (it should work @+-12V))
- Robert Penfold's Guitar to Synth (ok, it works @+-12V)

I want to implement this Bipolar Power Supply:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bipolar_ps.pdf
using a 240/220 to 15/18 VAC transformer and 7812/7912 regulators.

I am wondering about the right amperage of the transformer:
Do you think a 1000 mA tranny is sufficient ?
Bye
stefano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: A DIY "no-MIDI" guitar controller for 1V/Octave synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrometuna wrote:
Kinda off topic.

http://toolmonger.com/2006/12/05/how-to-build-your-own-custom-full-sized-wireless-guitar-hero-controller/1/

Shocked I wouln't be so brave to slash my axe.... !! Shocked
Chrometuna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A DIY "no-MIDI" guitar controller for 1V/Octave synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stefano wrote:
Chrometuna wrote:
Kinda off topic.

Shocked I wouln't be so brave to slash my axe.... !! Shocked

Theres all kinds of really cheap-o basses and guiatrs on Ebay.

$75 bucks. And yeah, its gonna be a peice of crap. BUT, for me and it being an expiremental project, thats probably what I'll get. Unless a very cheap bass falls into my lap locally.

For something like hacking a guitar hero controller, things like intonation and action just wont matter.

But my real project is more about using the frets and strings as a circuit for controlling Ray's single buss keyboard circuit. And being a bass, the non-polyphany (Single note, return to 'base' just like any stringed instrument)

But I think it WOULD be fun to do the guitar hero hack, and then hack the game itself to play your OWN songs...and do that live with a big screen TV!

Live performances SHOULD be fun visually!
henq

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A DIY "no-MIDI" guitar controller for 1V/Octave synths Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Chrometuna"]
Quote:

But my real project is more about using the frets and strings as a circuit for controlling Ray's single buss keyboard circuit.

i have seen pictures of a guitar with a synth built in that worked that way...
if i remember correctly the frets where also cut in 6 pieces so you could really play al the notes.
it was a hollow body and 50 of them where made (thats what i remember reading)

it would make a great instrument i think...
stefano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Mini Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all

Razz
I'd have some question for you about some mods I'm going to do (or not?) for controlling the Ray Wilaons Mini Sound Lab with the Guitar to Synth by Penfold

1) Penfold's device generates a trigger signal of +5V. Do I need to modify this level in order to trigger the Mini Sound Lab ?

2) Penfold's device generates a LOGARITHMIC Control Voltage law. Do you think I need to convert it to a LINEAR law ?

Thankyou in advance
Cool
Bye

--)) Stefano ((--
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what about the MS20 interface? (just a guess)
i once had a MS20 - that was in the time before those analogues where "in" again - and i remember controling it with a guitar and even a micro...

synth_ollie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the ms20 interface is great, only that its a hz/v design and not oct/v....
stefano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: L555 ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked
I have a terrible doubt :
I couldn't find any datasheet about the L555, so I supposed it it a Timer and I am using a NE555. In your opinion, am I right ?
Confused
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I have a terrible doubt :
I couldn't find any datasheet about the L555, so I supposed it it a Timer and I am using a NE555. In your opinion, am I right ?

Should be fine.
-justin
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been wanting to build a circuit like this forever as well. I studied this one that you're building... but it looked too complicated for me to do without a kit or PCB at least.

I already have an MS20, but, I'd like to also have a stand-alone freq/volt convertor.

I once tried to assemble the MS20 circuit, but couldn't get it to work. I hope you have better luck with the circuit you're working on (you probably will-- I'm just new to DIY synth electronics, and don't really completely understand alot of the things I'm building).

I've also thought of buying/sampling one of those Analog Devices Freq/Volt ICs and experimenting with it. Maybe using some filter, schmitt-trigger, and/or Sample and Hold configuration to stabilize the input frequency. Seems like this might be an easier or less problematic solution than others I've seen.

But then, I just wonder why no one else seems to have tried it before (at least I haven't found anyone yet who has). Makes me think it's more complicated than it appears.

Really love to know how your project comes out. I'm hoping very much that it works for you-- that would give me more confidence to try it myself...

On this same subject, I was really hoping the new Mooger-Fooger would accomplish this task-- but unfortunately not. It still looks like a really cool effect/processor/instrument... but unfortunately no Freq to Voltage.
stefano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: First success
Subject description: .. but a lot of work is still needed ..
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stefano wrote:
Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation SOMEHOW, IT STARTED TO WORK !!!!! Razz Laughing Very Happy Smile Exclamation

PRODUCTION OF SAMPLES AND PHOTOS IN PROGRESS.... Cool

Yes, sir, yesterday the Penfold F2V Guitar to Synth Interface started to convert guitar frequencies to voltage. I say "SOMEHOW" because I had to make a little mod (or bypass) to start it work. And I think that the device is not working in the way that Penfold designed it... but it WORKS.

I suspected that the signal path "stopped" at the gates of the quad switch 4016BE (I use a MC14016BCP for IC4). IC4 is driven at pin 13 (control pin) by a signal coming from pin 4 of IC11b, so I wondered what would have happened if pin 1 and pin 2 of IC4 would have always connected (like if the control al pin 13 was always enabled). The easiest way to do this is to **short** pin 1 and pin 2 of IC4. I did it and immediately the circuit started to convert frequencies to voltages.
The mini sound lab accepted the 1V/Octave scale produced by Penfold P2V.
I played an A (5th guitar string), tuned the osc-1 Minisoundlab and VR2 (shift control). Then I played the same string at the 12th fret (1octave up) and I used the VR3 (gain control) to tune the sound from the oscillator.

I didn't win the war, but I think at least a good battle! I'm on my way to completely debug this circuit because I don't actually like this bypass Twisted Evil .
Next step I'd like to do with an oscilloscope (any advice accepted Very Happy ):
- controlling the signal at (IC11 pin 4) = (IC4 pin 13) (after generation of quad switch control signal)
- controlling the signal at IC10 pin 6 (before generation of quad switch control signal)

Stay tuned
Macaba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Being a digital junkie, my solution would be to sample the guitar audio with a DSPic, (A digital signal processor), do a fast fourier transform on the input signal, and simply find the most dominant frequency from the transform output, and then output a voltage using a DAC. Very Happy
stefano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Macaba wrote:
Being a digital junkie, my solution would be to sample the guitar audio with a DSPic, (A digital signal processor), do a fast fourier transform on the input signal, and simply find the most dominant frequency from the transform output, and then output a voltage using a DAC. Very Happy

Before sampling the guitar signal would you apply a low pass filter ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [68 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: