electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Online Music
Sunshine 5pm
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
fky

Audio files: 23
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Sunshine 5pm
Subject description: Synthpop
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sometime I played and recored some synth pop songs.
It is a track I recorded last year.

Music / Synth / mixed by f.k.y
Vocal by Kai.

All sounds from Alesis Micron

Sunshine 5pm.mp3
 Description:
Synth Pop

Download
 Filename:  Sunshine 5pm.mp3
 Filesize:  6.59 MB
 Downloaded:  2694 Time(s)

Kerr_Avon

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Hmmm, Vocal effect gilding the lilly? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to hear the vocal without the effect on. It make it difficult to understand and, for me, is unecessary. With all the electronics going on anyway, a clean and seductive vocal in a fixed position would take the all electronic curse off and let the whispering quality of the voice come through. Go-on, you know you want to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the song - particularly the gorgeous lead synth. But really don't like the singing. Sorry.
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your arrangement and synth sounds are well-done.

I agree that the voice processing tends to distract rather than enhance.

If you like the "voice thru a stereo flanger" effect try it with background drones and harmonies that sit farther back in the mix.

As far as singing, there are a couple of things you might want to consider.

1) Perhaps you are singing to the microphone rather than to an audience -- or perhaps you are singing softly as to not disturb people in the next room! Wink

Though your track calls for soft singing you want to project your voice to an imaginary concert hall -- use the mic to capture the performance rather than as the audience itself.

2) Try to react to the music more with your voice and expression. Sing softly and chant-like when the drums are silent. When the drums play, sing as if you are cueing off of them.

3) Sometimes the vocal track and the syncopated "fantasy piano" sound interfere with each other. You might consider placing the "fantasy piano" farther back in the mix while you are singing.

Regarding the "fantasy piano" (I am calling it that for lack of a better term) you might want to set up a controller that varies the envelope and/or timbre of the sound -- while the voice is singing, use a short envelope and then go back to the envelope you have now for the solos.

The reason that I picked up on the voice part is that I personally am very self-conscious about singing. My attempts to sing are met with heckles from my teenagers. (lately, they say the judges on American Idol have been overly-mean. Trying singing in front of your own kids...) Thus, on the few occasions I attempt to lay down a vocal track, I feel self-conscious -- after all, I will fix everything in the mix but from the next room I sound awful. Best for me to lay down vocals when the house is empty, when there are no neighbors within earshot, and I can just SING for the joy of singing!

Another factor may be that you are monitoring your level while you sing. If this is so, I would suggest that you set your max level -- allow a little extra headroom -- use a compressor/limiter if you must -- then focus on singing. You may have too hot a level in your headphones, too. Experiment with your monitor mix. To engineer your recording and sing at the same time is tough. Put on your "engineer" hat, get everything setup up (recording and monitor levels, mic placement, etc etc) -- then put on your "singer" hat and let the music flow!

You have a nice voice, your recording is skillfully done and I hope you find these comments constructive.

Will look forward to your future work.

-- Kevin
fky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi kkissinger,
Many thanks for your kind words, I am very appreciated for your careful listening, and I seldom record voice like this song. Just as you mentioned, I recorded this song late into the night really. I have only a poor MIC or sth like that. Learned quite a lot from your comment, thank you ! Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:

I agree that the voice processing tends to distract rather than enhance.

Oh come on you guys! What's wrong with the singing? I don't think there is a problem here- it's a bit out of tune in parts, but who am I to say? The Smiths made a career out of out-of-tune singing, and look where that got Morrissey?!

Just release a single and let that be your determining ....err can't think of the word Laughing ...factor??

welcome to electro-music.com fky!

edit; hmm 76 posts already? Embarassed oh well, welcome anyway! Very Happy
fky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh my god, v-un-v, I am also a big fan of Morrissey too. He has an incredible voice ... and I have collected tons of his cds..
Kerr_Avon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: singin'
Subject description: singin'

Oh I thought it was fine too, just not the effect on it. The Stone Roses made a brief but stunning career out of "40 cigs a day after a night out" whispering style lyrics. Fool's Gold for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: singin'
Subject description: singin'

Kerr_Avon wrote:
Oh I thought it was fine too, just not the effect on it. The Stone Roses made a brief but stunning career out of "40 cigs a day after a night out" whispering style lyrics. Fool's Gold for instance.

NO! The Stone Roses made a career out of ripping off 'One More Night' by CAN Rolling Eyes

Damo Suzuki was the original whisperer Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Kerr_Avon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: But... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But, but,.... but, I didn't saaaay there were original did I? Blimey.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: