electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Making Music with the 566 now available
Page 1 of 5 [107 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Making Music with the 566 now available
Subject description: 566 VCO PCBs now ready -- and we've got audio!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

Thomas Henry's "Making Music with the 566" is now available from Magic Smoke Electronics! Preview and purchase a printed copy or download the PDF at www.lulu.com/magsmoke

Later!

Tim (now you know what to do with all those 566s you've been hoarding) Servo

edited with updated website and order info.

Last edited by Tim Servo on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tim.

The release looks good, but don't you think $15 for an e-mailed pdf is a bit steep? I'd expect a proper paper copy for that price.

To be honest, I'd rather have someone go to the trouble to make this as a proper book anyway (especially a publisher), as to go to a printer and have this printed (and bound) will cost me (for a one off) at least £25 (or $50), making a grand total of $65, which is rather a lot of money don't you think?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! I just paypal'ed my payment. Told you I'd be one of the first to get this! Thanks again for this service. Can't wait for the others!
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish I could help Tom. I work for a publishing company. I feel you (figuratively) Cool
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Making Music with the 566 now available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey All,

Little mistake on the Magic Smoke web site: the 566 book PDF is $10. A little more reasonable? If we do offer a printed version in the future, it'll be more than $10 (looking at small quantity printing/binding prices gave me a heart attack). What I do with mine is just print them out on the old ink jet and place them in a three-ring binder.

Tim (three-ring) Servo
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim:

since I already Paypal'ed $15, can I just keep a $5 credit with Magic Smoke? I'm sure I'll be buying more as books are released, particularly TH's new book.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I work for a very small printing/publishing company. Our prices are very reasonable we mainly deal in course readers for colleges. And our turn around is very fast. Hell we're slow cause of summer quarter, winter and fall are our busiest times. Anyway, we could have say a 100 spiral bound 100 page books out the door by the end of the week. Hope I'm not puttin the ole foot in the mouth. So in the future if you want to make any books please let me know. I can't promise anything, but since electronics is a hobby of mine I would love to help get diy electronics books published or reprinted from OOP. And ultimatley the customer is paying for the printing costs.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, there is printing on demand, which one can "publish" a book through (ie- print, sell, and even get an ISDN# if you wanted to distribute it), and the books are basically printed as they are ordered. A friend of mine just "published" a book through www.lulu.com.

The nice thing is there's no up-front costs, and books are printed as they are ordered, so there's no waste or inventory to manage.
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm off to magic smoke as we speak...
Also. +1 for hard copies. I too just print and hole punch, but hard copies are just cooler. Like mp3 vs. vynil.
-justin
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Also, there is printing on demand, which one can "publish" a book through (ie- print, sell, and even get an ISDN# if you wanted to distribute it), and the books are basically printed as they are ordered.

Yep we do that sort a thing too.

krisp14u

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Thomas and Magic Smoke for this book excellent bit of work

for any one who needs any lm566's I have a few going spare and thought i would offer them to the EM forum

i'm asking 2.50 GBP each

PM me if you need some this is a fun little chip

cheers Paul D
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Making Music with the 566
Subject description: Anybody interested in a PCB for the 566 VCO?

I've finished the design and layout of a companion PCB for Making Music with the 566. This PCB has all the waveshapers from the book and includes:

*Expo response with connectors for 2 attenuated CVs and one 1v/oct CV
*Sync input
*Tri, Square, Sine, Pulse, Ramp, -1 suboctave, -2 suboctave outputs
*Noise source for noise mod "tuned noise source" stuff (noise out also
available)
*Connectors for 1 attenuated PWM CV
*Connector for AF/LF switch and extra timing cap
*Kitchen Sink (sync?)

If you want quadrature square waves, just take the square out and the
PWM out (set to 50%). Of course, setting the pulse width to something other than 50% allows you to change the phase relationship between the square and the pulse (might sound neat for clocking two sequencers or two s/h or ?).

So, I'm trying to gauge interest in this PCB. Anybody else interested? I know I want one, but that doesn't quite justify going off and having twenty or thirty of the little buggers made up. Smile This is a 4" x 5" board, same size as the Mankato. It's a very busy board, but you could leave off things like the sine shaper, suboctaves, and the noise source if all you want is a "plain" VCO... and from what I know about this list, no one wants a "plain" anything. Wink My estimate on the price would be $21. I can also post a print of the component layout if you want to take a look. Whadday think?

Tim (getting the hang of his PCB layout software) Servo
amos_joseph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally managed to hunt down a few 566 chips to experiment with, so I'd be interested in a board.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Put me down for one!

Cheers,
Scott

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Making Music With the 566 printed versions available
Subject description: Printed versions available at Lulu

Hi Guys and Gals,

Long time no hear about anything 566 related! I just wanted to announce that both PDF downloads and printed copies of Thomas' "Making Music With the 566" are now available through Lulu.com

http://www.lulu.com/content/1284837

John and I are very happy with the quality of the printed copies and the service from the Lulu print on demand site (this is the same site where we sell "An Analog Synthesizer for the 21st Century"). You can get either the PDF or the printed copy for $12.

On a related note, there was a little bit of interest in a 566 VCO board, and after a few redesigns and other distractions, I've ordered prototype boards which should be here on the 15th. I'll build one up and let everyone know how they behave (my breadboarded version is pretty nifty, but a new PCB always needs a little "shaking out"). The PCB will have all the waveshapers in the book, but with a better saw waveshaper (also a TH design) and an extra -2 suboctave. Bassy!

Tim (we're really good at shaking things here in California) Servo
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my book in the mail today. Excellent reading.
You guys are awesome!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Making Music with the 566 now available
Subject description: got one

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
Got my book in the mail today. Excellent reading.
You guys are awesome!

Glad you like it! Again, I'm really happy with how this one turned out. Also, I'm currently building up the first TH-101 566 VCO board, so I should know by Monday whether it's okay.

Tim (got my work cut out for me this weekend) Servo
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hi Tim.

The release looks good, but don't you think $15 for an e-mailed pdf is a bit steep? I'd expect a proper paper copy for that price.

To be honest, I'd rather have someone go to the trouble to make this as a proper book anyway (especially a publisher), as to go to a printer and have this printed (and bound) will cost me (for a one off) at least £25 (or $50), making a grand total of $65, which is rather a lot of money don't you think?

Steep?? No I don´t think so. But then a printed book is a different product. 15 USD is just fine for the PDF.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
.... $15 for an e-mailed pdf is a bit steep?

Email is better than a snailmailed CD, isn´t it? Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Making Music with the 566 now available
Subject description: prices

Actually, the price for the 566 book is $12. With a PDF, you get it right away, but you have to print your own if you want a hard copy. With the printed version, you get a spiral binding, a nifty color cover picture, and the whole thing is printed on nice quality heavy paper, but there will be a few extra bucks for shipping. Right now, we're selling equal numbers of PDFs and printed copies.

Tim (some day my prints will come) Servo
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In reading the book I have encountered one small possible error so far. on page 16 tin the figure 1.6-2 not all pins of the 4013 IC are identified. I have surmised through context that the unidentified output pin connected to R23 should be labeled pin 1. I haven't however been able to identify the pin numbering for the input pin connected to R11. My guess would be pin 3, but I'm not sure. Is there any way this could be clarified?

Thank you
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have verified the missing pin ID's by checking the data sheet of the 4013.

Input signal at R11 should be labeled pin 3.
Output to R3 should be labeled pin 1.

again this is a correction to the diagram on page 16, figure 1.6-2 the Square Wave and Sub-Octave Outputs.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Making Music with the 566 now available
Subject description: missing numbers

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
I have verified the missing pin ID's by checking the data sheet of the 4013.

Input signal at R11 should be labeled pin 3.
Output to R3 should be labeled pin 1.

again this is a correction to the diagram on page 16, figure 1.6-2 the Square Wave and Sub-Octave Outputs.

Hey Danno,

You're right! Don't know why no one has ever noticed this before. Luckily, the accompanying pin-out illustrations help clear it up. Still, I'll correct that right away. Thanks!

Tim (missing a few numbers too) Servo
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Tim, I didn't see any "accompanying pinout" for the 4013. That's why I had to go to the 4013 data sheet.

Also, as a note, your website does not yet reflect the change in availability of this book from LULU. I know you're rather busy, just thought I'd let you know.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Making Music with the 566 now available
Subject description: Various...

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
Thanks Tim, I didn't see any "accompanying pinout" for the 4013. That's why I had to go to the 4013 data sheet.

Also, as a note, your website does not yet reflect the change in availability of this book from LULU. I know you're rather busy, just thought I'd let you know.

Hi Danno,

Yes, I'm thinking of the Drum Cookbook (has pinouts of the chips used in the back). I'm getting the copy at Lulu updated with the proper diagram for figure 1.6-2. Our webmeister John M is kinda swamped for a bit, but he'll be working on the site update very soon. Thanks for the feedback!

Still assembling the prototype 566 VCO board. I'm off to the "Geek Store" (as my wife puts it) to grab some more parts!

Tim (and his wife the Geekette) Servo
Page 1 of 5 [107 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: