electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Page 1 of 7 [156 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Rev02s are ready to rock
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys and Gals,

Well, they're here, they're tested, and they're ready for sale Wink

The latest and greatest Mankato VCF/VCLFO/Quadrature Oscillator PCBs are available. The price is $20 + shipping ($3.50 US / Canada. $4.50 UK / Europe / Australia. Email for rates to other destinations) and we take PayPal at magsmoke@gmail.com

Check for more info and sound clips at www.magsmoke.com

Thanks mucho to Thomas, Scott Stites, and the whole E-M.com community for the interest, feedback and support. Hopefully, everyone will have a bunch of fun and make some very cool noises with these!

Tim (Servo Grande with cheese) Servo
--
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
3vcos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any chance of samples of mankato acting as a 1v/oct oscillator?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: 1 v/octave sample

3vcos wrote:
Any chance of samples of mankato acting as a 1v/oct oscillator?

Well, I don't have any, but I'll try to create and post one tonight. Please remember that the TH-201 is primarily a VCF. Although it works as a VCO, we're not saying you're going to get super accurate tracking or anything like that. That being said, I'll see what sort of tracking I can get. I know that a quick "set it to halfway" adjustment of the trimmer got me pretty close, so a little more trimming should yield some interesting results. We'll see what I can come up with tonight. Perhaps Scott has some "Mankato as VCO" experience or samples to share?

Tim (needs more trimming) Servo
3vcos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I'm not looking for perfect stability or tracking; I'm more interested in how it sounds as an interesting oscillator...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats, Tim. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Congrats, Tim. Very Happy

Thanks! It's been a ton of work, but it's all worth it when I hear my Mankati bleeping and blorping away. BTW, We really appreciate all the interest and feedback we get from E-M.com

Special thanks to Mosc for hosting all of this, and to Scott, who has been a big fan of the Mankato ever since it's inception.

BTW, first batch almost sold out. Time to order another batch o' boards.
Smile

Tim (invented the word "Mankati") Servo
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: 1v/octave samples

3vcos wrote:
Actually, I'm not looking for perfect stability or tracking; I'm more interested in how it sounds as an interesting oscillator...

Ah, well then that's a matter of opinion Wink

The Mankato only produces sine waves. No harmonics, but they do sound neat when used to add some extra low end (look at the CS-80 which allows users to route a sine from the VCO directly to the VCA). I've used the sines as the input to my double-pulser,
http://www.freewebs.com/timservo/servoscircuitsandsounds.htm
and there may be some other waveshaping possibilities available by using the quadrature outputs. Also, you can hear some intermodulation by feeding in an audio signal while the Mankato is oscillating.

Oh, and it does a pretty cool Theremin imitation. Smile Anyway, I'll adjust the tracking and knock out a simple sample tonight.

Tim (does the simple stuff) Servo
philpeery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: TH-201 pcb's...
Subject description: Horray!!!

Hi Tim,
This is great news, I've been waiting for this one since it's initial announcement! I'm hoping the Mankato replaces my two TH-designed ssm2040's as the most used filter in my system!

Quick question, if I buy 4 boards, does the $3.50 shipping apply to all 4, or do I pay it for each board? And can I send the paypal now? The web site doesn't say anything about ordering details yet.

Thanks for the great effort in getting this filter into our hands! I'm sure it will be a winner!

Phil
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Yipes!

Hi Phil (and everyone else),

Well, if you order a Mankato PCB now, you will have to wait 1 - 2 weeks for the next batch! Rest assured, they are on order but I think the best the board house can do is 8 day turn. Add a few days for the boards to get to Magic Smoke West Coast Operations and... well anyway, the next batch has been ordered!

As far as shipping, tell you all what: order one or two and the shipping is the same, order three or four and add $2.00 to the shipping. It's not twice as expensive to ship two boards, so we're trying to be fair with the shipping costs. If anybody really wants more than four, let me know!

Sorry to those who haven't ordered yet for the delay, but we're getting more PCBs in ASAP.

Tim (Magic Smoke West Coast Operations, LOL) Servo
philpeery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Mankato pcb's....
Subject description: send 'em when they are in!

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the break on the shipping! My paypal is in. I understand about the shipping delay. Thanks!

Phil
widdly

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a parts list for the Mankato anywhere? I want to order the PCB but want to make sure there is no unobtainium in it.
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome news, Tim!
Thanks a lot to everyone who worked so hard on this. I sure appreciate it.

I just put together a panel layout.
Heres my first crack at the frac...

Peter

mankatoweb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.71 KB
 Viewed:  29727 Time(s)

mankatoweb.jpg

flickr
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Rev02 parts list

widdly wrote:
Is there a parts list for the Mankato anywhere? I want to order the PCB but want to make sure there is no unobtainium in it.

Here's a Rev02 parts list. Nope, no unobtanium Smile Almost all of the parts are available at Mouser or Digi-Key. About the only thing not "commonly" available would be the 2K tempco resistor. If temp stability isn't that critical, then you can substitute a standard 1% 2K. However, you can find a tempco fairly easily by asking around on SDIY, AH or here at E-M.com

I've got Mouser part numbers for all the stuff that is available from them (about 95% of the parts). I sort of prefer Mouser because they have a better range of resistors and polystyrene caps. There are also several optional parts, like the I/O connectors and IC sockets. You'll see where parts can be changed for different styles and packaging options.

Tim (no rare parts here, either) Servo

(edit Blue Hell: please look here for the BOM)

TH-201-02 VCF BOM.pdf
 Description:
Mankato Rev02 Parts List

Download
 Filename:  TH-201-02 VCF BOM.pdf
 Filesize:  9.37 KB
 Downloaded:  788 Time(s)

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MFOS is my go-to place for 2K tempcos.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have the 2K tempco in my long-breadboarded Mankater (just a 2K metal film), but it's still no slouch as far as using it for VCO work - as long as what one wants is a sine wave. For strictly VCO work, quadrature waveforms really are indiscernable to the ear (at least my ears) - that's strictly useful for LFO duty. Hmmm...never tried FM on it though...hmmmm.

One seldom-mentioned function of the Mankatoator is its function as a VC slew - you can get some really cool variations from the various taps, especially when you have them at near resonance. Blurble, indeed Very Happy

The range of the filter is just amazing.

Cheers,
Scott

widdly

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Tim, looking forward to getting all these things built.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Mankato as audio oscillator

3vcos wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Lifted directly from the soundtrack of "Attack of the Atomic Servos," I give you this audio sample!

Okay, the Mankato does sine waves. Wink Actually, it really does do a pretty good / cheesy Theremin imitation. Throw on a little portamento, a touch of vibrato and a dash of reverb, and you're all set to go. The "bleep and blorp" section is a simple LFO modulating a VCLFO (Mankato 1), and the VCLFO modulating a sine VCO (Mankato 2). I still say the greatest strength of this thing (besides the sound of the VCF) is the huge modulation range. It'll easily go from "too slow to be noticed" to heterodyning in one sweep, and that's a buncha muncha fun! You actually have to remember to turn the mod levels way back to get "normal" modulation effects.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun dong this. Enjoy!

Tim (I Was a Teenage Synth Nerd) Servo

Servo Attacks!.mp3
 Description:
Coming soon to a Theatre near you...

Download
 Filename:  Servo Attacks!.mp3
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Downloaded:  1399 Time(s)

bugbrand

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awh this sounds awesome -- love what you're saying about the extreme range. Mmmm. I'm now just waiting for the caps to arrive before putting the final touches to my pimped up module -- all eight outs plus leds. Mmmmm.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy crap! The Servian Mankatos have landed, and their pods are hatching....

Very cool sample Very Happy

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: Mankato as VCO audio sample

Wow, I really dorked that one up!

I just downloaded and listened to the Mankato audio sample, and there's hard clipping all over the place! I apologize to those who have listened to it already. It sounded just fine in Audacity, and on my PC last night, but listening back to it now... yipes! I tried installing the new Windows Media player (which is usually pretty good) and got clipping, and even iTunes played the file back with clipping.

I'll re-encode this tonight and download it again. Hopefully I can get rid of all that nasty clipping, especially in the intro (that's supposed to be a sine wave, really).

My apologies. Sad

Tim (yipes!) Servo
tomcat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What to modify that it works also with 1K tempcos? I have a lot of them laying around...

Btw. Tim i send you an email regarding my order Wink
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: 1K Tempco

tomcat wrote:
What to modify that it works also with 1K tempcos? I have a lot of them laying around...

Btw. Tim i send you an email regarding my order Wink

Hi TC,

Off the top of my head, if you're going to change R45 to 1K, then you might try R44 at 1.37K (about 1/2 of its normal value). However, I haven't tested this, so I can't say 100% it will work okay. Personally, I would try to stick to 2K for the value of that resistor (R45). That one is placed in a "shunt" configuration (it goes to ground), so changing it will alter the current draw of the CV summing amp. You might try a 1K tempco in series with a standard 1K 1% as a sub for R45. This will still give you some temperature compensation, and should work rather nicely (especially considering that this is a VCF).

Sorry if I haven't responded to everybody yet about their order status. There has been a flood of orders, and so we're trying to stay on top of everything (along with the next TH books, the 566 VCO board, etc., etc.). If you've PayPal'd funds to Magsmoke, you're in line for a board - and even though the first batch is sold out, we're ordering more (had to increase the second batch order or else that one would be sold out too)!

Tim (John and I are wearing many hats these days) Servo
bugbrand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...pimped...

Got things finished today - haven't had too much of a play yet, but liking a lot so far.

I figured out that you can easily use bi-colour LEDs this morning. Glad I did 'cos its a very nice addition - much better than the uni-polar LED drivers I'd been using before. Now the LEDs pulse red then green then red then green (and the inverted ones next door are conversely going green red green red) - quite mesmeric.

(actually, I ought to post a pic of the LED schem - it works fine but maybe I've done some booboo...)

mankato_1.jpg
 Description:
Pimped Mankato -- all the inputs / all the outputs -- and bi-colour LEDs for mersmeric effect...
 Filesize:  89.11 KB
 Viewed:  29719 Time(s)

mankato_1.jpg

bugbrand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..is this right for BiColour Leds?

bicolourLEDdrive.jpg
 Description:
..is this right?

...tap straight off the Mankato outputs..
 Filesize:  50.75 KB
 Viewed:  29697 Time(s)

bicolourLEDdrive.jpg

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: TH-201 "Mankato" PCBs available
Subject description: LED Drivers

bugbrand wrote:
...pimped...

Got things finished today - haven't had too much of a play yet, but liking a lot so far.

I figured out that you can easily use bi-colour LEDs this morning. Glad I did 'cos its a very nice addition - much better than the uni-polar LED drivers I'd been using before. Now the LEDs pulse red then green then red then green (and the inverted ones next door are conversely going green red green red) - quite mesmeric.

(actually, I ought to post a pic of the LED schem - it works fine but maybe I've done some booboo...)

Hey Bug!

Totally pimped! I'm diggin' it. Wink

I've rigged up a simple board with four bi-polar LED drivers that I use to test the Mankato outputs. I've got them arranged so that the LEDs blink in a circular pattern when everything is operating okay. It's been a pretty handy test tool, in addition to being a totally gnarly blinky light! One thing though: the op-amps outputs in the Mankato are pretty busy and are meant to drive your typical hi-impedance inputs, so make sure you have a good buffer / driver for the LEDs and that you're not depending on the Mankato's amps to deliver all that extra current (10mA per LED, 2 LEDs on and another 2 partially on). I use my blinky light gizmo for testing, so I don't have it hooked up while the Mankato is driving any other circuits. I might also suggest using high-efficiency LEDs that require only about 2mA to light up. These are just a lot easier on the power supply, especially when you consider that the entire Mankato only consumes about 40 - 50mA (about 20 per rail).

This is groovy stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Tim (partially on, still consumes too much current) Servo
Page 1 of 7 [156 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: