electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Asheville electro-music festival live stream

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
MiniMoog transistor alternatives
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hopefulsynthesis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: MiniMoog transistor alternatives Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello All

This is my first post here, so do let me know if this has been covered in detail before!

Firstly, some context...I am planning a DIY MiniMoog build and have amassed a large collection of information (schematics, PCB layouts, etc.) with the help of some very generous DIYers and am now onto the rounding up of parts phase. Obviously some are more difficult to find and I don't want to be searching if I can pick up a readily available alternative.

In the Model D Service Manual it lists alternatives for TIS92 and TIS93 as 2N3904 and 2N3906 respectively but doesn't say whether every one of the 92/93s can be exchanged for these, does anyone know?
The TIS97 doesn't have a sub listed but I have seen the 2N5088 recommended, can any high gain NPN be used?

I'm sure I will think of a few more questions soon...

Thanks
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The TIS transistors aren't anything special, busy on a Minimoog VCF/VCA combo module myself, and I am using BC54x and BC55x (NPN and PNP) transistors.
Is it to repair an actual mini? Would definitely use original ones then.

Edit:
Ah, alright, DIY it is, just use transistors you can get hold of.
hopefulsynthesis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply, I'm actually building one from scratch so equivalent parts would be no problem for me, as long as they work of course! I'm going to order a bunch of 2n3904/3906 and BC547/557 to test out...I will see what happens.
I don't want to go down the really cheap route (Aliexpress type of deals) because I don't think I want to trust them, even though I can get the 2n4402 and 2n4303 there and they're more difficult to find here in the UK.
If there are any suggestions for equivalents for these 2 that would also help.
analogmonster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hopefulsynthesis wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I'm actually building one from scratch so equivalent parts would be no problem for me, as long as they work of course! I'm going to order a bunch of 2n3904/3906 and BC547/557 to test out...I will see what happens.
I don't want to go down the really cheap route (Aliexpress type of deals) because I don't think I want to trust them, even though I can get the 2n4402 and 2n4303 there and they're more difficult to find here in the UK.
If there are any suggestions for equivalents for these 2 that would also help.

My approach is to do an LTSpice simulation of the circuits or sub circuits I want to clone. I use BC5xx standard transistors in most cases and see whether a circuit runs or not before heating the soldering iron.
And of course you have to consider the higher gain and higher beta of modern transistors. In some cases this is irrelevant, but in some cases, like amplifier stages, you have to change resistor values for instance to keep the circuit in proper operation. See my http://www.analog-monster.de/mmt914_en.html page of my Moog (TM) 914 FFB clone as an example, especially the output buffer circuit, where I had to change some resistor values due to my usage of BC550 transistors.

Although there is some work to invest to do an LTSpice simulation with modern components, it is more effort and more expensive to obtain original parts in some cases, and sometimes it is just impossible. And you are independent of expensive vintage-special-not-obtainable-super-special-and-therefore-expensive-like-hell-part-dealers Twisted Evil
hopefulsynthesis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you too analogmonster, I should probably get up to speed with LTSpice anyway so this is probably a very good opportunity. I already have most of the caps, resistors, pots etc. so think I'm well on the way through the parts list. Also I discovered that an old Orla organ I bought earlier this year has all the hardware necessary for the keyboard without much modification, I'm very pleased about that since the organ was only so so.
This will be a very fun project once I actually get time to get on with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: