electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Schulte Compact A Phasing
Page 2 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An LDR...?

Like this one?;

58-0132.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  58-0132.pdf
 Filesize:  85.08 KB
 Downloaded:  1082 Time(s)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Evan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Schulte Compact A Phasing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
I discovered his early works rather late in life: Apocalypse, Earth, 666.

Has 666 been released on CD?

I no longer have a record player (actually I have one, but no needle), and would like to listen to this again.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hang on- I'm mixing "See you later" up with "The Dragon" Laughing
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! Cool I would love to build one of these!

The 'original' schemo always kind of baffeled me...
Compact Phasing A scheme

A while ago I spent some time redrawing it in a form that made more sense to me...
SCP'A' Audio Signal Path
SCP'A' LFO Section
SCP'A' Power Supply

But, I never figured out what connections that DIN jack in the LFO section was supposed to make, and how to get rid of it.

So, count me in!

~ Charlie

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:

I never figured out what connections that DIN jack in the LFO section was supposed to make, and how to get rid of it.

Do you think that this connection was for foot controlled speed? Schaller's phaser used a similar configuration- that a foot control was used for the speed.

moosapotamus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know for sure, but I think it might have been like a footswitch for 'high' and 'low' for the speed range... maybe?

~ Charlie

jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
An LDR...?

Like this one?;

The NORPS-12 is quite expensive, but it's probably a candidate.
I'd prefer smaller LDRs without plastic package, though.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:
I don't know for sure, but I think it might have been like a footswitch for 'high' and 'low' for the speed range... maybe?

~ Charlie

All kind of switching.
I've transformed some of tehse functions into something with a better interface on the Compact Clone - may need another redesign for new LDR types.
Manual Mode is very very nice on the CC, too.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This runs from +/-16V and needs a lot of current.

Therefore it _should_ be a standalone box, not a module for a synthesizer.
(Plus, if you ever played one, you want this on the desktop, not in a rack. Honestly.)

Anybody has a problem if it needs a 2 * 18V transformer?

JH.

norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a dedicated Phaser Phanatic, count me in on this one, please!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm with you there Norman Very Happy Phasers? I can't get enough of them! Cool

Jurgen, personally I would prefer this to be a standalone unit anyway. I really dig the original case design too Very Happy

germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
It makes the world just that much more acceptable to me.

LOL! This sentiment has been on the tip of my tongue just about all my life. Thank you for actually putting it into words!

RE: Shulte Compact A, yes please!

Regards,
Joe
germaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
What's your favorite shop in the USA to buy LDRs and incandescent lamps?

I've used the Silonex NSL-6112 from Allied on phasers and univibe-type circuits with great success. See here:

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/SearchResults.asp?N=0&Ntk=Primary&Ntt=NSL-6112&sid=46E489003D5B617F

Below, that's an LED in the middle of those LDR cells.

Regards,
Joe

3 - in place.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  591.49 KB
 Viewed:  723 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

3 - in place.jpg

Last edited by germaniac on Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks nice. That's an incandescent inside?

edit; any chance of reposting this? As the actual LDR section is out of focus. (the camera seems to have focussed on the socket instead

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PS Listening to Scott Walker right now. Fantastic production!!
germaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, sorry for my lousy photographic skills. These pix were done a long while ago, and by now the little module is all packaged in shrink tube and happily phasing away in a four-stage phaser. FWIW, here are a couple more pix from that build:

1 - ingredients.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  857.25 KB
 Viewed:  659 Time(s)

1 - ingredients.jpg

2 - cut to size.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  648.83 KB
 Viewed:  666 Time(s)

2 - cut to size.jpg

6 - presto.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  364.6 KB
 Viewed:  657 Time(s)

6 - presto.jpg

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice Cool

But that's with an LED. I'm trying to think how we can do this with a filament bulb- which can be replaced if necessary- although apparently the chances of the bulb 'blowing' are remote.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does the bulb thingie need cooling ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
germaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

Right, an LED. For my purpose at the time (a battery-powered stompbox) it was all about keeping current consumption low. But since that's no concern for something mains powered, I'd guess the smoother response of the incandescent bulb is preferable. Or in any case, it's more authentic to the original Schulte design, right? Smile

Joe
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a clever setup.

Has anyone seen pics of the four lamps/detectors/joysticks Buchla used in the 204, IIRC? Although a wonderful idea, it was a bit messy on the board.
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. They're still online, right here:

http://www.synthtech.com/pix/buchla/b219/
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, the 204. Grant Richter or someone had pics up of the mess on the PCB.

http://buchla.com/historical/b200/index.html
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Nice Cool

But that's with an LED. I'm trying to think how we can do this with a filament bulb- which can be replaced if necessary- although apparently the chances of the bulb 'blowing' are remote.

It's even easier with an incandescent lamp. Put the sensitive surface of 4 LDRs directly on the glass surface of the bulb (long wires ..). Wrap it with a sturdy black adhesive tape.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Does the bulb thingie need cooling ?

No. You run it at undervoltage.

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just knocked this up in SolidWorks. It shows a film cannister (in blue and transparent- just to help viewing btw) with holes drilled through the sides for the LDR's to fit (also do to exact dimensions for now). Inside is a standard bulb holder and bulb. The idea is that this could be mounted on veroboard with the LDR's surrounding the bulb, through the cannister 'windows' and soldered to the veroboard. With slight modification, this could be adapted so that the bulb could be replaced if needed- ie just by opening up the film cannister. The lid of course is bolted using M2 or M3 bolts- whatever the hole diameter is on the bulb holder.

Any thoughts?

film cannister LDR.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.46 KB
 Viewed:  49181 Time(s)

film cannister LDR.png

Page 2 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: