electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
new miniAudicle with File Browser
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
moudi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: new miniAudicle with File Browser Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all

i recently made a new extension for the mini.
it's a little file browser window (a tree control) from where you can load ChucK files directly (instead using the File open dialog).
take a look at the picture to see how it looks.

i'd really like to know what do you think about it, and if it's working fine on your environment.
for the moment, it's only thought to work on windows (no linux or mac here at home) and i've included it in the asio release.

also if you have new ideas for extending it, i'm really open minded in implementing them if possible.

so, let's give it a try...

jassas
/moudi

miniAudicle_with_FileBrowser.JPG
 Description:
Screenshot of the mini with the new File Browser
 Filesize:  177.33 KB
 Viewed:  252 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

miniAudicle_with_FileBrowser.JPG

miniAudicle.zip
 Description:
miniAudicle with ASIO and the new File Browser

Download
 Filename:  miniAudicle.zip
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Downloaded:  249 Time(s)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A new Mini with ASIO support? Cool! This may be the first (public) Mini with ASIO! I also like the idea of this browser, something like this could be the future for performing with pre-prepared code.

I'll test it tomorow and report findings.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and as a small friendly reminder; the Mini is free and open but it's licences likely requires that you share the source of modifications you make to it if you distribute the modified version.

Formally speaking this matters because of copyright law (but I don't think anyone of those involved will be very mad over posting this now) practically speaking it matters as we are all building on the work of others so it will be nice if yet others can build on ours. I wouldn't want to see your hard work go to waste or get lost.

If you are serious about continuing this sort of thing (and I for one hope you are, more developers is certainly a good thing as the ones we already have seem very busy!) it would be a good idea to use libraries that are cross-platform and get in touch with Spencer to coordinate effords. Spencer is a nice guy to email with anyway.

It's also my point of view that in these days where EM is almost forced to patrol the boards non-stop because the organizations that control so many copyrights are so aggressive yet we tend to like sharing it's a good idea to include a brief note on rights with non-trivial code or patches or samples you share. It's my opinion, but I believe my fellow editors share this, that we should stand up for our right to give our works away if and when we want to. EM mostly runs on open source OS's, we use a open source board and are strongly in favour of open formats like OGG where they are valid options. This kind of spirit allowed you to do this project as well so please let me take this moment to sugest you give this some thought.

I meant this in the most encouraging way, I think what you did looks great but there are licences and every once in a while we should have a look at them. Smile

moudi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
something like this could be the future for performing with pre-prepared code.

that's exactly the reason why i was implementing it Cool

Kassen wrote:
Oh, and as a small friendly reminder; the Mini is free and open but it's licences likely requires that you share the source of modifications you make to it if you distribute the modified version.

ah, good to know. i have no problems at all sharing the sources for it. do you think i should post them here right now, or is it ok if i post them on demand?

Kassen wrote:
If you are serious about continuing this sort of thing (and I for one hope you are, more developers is certainly a good thing as the ones we already have seem very busy!) it would be a good idea to use libraries that are cross-platform and get in touch with Spencer to coordinate effords. Spencer is a nice guy to email with anyway.

i already use the same framework as the mini uses (wxwidgets), so it "should" be no big deal to make it working on other platforms.
i also already thought about to contact spencer and asking him if it's possible to implement it in the standard mini.
but i think i'll gonna wait some time and check the feedback of the people if it's really appreciated. imho it makes no sense to implement something and nobody need/use it Wink

jassas
/moudi
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool.

As I read the LGPL it seems to me that supplying code on request is fine. Remember I am not a lawyer and I would guess that everybody is fine with everything as long as it's all small in scale, clear and non-commercial but we've had some talks about copyright on this site and I'm supposed to keep a eye on our little section so I felt I had to mention this.

Talking with Spencer, at least to point out what you did would be cool as it would avoid duplicate effords. Your time is limted and his is so it makes sense to coordinate work, this would benefit everyone.

I have yet to take the time to test your project (been bussy with getting my zero-srossing discovery into my main ChucK project) but for ideas I could imagine it being extended to include intergration with the VM monitor, for example draging&dropping a file on top of a running shred to replace. So far I feel the Mini's interface for replacing is somewhat on the light side yet it might fit perfectly with your little invention. For bonus points; include keyboard control, for example using page up and down to select a shred and the crusor keys to navigate your tree. I'm not sure how hard it would be to controll those two windows at the same time when highlighting the tree yet the main buffer windows being unaffected.

What would also be extremely nice and would likely be applauded by everybody would be getting the interface objects (sliders, buttons, leds, etc) that our Mac-based friends already have ported to Windows and/or Linux. I would bet that Spencer already has bits of that and some ideas about how that could/should be done.

Just thinking out loud here, your ideas are likely as good as or bettew then mine.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm this is not the first time someone has tinkered around with ChucK's innards in the few months I've been posting/reading. Perhaps it is an indicator of ChucK's power and usefulness that people OUTSIDE of the development team are doing development now. I guess that's what open source is all about.

By the way, of the people who post here, who is on the ChucK team? Just curious.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We all are!
Very Happy

Ge & Spencer post here on occasion, for the rest you will need the list(s), there's a seperate list for development issues as well. You can also try to reach people in person if something catches fire.

As for the tinkering; sometimes it's usefull, sometimes it's fun... And we can, so why not? In a way it's like one big party with everybody putting something in the pot if he can spare something. Of course there's the list of lead developers but where would any of us be without bug reports?

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
We all are!
Very Happy

Well, if that's the case then I'm a developer too. I work on example ChucK files for ChucKists to enjoy. How do I get some of my better stuff in the examples directory?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I said we are all "ChucK team", in a way, as we are working together but you knew that ;¬)

I have no idea how to get stuff into the examples dir; I never did. I suppose that if that's what you want (and it's a cool goal) then you should pick some subject not yet covered there and write a clear example on it, then send it in. I making this up on the spot but that sounds like a sensible process to me.

I could imagine a WiKi section devoted to such things? That would be useful already by itself, that's always a good property for intermediary steps to have, IMHO. Maybe Ge has strong opinions on the examples dir, he's big-time into teaching so he likely has high standards for educational material. I don't know, I'd just try, you have nothing to lose and that dir is a great resource, often more hands on and direct then the official docs.

If you would like to be in lists (I can see the game in that); the "thanks to" list for new releases is maybe the best target. You get a spot there if you find and document a bug and it's fixed in that release (known bugs nearly always get fixed the next release).

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: