electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
The Clavia Nord Modular
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
G2Tempted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: The Clavia Nord Modular
Subject description: Any things to consider
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
I was just wondering is there any thing I should be aware before purchasing a nord modular g2 engine/g2 or g2x keyboard in terms of any problems or negative aspects associated with the g2. Do people think Clavia is a good company in terms of listening and supporting its users?
Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This forum is a great place for listening and supporting users!

I woke up two weeks aqo and went out and bought a g2 engine! Maybe I didn't have to think because I already owned a micro modular, but the decision shouldn't be so hard.

It's a good machine with more possibilities than you'll ever need. The forum is and has a huge archive of patches in all ranges and tastes. And then there's the discussions, topics and information...

Combine the above with some of the most open, friendly and talented people in the web world of audio and there shouldn't be any doubt left!

Go go go and get yourself a great toy and enjoy it. Stop worrying about what the rest thinks! Smile

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular
Subject description: Any things to consider

G2Tempted wrote:
... Do people think Clavia is a good company in terms of listening and supporting its users?
Clavia is monitoring this forum for sure.

Wout
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 212

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even though I often bitch badly about some issues, it's only because I deeply love the G2 and deeply care for it.

The G2 is, in my book, the best synthesizer ever made! (Are you reading this, Clavia?)

love love well done jackson dancing wave respect props Hail the Master banana hobo drinking

I have only my highest recommendations for it, in all respects. I own two G2Xs, and am tempted to stock up on a used third one. Embarassed Laughing

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim is right, it's not too bad indeed Laughing

I've got three engines now ... erm and nothing else actually ... except for an old guitar an old sax and an old formant that I hardly use anymore.

So what's to consider ... buy one while it's still around!

G2Tempted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: The Clavia Nord Modular
Subject description: G2x

Hello again,
This is a question for Tim (as he has two G2xs) or anybody else who can help. Does anyone know anywhere that you can get hold of a Nord Modular G2x. I have tried everywhere with no success what so ever. It has to be able to work in the United Kingdom.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular
Subject description: G2x

G2Tempted wrote:
It has to be able to work in the United Kingdom.

They'll all work in the UK, but when you have a 110/115V version you'll have to toggle an internal switch to set it to 230V and the fuse must be changed too.

G2Tempted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: The Clavia Nord Modular
Subject description: G2x/g2

Hello,
What did Blue Hell mean when he said buy a g2 whlst its still around - Is Clavia going to stop making The Nord Modular and why would Clavia do this?
And why did Tim ask Clavia if they were reading this when he said that the G2 is best synth ever made?
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Not 100% sure ... but I think that Blue Hell meant that Clavia eventually will stop making whatever they are currently making, but as of now the G2X is not in production anymore and there are pretty strong rumours that the G2 engines are no longer made either.
G2Tempted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: The Clavia Nord Modular
Subject description: Things to consider

Hello,
Is there any danger that G2x users could be left in the cold now that Clavia no longer makes the G2x? I'm talking in terms of software updates, if people upgrade to windows Xp eventual successor will Clavia still enable the editor to work with the G2x?
By the way, what do people do when their computers or mice aren't working how do they use their g2s/g2x as you can only edit patches via a computer. It would be great if The G2/G2x had an interface on it to edit rather than a having to rely on a computer.

Thanks again.
cbm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular

G2Tempted wrote:
Is there any danger that G2x users could be left in the cold now that Clavia no longer makes the G2x? I'm talking in terms of software updates, if people upgrade to windows Xp eventual successor will Clavia still enable the editor to work with the G2x?

Yes, there is certainly that danger. They already more or less did that to the original Nord Modular users. They abandoned the original NM users without an editor that works well on OS X and 64 bit XP.

They have announced that they have abandoned announced plans to release an Intel version of the editor on Mac OS. The Vista driver isn't moving very quickly either.

In my opinion, if an instrument is going to require a computer editor to operate it, there is a implied contract that the instrument company is going to keep the editor current with the technology of the day. Clavia failed here (again, IMO).

Think of it as a REALLY expensive plug-in that doesn't get the software updates needed to run on the latest operating systems.

G2Tempted wrote:
It would be great if The G2/G2x had an interface on it to edit rather than a having to rely on a computer.

Yeah, my experience with Clavia has really discouraged me from ever buying an instrument that requires a fancy computer program or driver again.

sebber

G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular

G2Tempted wrote:

Is there any danger that G2x users could be left in the cold now that Clavia no longer makes the G2x?

Yes, but not only the G2x users but all the G2 users. It won't make much difference, we work with the same editor and the same driver.
The driver for Vista and IntelMac is going slow and there are no bug fixes. I don't expect any further developement. Not everybody gets bothered by the bugs, so you might want to check this forum for the bug-threat.

There's a lot of very nice software guys around here who will help you with any problems. But as of right now it' a very nice, very expensive machine with some bugs, no further development and no current driver.

If you take a look at the demo, be sure to check out the patch mutator.

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 212

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular

cbm wrote:
Yeah, my experience with Clavia has really discouraged me from ever buying an instrument that requires a fancy computer program or driver again.

Word. Lifecycles of musical instruments and lifecycles in the computer industry are getting more and more incompatible. Laughing For quite some years now I have had the distinct impression that Moore's Law is creating more and more of an impasse for makers of digital musical instruments, and this is just one more expression of it. The frantic celebration of the "ever new" just doesn't work as a tool for an art form.

@G2Tempted: Afaik, you can't find new G2Xs these days. Except if you're lucky and some store has one lying around hidden in a corner somewhere... I don't think very many were made anyway.

W.T.

G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just want to say that the g2 is one of the greatest synths ever in my opinion... i love them! Cool
Antimon

Audio files: 267
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular

cbm wrote:
They have announced that they have abandoned announced plans to release an Intel version of the editor on Mac OS.

Shocked You mean for the G2?

/Stefan

Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
just want to say that the g2 is one of the greatest synths ever in my opinion... i love them! Cool

the G2 is the best thing i ever bought. I dont use vista, so i dont have issues there. Recommendations are to use windows xp wich supports all drivers for music production, Vista doesnt (yet). I think its taking way too long for vista drivers.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular

cbm wrote:
They have announced that they have abandoned announced plans to release an Intel version of the editor on Mac OS.

Sounds unlikely as I am actually using it in beta form!
cbm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular

BobTheDog wrote:

There'a a beta of the Mac OS X version of the original Nord Modular editor too. There was never a final one.

I hope that they follow through, this time, and finish the G2 editor for Intel Macs.

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, well I must admit I didn't know that.

You would have thought they would have just slapped a V1 on it and released it, very strange.
echoromeo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Clavia Nord Modular

cbm wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

There'a a beta of the Mac OS X version of the original Nord Modular editor too. There was never a final one.

I hope that they follow through, this time, and finish the G2 editor for Intel Macs.

I too, am considering a Nord G2 Modular. I own the micro modular, and love it. Will the g2 work with my new macbook pro ?

Thanks..
SingleCell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got my G2X today, and so far the editor is working fine on my macbook pro.

I don't know which of these factors may effect the performance, but:
It's a 2.33 dual core.
I'm still at OSX 10.4.9
I do have 3Gigs of RAM in it.
I'm not running any protools or anything at the same time...

It hasn't given me any trouble.

I just loaded up one of Mother Misty's 'expanded only' performances to fiddle with and see if I could hang it up. It's running fine. iStat says I'm using between 20-30% of my CPU.
mtvic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

echoromeo
I'm sure it will work with the mb pro.
Where are you in the philly area?
I'm just outside in the burb of Abington.
m

Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: