electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
AS21C "Super LFO" PCBs available
Page 1 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: AS21C "Super LFO" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Call it the "Super LFO," call it the "TH-301," call it the "Cucamonga," call it the "LFO with the three page schematic from Thomas Henry's AS21C book," call it anything you like, but we finally have some available!

With some assistance from the ever-talented Dave Brown, we've finished shaking down the first run of PCBs for the TH-301 "Cucamonga" LFO. This is a nifty little unit with some interesting features:
*VC frequency
*Selectable Sine, Tri, Saw or Ramp output
*Gate and Trigger outputs
*Sync Input
*Built in Lag function for delayed vibrato and other similar effects
*Built in Delay (acts like a gate delay) to delay the onset of the "Lag" function
*Delay time period can be started by a keyboard gate (or other similar signal) or by an NC footswitch
*LED frequency indicator, since we all like blinky lights!

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: These boards are Rev01. As such, they need a few tweaks for things that will be fixed on a later rev. You'll need to do two cuts, add two jumpers, and add a couple of parts. I would NOT recommend this for a first project. You really should have built a few things before this, and have an oscilloscope for tweaking the waveform trims. Still, if you've been wanting a very full-featured LFO, this just might do the trick for you. The LFO schematic in AS21C really is a three pager, so this is something you'll definitely want a PCB for. To my knowlege, Scott Stites is the only person brave enough to have attempted this circuit on a breadboard (more likely two or more breadboards). Note that you'll need an 8038 function gen chip, LM555 timer, 3080 OTA, TL074 quad op amp, 1458 dual op amp and CD4016 analog switch chips for this board.

The normal selling price for the TH-301 LFO board will be $20, but we have about ten of the Rev01 boards and since they need the tweaks mentioned above, we're selling them for $12 each. Shipping will be $3.50 in North America, and $5.50 to UK/EU/Aus. If you're interested, PayPal funds to magsmoke@gmail.com. If you need more info, either shout out here, or send us a message at the magsmoke Gmail address.

Again, I have to give a huge THANK YOU to Dave Brown for helping with this. I've got other Magic Smoke projects in the pipeline, we've just reissued two Thomas Henry books (with another on the way), and our day jobs keep John and I hopping, so there is NO way we could have gotten the TH-301 out the door this soon without some extra assistance. Dave was a great help, and as always, has made a nifty web page with some details and o-scope screen shots:
http://modularsynthesis.com/magicsmoke/as21c-lfo/lfo.htm

Other AS21C boards will follow, but I wanted to get the most complicated PCB finished first. I should have a TH-301 "Cucamonga" with a quickie DIY face panel at the AH Nor Cal show on the 25th if you want to come check it out (and you happen to be in northern California).

Cheers!

Tim (happens to be in northern California) Servo
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like another great one!

...only thing being that the 8038 is kind of expensive/rare these days...
Still seems to be listed around various places, but often at over $15 or so (actually, that isn't *really* too bad, is it?!)

bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my good deed for the week. 8038 for $3.50 each. please don't take them all...
i order from this guy all the time, small orders can be a little slow, but his prices make up for it.

http://198.170.117.30/IC/HARRIS.html

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey 'Chamber,
I also checked that source, but I can't really tell if he has them in stock. It also looks like they have a $20 minimum purchase. Still, if he has them in stock at that (VERY GOOD) price, it looks like someone should put together a group buy.

www.electronicsurplus.com has them in stock for $9.95
8038CP $9.95
http://www.electronicsurplus.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=91597&czuid=1223927208853

8038P $9.95
http://www.electronicsurplus.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=93196&czuid=1223927208853

Tim (doing the webbity searchity thing) Servo
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn they are getting pricey!! I grabbed a pile of them from electronic Surplus 6 months ago for $3.50-$3.95 a piece. This is the ONE time I have gotten in on something good early rather than late.

I will be having the next revision for sure.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: AS21C "Super LFO" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only two Rev01 boards left (I actually had 13, but they've been going quickly).

Rev02 boards SHOULD be available in 4 - 6 weeks. I'm a little busy getting ready for the AH Nor Cal show on the 25th, but at least I'm just tweaking the board rather than starting from scratch. This was easily the busiest board I've ever done, so it was a bit of a challenge. BTW, if you're in the market for a good FREE PCB layout program, try KiCAD. I've used it for all the Magic Smoke stuff so far, in addition to a couple of contract projects for a friend of mine (non music related).

Thanks to everyone who has purchased boards so far, and a special thanks to Thomas and Scott Stites for helping us create Magic Smoke in the first place. Smile

Tim (getting my soldering iron warmed up) Servo
davebr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Corrected link for Super LFO
Subject description: Corrected link for Super LFO
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had modified my website and the link was different from what you published. To make it easy, I just modified my website so that link now functions. Sorry for any confusion. - Dave

As posted in the original message, photos, information, tips, and a front panel design are at:

http://modularsynthesis.com/magicsmoke/as21c-lfo/lfo.htm
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AS21C "Super LFO" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
Only two Rev01 boards left

Still got one of these Tim?

If so - I'll take it!

bruce
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: AS21C "Super LFO" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Bruce,

Yes, we still have just two Rev01 boards left. They went pretty quick Smile

If you want one, PayPal funds to magsmoke@gmail.com and you'll be set.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for tweaking the link / site. Smile

Tim (shipping a bunch of boards this weekend) Servo
RF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks -
Payment sent!

bruce
davebr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Modifications to Rev1 PCB
Subject description: Description of required and optional modifications

I went ahead and documented my PCB images indicating the various required and optional modifications for the Rev1 boards. I put them on a separate page with a link from the main LFO page.

There are two required modifications consisting of three runs to cut and jumper.

I listed 6 optional modifications that are various enhancements and I also listed a hint on calibration.

The link is http://modularsynthesis.com/magicsmoke/as21c-lfo/lfo_mods.htm

Dave
RF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice job of documenting those davebr - Thanx

bruce
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Modifications to Rev1 PCB
Subject description: Description of required and optional modifications

davebr wrote:
I went ahead and documented my PCB images indicating the various required and optional modifications for the Rev1 boards. I put them on a separate page with a link from the main LFO page.

There are two required modifications consisting of three runs to cut and jumper.

I listed 6 optional modifications that are various enhancements and I also listed a hint on calibration.

The link is http://modularsynthesis.com/magicsmoke/as21c-lfo/lfo_mods.htm

Dave

i wish my kludges looked as tidy as yours... nice work.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim,

Got my board today. Thank you very much.
etaoin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Illudium PU-32 space modulator"? Very Happy

My board is in as well...

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: AS21C "Super LFO" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My bad, as it's OBVIOUSLY supposed to be a "PU-36."

Well, have to make sure I correct that on the Rev 02 Wink

Tim (bears an odd physical resemblance to Marvin the Martian) Servo

goody.wav
 Description:
Marvin receives his TH-301 board in the mail...

Download
 Filename:  goody.wav
 Filesize:  67.4 KB
 Downloaded:  1285 Time(s)

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
"Illudium PU-32 space modulator"?

if i had one of those, i'd crank the think wide open so there'd be enuf space in the workshop for all these projects....

b

Tallhobbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, since I managed to score the last Rev 01 board from Tim, I was wondering if anyone had a preference of the EXAR chip vs the Intersil chip. For this application I don't think that there would be much difference. The reason that I ask is because I was thinking of building an 8038 based VCO from TH's VCO Chip Cookbook as well. I've read that the EXAR chip is "slightly improved" over the Intersil part and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this or if the improvements were small enough to make little or no detectable difference at audio frequencies. Your thoughts please?

James
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any update on release of rev 2 boards?

b

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: AS21C "Super LFO" PCBs available Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick note: I've FINALLY finished the Rev02 update / re-spin of the AS21C LFO (also known as the TH-301 "Cucamonga"). I've added the tweaks suggested by Dave Brown, and the boards have been ordered. They should be here in a week or so, and then I'll slap one together to make sure they behave. Thanks for the patience of everyone who has asked about the update to these boards - we should be up and running on these VERY soon. Very Happy

Tim (then I'm off to the NEXT project) Servo
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooh, I missed Rev1 when I was away over the wintertime. I am definately down for a few of these, and will check back to see when they are ready. I saw the PCB pics on Dave's site, they are gorgeous. I can hardly wait, but it gives me something to look forward to while I am cleaning the toilet!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Rev02 Cucamongas are ready to rock!
Subject description: Rev02 Cucamongas are ready to rock!

Hey Boys and Girls,

Just finished putting together and tweaking the Rev02 version of the TH-301 Cucamonga LFO! They work beautifully with no cuts or jumps and they're pretty fun. If you've been looking at the AS21C LFO, building one on a professional PCB is definitely the way to go. These boards include a hi-low range switch and a few minor additions as suggested by Dave Brown during his evaluation of the Rev01 boards. I probably wouldn't suggest this as a first project, primarily because of the number of parts involved, but it's a very versatile LFO and one of the best uses I can think of for an 8038 chip. Smile

The boards are $20 each + shipping. Hit us up at magsmoke@gmail.com if you need more info. I'll post the parts list (with Mouser part numbers) in a day or so when I have it completed. Thanks to all who have expressed interest in this board, and thanks for your patience. I think the XR VCO is next. Smile

Tim (trying to think of a city to name the next project after) Servo

Cucamonga LFO Rev02 ready to go.jpg
 Description:
Board, module, and a pretty little sine wave on the o-scope.
 Filesize:  187.88 KB
 Viewed:  521 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Cucamonga LFO Rev02 ready to go.jpg

Krelnarb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
trying to think of a city to name the next project after

May I suggest El Cerrito, located in the SF Bay Area.
johans121

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krelnarb wrote:
Quote:
trying to think of a city to name the next project after

I think Memphis deserves a board named after it.....

But I've digressed.

I am supercalifragelous expialadocous-ly excited about these LFO's. I'm ordering 5 of them!

-Jim
Junk Rhythm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krelnarb wrote:

I second this one.

Page 1 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: