electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Confused about How to wire the input jacks
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
captainhaha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Confused about How to wire the input jacks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,
First off thanks to everyone on this site for their generosity and time. This is my first post mainly because I can normally find the answers to my questions without having to ask!

I'm building a few things from E-M at the moment, namely a pair of MPS and a Klee. I'm at the stage of wiring the inputs for the MPS, I'm using phono jacks not banana's, and I just don't get how to wire the n.o & n.c jacks up

I've scooted around a few forums and found as many diagrams as i can on the MPS thread but i'm still confused about which switches and jacks I need. I should point out that as i'm fairly new to this(only built an E-D pixie before) i'm just doing a stock build on rev 107 boards.
Could someone enlighten me please or point me in the direction of a tutorial that explains it.

'Regards,
C.
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An "n.o." jack is normally open. An "n.c." jack is normally closed, also described as switched.

Normally closed jacks have an extra lug for each main lug (1 for mono, 2 for stereo). When nothing is plugged in, whatever is wired to the switch lug will be connected to the main lug, as if *that* were plugged in. As soon as you plug a jack in, this connection is broken. This is commonly used for things like making sure an unused CV input is grounded, or "normaling" which is connecting an internal signal through to another stage, with the option of overriding that normal connection with a jack inserted in the plug. The ARP 2600, for example made extensive use of normalled inputs so that you could use it without patch cords if you used the normal signal routing.

Normally open is a standard mono jack. Nothing special, and you can use a normally closed jack, just don't wire the switch lug.

On the MPC, the main use I recall for the switched jacks was for the effects send/return loop. This is entirely optional. The output has the switch lug wired to the switch lug of the input from the loop, so with no jacks inserted there's a constant signal flow, but if you want to process something (say the impact) with an external effect (say an echo) you could plug the out and in jacks through the effect, and the normal signal flow is interrupted and substituted with the effect processing.
captainhaha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi elmegil,

Thanks for the quick reply, i'm going to have to digest this and post a drawing I think:)
Somewhere along the line I failed to realise the send/return was for audio/fx. I thought it was for CV of some sort.

Brb,
Cheers,
C.
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The horse's mouth: http://birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/Pages/MPS.html

Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: