electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » DSI Synths
DSI Prophet '08 Synthesizer
Page 2 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
DIGITAL SCREAMS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
And apparently the PEK uses the same chips on its analog side. One thing I haven't found in any of the manuals or the specifications was which equivalent chip design they're actually using.

Design of the new chip is based on the CEM 3396 (synth on a chip)

The 3396 was used on synths such as the Cheetah MS6. Listen to some sound clips here... http://www.synthmania.com/ms6.htm

In my opinion the CEM 3396 was technically a good design.....but sonically...it lost some edge on the earlier, rough and ready VCO designs.

I still prefer vintage roland analog sound http://www.synthmania.com/Misc/Jupiter-8%20song.mp3

DS
Chase

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Real MC wrote:
Speaking of research, you neglected my mention of the lack of resonance on the 12 dB filter. Mighty convenient of you so you could discredit me.

Maybe he just didn't want to humiliate you, since the 12 dB filter does, in fact, have resonance. Which you would know if you'd done your research. Maybe you're just a beginner after all (and an awfully bitchy one at that).
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chase wrote:
Maybe he just didn't want to humiliate you, since the 12 dB filter does, in fact, have resonance. Which you would know if you'd done your research. Maybe you're just a beginner after all (and an awfully bitchy one at that).

welcome Chase.

This thread had the bitchy tone in it already so I can't and won't blame you for that ... but I was sort of happy that this didn't escalate any further than it already did ...

Anyway, it would be nice to so see people respect each other, such that there is room here for making mistakes ... it's not just beginners that make 'm ... and I certainly hope to be able to go on making mistakes till I'm really old Laughing

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
... I certainly hope to be able to go on making mistakes till I'm really old Laughing

Ahh, the bright side of getting older - mistakes are easier to make.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wink
fac

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chase wrote:
The Real MC wrote:
Speaking of research, you neglected my mention of the lack of resonance on the 12 dB filter. Mighty convenient of you so you could discredit me.

The 12db filter does indeed resonate, however the resonance is very mild, even if turned fully up (at least on my P08 rack). My guess is that the gain on the feedback loop on the 12 db filter is severely restricted.

What the 12 db does not do is self-oscillate. Maybe this is what The Real MC meant in his post?

Ok, back to bitchy-tone-mode:

Whoever doesn't like the P08 is an idiot Wink

Synthetical262

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gd wrote:
mosc wrote:
welcome gd. Good to have you here.

Thank-you, much appreciated. I started in '74 with my miniD - picked one up in Vancouver shortly after going to ELP's Brain Salad Surgery concert. The guy I bought if from couldn't make heads nor tales of it and just couldn't get into the programming of it as he was used to immediate sounds from his Continental and M series Hammond spinet. Its funny but I just have not really gotten into much programming with the P08 - mostly using patches that others have written then tweaked them somewhat. Maybe it's because the pots sometimes do strange things ie. today the resonance pot would only increase unless I turned it very slowly or the parameters changing mid song (glad for the compare button). These issues aside I would buy another if it ever became necessary.

The pots need some DEOXIT (like deoxit GOLD from Radio Shack ~ $14.00)....then you would need to open up the synth.....unscrew the 2 modules on the top part of the synth that contain the ports and spray some of that deoxit inside each pot.......then twist them all a few times....

It will work like brand new......and it takes less than 2 hrs to do the whole thing....

Chris Faur
www.fantasiarecordings.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Synthetical262

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw if you need details I can help you....let me know...

Thanks.

Chris Faur
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Synthetical262

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reading abunch a stuff around here and forgot to mention that I do have an 08 for about a year and half now. I am very pleased with it. It sound warm and organic. I run it through an MPX400 Lexicon processor and with some reverb the sounds enchance very nicely. Also the step sequencer it's pretty nice. I've done some really ineterestin sequences with it.

Chris
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chris, welcome to electro-music.com

What do you do for scratchy sealed pots. I've heard people say to drill tiny holes in them. Have you heard of this?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Synthetical262

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

What do you do for scratchy sealed pots. I've heard people say to drill tiny holes in them. Have you heard of this?

hmm... are they making two kinds of pots .. sealed and unseald? ..... If they do I didn't hear about it but on my Prophet 08 the pots as far as I know and saw they were pretty much sealed. When I sprayed them with Deoxit I didn't really opened them. They are small and square in shape and on one of the 4 sides (of the square) you can see a half of millimeter crack line where a thin metal plate and a thin plastic plate are on top of each other. That's where you can spray the deoxit and that's the only very small opening that can get fluid inside the pots.
I've never heard of drilling the actual pot and even if that would work I would prolly not do that just because the margin of error and risk of damage is is too big .
Synthetical262

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

And Thank You for having me here Very Happy
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've fixed some of the pots on my PEK using DeOxit Caig. It wasn't that easy, it took four or five time, pouring drops into it and then frantically turning back and forth, until the knob worked satisfactory. Could be because I used the DeOxit 100% version with a little brush - there is another kind that has a small needle instead. I think the PEK has the same kind of knobs, with the small crack between the plastic and metal that you can pour the liquid into. Got it working after a while though!

/Stefan

gd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DSI sent some some deoxit last July, and I mustn't have put enough in as I have to redo this as the pots are acting up again. I might end up going for the pot upgrade later this year, but for now will go ahead with the deoxit again.

I have been thinking of buying an external filter to run one of the outs into. I thought that I had decided the one I wanted but after sending an email to the company (UK) about 3 weeks ago and not hearing a word back I may have to continue my search.
Here's the filter I was was thinking of any comments would be welcome.
http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Filter_Bank/AM8320/am8320.html
gd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update on the encoders, Chris " DSI read one of my posts on another forum, DSI sent me 2 new encoder boards - what a difference. The new encoders feel very firm, no value jumping at all, once again a pleasure to program and play. I have to say that it is nice to see a company stand by their products like DSI does.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DSI has the best support of any company I have ever dealt with.
Juno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. So after two pages of fun I'm proud to say I'm walking in as total synth novice, the Prophet 08 being the first analog synth I've ever owned. I'm a saxophonist and violist in training but a professional musician for a living- synths is something I've only gotten into recently thanks to a gig. Love it! Over the last year I've had a great experience and I love my little prophet. And because of it now I'm added to the fold of aspiring synth geeks. Very Happy My experience before this was mainly on workstations alongside a SC Pro1 and a Yamaha CS-5. In that capacity it opened a whole new world of sounds.

I've had the same issues with the pots - trouble changing parameters and it also deciding to change its own parameters during shows. We honestly thought parameter gack out was related to a voltage issue. Maybe not? gd - was yours ultimately the encoder board? The only other bizarre trouble I've started having only in the last few days is on my more intense patches when I move from them I'm now getting strange overtone-type feedback which requires shutting the board down to get rid of. O_o

It takes well to effects - loves reverb and delay (though I have yet to have an inspiring overdrive/distortion experience) and I've found it very easy to be reminiscent of the good days of music. It's full, it's fat - through a subwoofer as big as myself in a big club, she'll make you cry with joy.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum Juno.
Pym

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Give a shout to Tracy in our tech support if you're having trouble with encoders or pots: support@davesmithinstruments.com

Just to clarify so I know what's going on... scratchy pots (not encoders, which are the ones that keep turn around) can happen, quality varies occasionally as we found out with the encoders. Give Tracy a detailed description of the problem and we'll get you fixed up. It's more likely it's a hardware problem and we'll have to replace them but depends on what you're seeing.

Encoders jumping are a known problem and we will either send you some deoxit to take care of the occasional bad one or replace boards if we need to. There will also be a code release which should really improve stability in borderline bad boards and will make it a lot more responsive in normal ones.

I'm slowly getting to all the message boards where people chat about our stuff to get the word out. Let me know if I'm missing anything big!

Chris aka. Pym
Dave Smith Instruments
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum Chris.
gd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Juno - yes DSI sent me 2 replacement encoder boards, they are fantastic to the point that it actually feels like a completely different synth. Welcome Chris and again thanks for your help.
dalekay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a shout here.
My current mode of operation is Korg Triton Extreme (8Cool with Moss card + max memory. That is on the bottom of the three tier. Middle is a Poly Evolver and top a Prophet '08 (SE version). The other synths are on other stands. Wink

Those 2 DSI synths with the extreme make for a flexible work area for me to get ideas out with as well as final work. The live gigs we do (next one is late December 2010) those three are on stage at the min.
My wife will bring her s-80 and maybe I will let her work the MS2000. Last time she played with it, she left some scratches .... Laughing

The PE I have had for 3+ years now the P'08 2+. No problems. Lucky I guess or I take good care of them in some other way than the normal person? If I do have problems, I know Chris will be there as well as Dave. No worries here.

This same set up can be heard on the NYE events here. I am sure there is a mp3 here you can hear these and other synths at work with.
Sound wise, you can make them sound similar as well as different. I would not go as far to say, they are one in the same. Not to me anyway. The differences is why they are close to me when I am in the studio.

Dale

gd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dale, just had a listen to your music (cd trailer) on MySpace, I love it! In going through your homepage is this from the 2005 cd? If so what are you working on now and do you have any clips as I'd love to hear more and what you are doing with your P08 and PE. Wish I lived in sunny Cal as both my wife would be in the crowd for your December gig! but alas snowy Canada is a tad too far away.
g
dalekay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Space Elevator was a Sep 2006 release. I do have a newer project happening. A double CD based on my interpretation of Beowulf and Gilgamesh. It is done, just finishing the mastering on it.
The youtube/dalekay, see Gilgamesh's Dream and the Night Hawks film trailer(s) as samples of them. I have other samples up, not complete over the last year at places like revernation but I found a few started posting them all over unfinished for sale. I pulled them off and sent notices out on that. Sad .. at least let me complete them before you pirate them ... lol

facebook http://www.facebook.com/Inquisitor.Betrayer, I think that link will keep one up on stuff. My wife oftens posts there what we are up too and I as well.

Yes PE and P'08 in use as well as a few other synths, hard and soft. I do use tube pre-amps and other stuff (like analog filters) to knock the digital down to useful (to my ears anyway). It will be hard to know what synth does what as I often use them together to get the sound I am after or sounds. I am not a purist. As the music tells the story there, I will use real instruments with synths and those into synths, even feedback from synths and or mikes to speakers. It's all good to me if I get the sound out I am looking for.

DSI fits very well right now in what I am doing. Moog does too but I am using Moog stuff I made and or re-invented from scrap at the moment. (those analog filters I mentioned).

I think the newer material will be something likeable. I did bring in more people this time around who are very good musicians to fill the roles needed. I stuck to what I do best, synths and mangling sound. My fingers are just too old to do the fine guitar work I desire.

Live gigs will be different from studio gigs. I think we are a bit more raw and un-refined live (as most of the musicians are rock/blues players). There is a edge there "live" for sure. I do have some videos being edited of the live gigs which show this. The Morro Bay gig and the News Years gig here (I am going to sign up again this year, maybe they will let us play) are also good examples.

Jinkjude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Good partner for a Nord Wave? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a DSI prophet 08 module as my first analogue synth. I have a MS2000R and a Nord Wave.

I was wondering if it was a good idea. I've just added the Propet 5 samples from the Nord Sample Library and these are fab but too few.

I'd be using the 08 initially to get those old style P5 sounds. Should I keep my cash in my pocket and save up for a P5?

Also, can I just use my Wave as a controller for the P 08?

Thank you in advance,

Jinkjude.
Page 2 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » DSI Synths
Jump to: