electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
XR-VCO PCBs.
Page 1 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
reve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs.
Subject description: Anyone have any kickin' around?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[ Retracted ]

See T. Servo's message below; MSE has produced PCBs, yay!!

Last edited by reve on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
henrikgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would also be interested in a PCB or two!
Dego

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would take 2 pcbs as well.... Very Happy
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm thinking those might be up soon for the next Magic Smoke PCB. Seems to be a fairly high level of interest there...

Tim (verrrry interestink) Servo
hendrixworkshop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: XR VCO PCBs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm also interested! Count me in for 2.

Andy
magman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott,

I may as well jump on the bandwagon for 2 PCB's as well.

I mean, I've got these poor defenseless XR2206 chips sat in an dark and crowded anti-static box, just waiting to join my other TH modules in making beautiful music.

Regards

Magman
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to buy four of these!
hway23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd buy 1 or two... Very Happy
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: XR VCO PCBs... The "El Cerrito" takes shape Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so I think you guys have me convinced to tackle the XR-VCO as the next Magic Smoke PCB. In my reading, I found the version in the VCO Chip Cookbook uses the LM3046 NPN transistor array, while the version in AS21C uses the LM394 matched pair. I think I'm going to go with the LM394 version because that part is still available at Futurlec for a very good price, and you can also sub the MAT-02 or the SSM2210 pairs (same pinout as the 394) for better performance, although with a higher price. You can even go with a pair of hand-matched 2N3904s if you want the least expensive option. The LM3046 / 3086 show good performance, but this part is getting increasingly tougher to find.

I'm also looking at adding a PWM out based on the Sine/Tri-Saw output. Should give some interesting results as the Tri-Saw wave is skewed (will go one octave up as the Tri wave is skewed from triangle to the octave up Saw). One more possible addition - a suboctave from the PWM out, and a separate suboctave from the Square out. I still have to test these new waveforms, but I think they'll be interesting additions. Stay tuned to this channel...

Wink

Tim (hand-matched socks) Servo
reve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: XR VCO PCBs... The "El Cerrito" takes shape Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
Okay, so I think you guys have me convinced to tackle the XR-VCO as the next Magic Smoke PCB.

/me weeps with joy and praises the heavens.
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i really love my 2 and i would consider a third??? PWM skew sounds cool...
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be prototyping this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it sounds and what additions (if any) I'll be making to the XR VCO. Smile I've got the schematic entered, but I want to breadboard all of this to make sure it all works as I think it should.

Tim (get the soldering iron warmed up Baby, I'm comin' home) Servo
KrIVIUM2323

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's great news Tim!

Can't wait for it!
b-funk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I guess one can't have too many VCOs, so I guess I'm also in this boat...

Go, Tim, go! Laughing

Best wishes,

Tobias
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's... slowly... coming... together... (it's just hard to type with one hand while I'm putting parts into the breadboard). Smile

Tim (there's a joke about typing with one hand in there somewhere) Servo
Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I'd buy a couple as well!

Thanks!

Tron
kitsch-bent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd be up for four Smile
stevenclements

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be interested in 2 or more for certain.

life is a treasure... dig it!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs.
Subject description: XR VCO samples

Hi All,

Recorded a quick sample last night. I think this is going to be a very cool VCO!

Start: Triangle being modulated via the Skew control with a slow LFO. It's a subtle effect, but very nice as the wave goes from Tri to 2X Saw.

21 Seconds: This is the Pulse output, with the pulse width being modulated by an LFO. Very thick PWM sound.

36 Seconds: Still listening to the Pulse output only, but now we have the Triangle wave being modulated by one LFO, while the pulse width is being modulated by a second LFO. The effect is very dramatic and a little unpredictable (in a good way). As the Triangle (which is the input to the Pulse comparator) changes shapes and morphs to the 2X saw, the Pulse wave also changes and goes to 2X frequency with the saw. Using two separate LFOs gives some very complex animation. I actually removed the hysterisis from the pulse comparator to slow it down so that the appearance of the 2X pulse wouldn't "pop" so much. I like the way it comes in now.

55 seconds: Now we hear the Tri/Saw wave along with the Pulse wave. Again, one LFO is modulating the Triangle Skew, and another slightly faster LFO is modulating the pulse width. This part has a little reverb/delay added and it sounds pretty massive for just ONE oscillator. And I didn't even add the sub-octaves. Wink

The MP3 encoding has a bit of high frequency 'hash' that wasn't there on the original, but I think I tamed it with a little bit of high cut. Whaddaya guys and gals think? I'm done with the prototyping, so I'm on to the PCB layout stage.

Tim (the only hash I like is the corned beef variety) Servo

TH-102_El_Cerrito_VCO_2.mp3
 Description:
Magic Smoke TH-102 "EL Cerrito" VCO Demo

Download
 Filename:  TH-102_El_Cerrito_VCO_2.mp3
 Filesize:  1.59 MB
 Downloaded:  1348 Time(s)

parasitk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This sounds fantastic!
iceowl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ran into a couple XR2206s at Halted Electronics in Santa Clara a month or so ago in their surplus bin. So I have a few burning a hole in my drawer of miscellaneous undedicated parts. Would love to get my hands on an XR-VCO board when you get them genned up. Plz count me in.
Thx
Joe
stevenclements

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds lovely

http://ca.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs2Wv7C45tVfBqaYo2KUdBB

suppose we all better start buying these?

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs
Subject description: 2206 sources

Hey Steve,

Good find on the Mouser part number. I looked at Mouser and Digi-Key and couldn't find it at either place.

Luckily, this part is still in production. If you played your cards right, you MIGHT be able to wangle some samples from Exar. Companies are being a little tighter with samples these days though, so that might not be the easiest route. However, Futurlec shows the 2206 in stock for about 5 dollars, and Jameco has them for about $5.50 (I got mine there because they're on my way home from work). When the boards are ready, I can swing by Jameco and grab some. Let me know when you order a board, and for $7.00 I'll add the 2206 chip (includes shipping and the sales tax I have to pay at Jameco). The other 'tough' parts include the 2k tempco (Magic Smoke carries these), and the NPN matched pair. You can use two 2N3904s, the LM394 pair (Futurlec), or the SSM2010, depending on the level of performance you need and your budget.

Tim (waves "Hi" to Jameco on my way home) Servo
stevenclements

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: XR-VCO PCBs
Subject description: 2206 sources

Tim Servo wrote:
Hey Steve,

Good find on the Mouser part number. I looked at Mouser and Digi-Key and couldn't find it at either place.

Luckily, this part is still in production. If you played your cards right, you MIGHT be able to wangle some samples from Exar. Companies are being a little tighter with samples these days though, so that might not be the easiest route. However, Futurlec shows the 2206 in stock for about 5 dollars, and Jameco has them for about $5.50 (I got mine there because they're on my way home from work). When the boards are ready, I can swing by Jameco and grab some. Let me know when you order a board, and for $7.00 I'll add the 2206 chip (includes shipping and the sales tax I have to pay at Jameco). The other 'tough' parts include the 2k tempco (Magic Smoke carries these), and the NPN matched pair. You can use two 2N3904s, the LM394 pair (Futurlec), or the SSM2010, depending on the level of performance you need and your budget.

Tim (waves "Hi" to Jameco on my way home) Servo

Fantastic Tim!

I'll let the Mouser order slide on these and get them with the PCB's! Brilliant ~ thank you sire

Steve

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: XR-VCO PCBs
Subject description: We're getting closer

We're getting closer... (see attached pic)

Making the last few double checks. Should be ordering in a few days, and have boards in hand in <2 weeks. Wink

Tim (chairman of the boards) Servo

edit: moved R3 and R22 further apart.

TH-102 Parts Layout.jpg
 Description:
Magic Smoke TH-102 "El Cerrito" XR VCO
 Filesize:  258.54 KB
 Viewed:  511 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

TH-102 Parts Layout.jpg

Last edited by Tim Servo on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 [84 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: