electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Need hardware advice for playing with live band
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
subsetr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Need hardware advice for playing with live band
Subject description: Looking to buy a sequencer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Playing in an electro-rock band, current rig is:

electro2
moog lil phatty
yamaha yx-7
nord lead 2x rack

I want to be able to sequence some patterns more complex than the arpeggiator patterns available on the lead 2x and LP. Ideally, it could control both the moog and the lead2x, but I would settle for just controlling one or the other.

The main question I have is that since these sequences would basically hit at certain parts in the middle of a live song, how can I adjust the tempo to be in sync with the drummer?

The LP has a tap-tempo built in, but it's really inaccurate in practice due to the imprecise nature of the rubber buttons.

I really like the idea of the Future Retro Orb, mainly because of the CV as well as Midi outs. It doesn't have tap tempo as far as I know. Is there a way to build my own simple tap-tempo interface?

If i'm thinking about this all wrong, that would also be helpful to know. I'm also considering an EA-1 simply because they are so cheap, and a lot of people seem to like them.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Electribe SX-1 can analyze the audio input and derive a BPm value from it. Not sure about the EA-1.

I've tried it some with a crude CV square pulse, which worked so-so. I think it will work better with a kick drum sound, but I don't know how it will respond to more complex rythms.

/Stefan

subsetr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can see how that might work, but with the kind of music I'm playing, the likelihood that the drummer will just be putting 4 on the floor is pretty low, and it seems like there would be a pretty high threshold for error in a BPM analyzer.
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Several options, donĀ“t know if any work in reality though:

http://www.ploytec.com/34one/

http://www.redsound.com/products/SoundBITEmicro

http://www.adiginvention.com/

Probably more out there...

/Mike
dugernaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I struggled with that problem years ago and decided (then at least) that the best way is to get the drummer and rest of the band to follow a flashing light like a silent metronome during the sequences. It's not technically elegant, but it might work for you.
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found one more: http://www.circular-logic.com/index.html

If just someone *hint, hint* could do a hardware that could host circular-logics InTime software, and we may all be satisfied...

However, midiclock in midistreams may not be the perfect candidate for this kind of application anyway, according to this site: http://www.innerclocksystems.com/

Very interesting reading I must say... both good and bad.

/Mike
nobody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dslocum wrote:
I struggled with that problem years ago and decided (then at least) that the best way is to get the drummer and rest of the band to follow a flashing light like a silent metronome during the sequences. It's not technically elegant, but it might work for you.

That's what I was going to say, except use a click track. That works if at least the drummer has an in-ear monitor. If not, use a flashing light. There's probably less chance of something going wrong that way anyway. You can even use a series of coloured lights so everyone knows what beat it is if they look away for a bit.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: