electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Just bought a Nord G2...What now?
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DrLoK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Just bought a Nord G2...What now? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone. After scouring this site and the manual I am at a loss. So I ask maybe the ultimate noob question. I have a G2 and downloaded the editor V1.62 on my literally brand new PC running windows XP and I can't seem to make the editor make sound. I also don't know how to upgrade the OS on the synth. When I hook the synth up to the PC via usb the synth acts as if there isn't anything hooked up at all. What am I doing wrong? I appreciate any help and knowledge. Should I be running an older OS?Thanks again.
ark

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows XP is a completely reasonable host for your G2 software.

If you are using the 1.62 editor, you must be using the 1.62 software on your G2. You can find out what software version you're using by turning on the G2 and looking at what appears on the G2's LCD during the first few seconds.

If you are not running the 1.62 software on the G2, you must update it before you do anything else. You should be able to do this by clicking "Start", "All Programs", "Nord Modular G2 1.62", and "Update Nord Modular G2 OS 1.62", and then following the instructions.

Once you have done this, you should be able to launch the G2 editor and, if the G2 is connected to your computer, the editor should display the current patch on the G2. If this does not happen, please let us know exactly what does happen.

After you have updated the G2 OS, you should install the latest version of the Nord USB driver, which you can download here. This update fixes a problem that causes the driver to hang from time to time.

Before you update the driver, you need to decompress the zip file that contains it; you can do this by right-clicking it and select "Extract all...", then click "Next" twice and "Finish".

To update the driver, be sure that the G2 is connected to your system and that the editor is not running. Then right-click "My Computer", select "Properties", and then click "Hardware" and "Device Manager". Click the + in the little square next to "Sound, video and game controllers". This will open a list of drivers, one of which should be "Clavia 32-bit USB Driver". Right-click that text, select "Properties", then click the "Driver" tab. It should show version 2.1.4.0 or earlier. If it shows version 2.1.6.0, then you already have the latest version and don't need to do anything else.

To update the driver, click the button that says "Update Driver", "No, not this time", "Next", "Install from a list or specific location", "Next", "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install", "Next", "Have Disk...", and "Browse". Then select the folder that contains the driver that you unpacked two paragraphs ago. If you get warnings about unsigned drivers, click "Continue anyway."

When all the smoke has cleared, you should have the 2.16 driver (i.e. version 2.1.6.0). A reboot should not be necessary. Then you should be able to launch the G2 editor and have it talk to your G2.

If any of this does not work, please say as accurately as you can what you tried and what happened when you did so.
ark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a Nord G2...What now? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:
I have a G2 and downloaded the editor V1.62 on my literally brand new PC running windows XP and I can't seem to make the editor make sound.

By the way, the editor doesn't make sound--the G2 does.

Here is a quick test to see if the editor and driver are working properly.

1) Disconnect the G2 from the computer.

2) Launch the editor. After a few seconds, it should display a large, blank, gray area with a bunch of knobs, buttons, etc. on top.

3) Connect the G2 to the computer and turn it on (in either order). Within a few seconds, the editor's window should change dramatically, displaying a bunch of rectangular modules interconnected by wires.

There is no point in trying to use the editor until you have gotten at least this far.
DrLoK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info. I did the following
Quote:
If you are not running the 1.62 software on the G2, you must update it before you do anything else. You should be able to do this by clicking "Start", "All Programs", "Nord Modular G2 1.62", and "Update Nord Modular G2 OS 1.62", and then following the instructions.

Once you have done this, you should be able to launch the G2 editor and, if the G2 is connected to your computer, the editor should display the current patch on the G2. If this does not happen, please let us know exactly what does happen.

And my update program says for status that there is no G2 connected. I know the usb cable works because when I turn on the g2 it prompts the new hardware found wizard. So I'm not sure how to resolve this. The synth has OS 1.32 on it now.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:

And my update program says for status that there is no G2 connected. I know the usb cable works because when I turn on the g2 it prompts the new hardware found wizard. So I'm not sure how to resolve this. The synth has OS 1.32 on it now.

Did you install the USB driver and reboot your system?
You may as well stay with 1.32. 1.6x doesn't buy you anything unless you're running Vista or Windows 7. There are no new features in 1.6x.

ark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
You may as well stay with 1.32. 1.6x doesn't buy you anything unless you're running Vista or Windows 7. There are no new features in 1.6x.

There are no differences in functionality between 1.6x and 1.40. But surely there are differences between 1.40 and 1.32; yes?
ark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:

Use the new hardware found wizard to install the 2.16 driver. To do that, first decompress the 2.16 driver folder at which I pointed you earlier. Then connect your G2 and turn it on. When the new hardware wizard appears, it will first ask you whether you want to connect to Microsoft. Say "No, not this time" and click "Next." It should then ask whether you want to search for a driver or install from a specific location. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and then "Next." It should then ask for a location. Select "Have disk..." and "Browse." At that point, you should be able to navigate to the folder with the driver.

When you have installed the driver, you should now be able to turn on the G2 without it the new hardware wizard asking you about it again. At this point, you should be able to run the OS update program.

If you get stuck, please give an exact description of what you did and what happened, including screen shots if possible.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:

There are no differences in functionality between 1.6x and 1.40. But surely there are differences between 1.40 and 1.32; yes?

yeah, I forgot about 1.4 because I was underwhelmed.

ark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

My G2 came with 1.4 and now has 1.62, so I wouldn't know Smile
varice

Audio files: 22
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
ark wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:

The main feature of OS 1.4 was the Patch Mutator/Adjuster. Like cappy2112 and many others, I was also "underwhelmed" with this version, especially because there are several well documented 1.32 OS bugs that were not fixed...

DrLoK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It works:!: Thank you ark Wink Hopefully this is the end of my setup woes. Now to learn modular synthesis Rolling Eyes
ark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:
It works:!: Thank you ark Wink Hopefully this is the end of my setup woes. Now to learn modular synthesis Rolling Eyes

So you now have 1.62 installed and are using the 1.62 editor? Great!
DrLoK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea...but now I don't understand how to get the synth patch to show up after I open up the editor and turn on the synth...
ark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Connect the synth to your computer via USB, turn it on, launch the editor. What happens?
DrLoK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Connect the synth to your computer via USB, turn it on, launch the editor. What happens?

The editor opens with the blank grey screen. Not the one ready to work on a patch with the fx section but the prior screen.
ark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm, that's not good. If you disconnect the G2 with the editor running, does the editor complain? If not, it suggests that for some reason the editor is still not communicating properly with the G2.

It is probably worth opening the Windows Device Manager and verifying that the USB driver is talking to the G2. Here's how:

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties." Then click "Hardware" and "Device Manager."

In the resulting window, click the box to the left of "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers." If you do this while the G2 is connected and powered up, then the list of devices there should include "Clavia 32-bit USB Driver." If you right-click that text and select "Properties", it should pop up a window that describes the driver, and if you select the "Driver" tab in that window, it should show a driver version of 2.1.6.0

If you turn the G2 off, the "Clavia 32-bit USB driver" line should disappear from the Device Manager; if you turn the G2 back on, the "Clavia 32-bit USB driver" line should come back.

Can you verify that all of these things happen?
DrLoK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm, I followed the steps you provided Ark. The Clavia 32 bit usb driver was not where you said it should be. However, there was a question mark icon beside the words clavia nord modular, so I clicked on it and re-installed the driver. Then I proceeded to the steps you supplied and it reacted accordingly. I also turned off the synth and editor, then opened the editor to the blank screen, then turned on the synth and the current patch parameters appeared in the editor. Perhaps thats' all I needed to do. Hopefully I won't have to keep re-installing the driver...
DrLoK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rolling Eyes So, now I have the editor "working" in appearence but I have no audio...the nord's outs are connected to my rme multiface2 ins and I opened cubase to check it and all is working but when I run the editor I hear nothing???? Confused
ark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:
Hmmm, I followed the steps you provided Ark. The Clavia 32 bit usb driver was not where you said it should be. However, there was a question mark icon beside the words clavia nord modular, so I clicked on it and re-installed the driver. Then I proceeded to the steps you supplied and it reacted accordingly. I also turned off the synth and editor, then opened the editor to the blank screen, then turned on the synth and the current patch parameters appeared in the editor. Perhaps thats' all I needed to do. Hopefully I won't have to keep re-installing the driver...
I wouldn't think so.

It looks like it is working properly now.
ark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:
Rolling Eyes So, now I have the editor "working" in appearence but I have no audio...the nord's outs are connected to my rme multiface2 ins and I opened cubase to check it and all is working but when I run the editor I hear nothing???? Confused

Running the editor does not cause any sound, ever. Pressing the keys on the G2 keyboard causes sound. The editor is used only for inspecting and changing patches.

Think of it this way: You use the editor to build a musical instrument. Then you play the instrument. Playing the instrument works the same way whether there is an editor running or not.

Here is something to try. Assuming you have the factory patch set installed, after you have turned on the G2, you will see "-- Welcome G2 --" in the LCD. That's the name of the default patch. If that works, try plugging a pair of headphones into the G2 headphone jack and verify that you can play music with it.

Three things to watch:

1) You won't get any sound unless MIDI Local is off. To check this, press the "System" button (to the right of the two volume controls), then press the "Sort Mode" button. The LCD should now say "MIDI Local", and under that, it should say either "On" or "Off." If it is off, turn it on by turning the big knob in the lower left. Press the System button again when you're done.

2) You won't get any sound in the headphones unless the "Master Level" control (upper left corner) is turned at least part way up.

3) On this particular patch, the sound builds gradually, so if you don't hear anything for a second or two, hold the keys down a little longer.

If you're getting sound from the headphone jack, that's an enormous step forward. The next step is to connect the Out 1 and Out 2 outputs directly to an amplifier so you can verify that sound is coming from there.

Let us know what happens.
DrLoK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided to just run cubase in the background as I work on patches. What I was getting was: I could hear everything with phones but my mackie big knob showed no signal, and my monitors did not respond. It's strange, but I found a work around. Just curious though, I should be able to just use the editor and synth in a standalone mode correct?
ark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:
I decided to just run cubase in the background as I work on patches. What I was getting was: I could hear everything with phones but my mackie big knob showed no signal, and my monitors did not respond. It's strange, but I found a work around. Just curious though, I should be able to just use the editor and synth in a standalone mode correct?

I don't understand what you mean by this question.

The editor doesn't have any "standalone mode" or other mode -- it talks to the G2 and lets you change patches in the G2. That's all it does.

The G2, in turn, produces audio at its outputs. The nature of the audio, and which outputs are used, depends on the patch that the G2 is using.

Most patches use audio outputs 1 and 2. So when you play the G2 (i.e. press keys on the G2's keyboard), those outputs will normally carry audio signals. If you connect those signals to an amplifier, you should hear them. If you connect them to your audio interface, what happens should depend on how your audio interface is set up.

For example, I have my G2's outputs connected (via patch cables) to two of the inputs of my audio interface (an E-Mu 1616m). Under normal circumstances, those inputs go to whatever software I'm running (usually Ableton Live) and also to my monitors.

I don't know how your audio-interface software works, nor am I familiar with Cubase, so I don't know what is supposed to happen on your system. What I do know is that if you can hear music when you connect headphones to your G2's headphone jack, it's probably working Smile
DrLoK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea...Well for example: If I open absynth on my desktop I can play it and alter and save sounds (and hear it) without using it as a plug in. Understanding that the editor is not a plug-in. For some reason I couldn't hear anything I was doing until I opened cubase and set the right connections. I've come to the conclusion that this is an interface problem not anything to do with the editor or synth.
ark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrLoK wrote:
yea...Well for example: If I open absynth on my desktop I can play it and alter and save sounds (and hear it) without using it as a plug in. Understanding that the editor is not a plug-in.

Correct. The only audio comes from the G2 itself, which means that if you want to play music on the G2 and have it get to the computer, you need to connect one or more of the G2's outputs (usually at least two) to corresponding inputs on your sound card, and configure it appropriately.

The editor talks only to the G2. Not to your sound card, or to any other application on your computer. You should think of the editor as being an extension of the G2's panel, and nothing else.
DrLoK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again for all of the help.
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: