electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Simple Quantizer Boards + Chips rev4 avaialable now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 8 [179 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Boogdish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Simple Quantizer Boards + Chips rev4 avaialable now. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update 5-5-2011 - The new boards are in!

Hey Everybody,

These boards are for my CV Quantizer project. 12F683 version.
I've also got documentation in a PDF.

Features:

-The circuit takes a 0-5VDC voltage and quantizes it for use in a 1/voct pitch control in one of several modes based on the 12-tone division of an octave. There is also a bypass mode where whatever voltage inputed is outputted.
-The board is small enough to be used as a daughter board adding Quantizer function to the output of a sequencer/S&H/etc or the input of an oscillator or as a stand alone module.
-It features seperate ground paths for digital and analog, space for an onboard 5v regulator
-No calibration required, other than the preprogrammed PIC there are no difficult to source parts.

Accuracy disclaimer:
This goal of this design is to create an easily built, economical and musically useful quantizer. It is not the most precise quantizer available. The first four steps have had errors reported as high as 20%, while the rest of the quantizer's range has an averaged accuracy of about +/-1%.

There are two banks of musical modes programmed into the chip, bank selection is done via switch.

Price is $14 for a chip/board set.
Chips by themselves are $6.
US shipping is $2
International shipping is $3
Custom modes can be programmed in for an additional $10

To order please e-mail Michael@Bartonmusicalcircuits.com I will send you a request for payment through Paypal.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser to pay all customs.

Last edited by Boogdish on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:03 pm; edited 15 times in total
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

US only

bah Sad

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: international shipping Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you be convinced to ship outside the US? I've experienced that things go astray on the way sometimes, so it would be buyer's risk...
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
US only

bah Sad

yeh!
The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice project, pity I'm in the UK! Very Happy

maybe I should get into programming finally?

Luka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ive got a whole lot of PICs for you if you do charlie Smile
see muff component trade thread

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you could have sold all your boards by now (I would have taken 2) Surprised

PM if you feel like going international!
adambee7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would take 4 if you did international. go with a good parcel/post service with tracking and you cant go wrong. Very Happy Very Happy
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in for 2.

Email sent.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the forthcoming PCB run won't be US only, no? will you ask for interest/orders in this forum too?

Boogdish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoops, I should have clarified, the US only meant that was the postage paid price for US customers. I am happy to go international with this, please message me and I'll give you a price quote for cost with shipping to your country.

All of the test boards are now spoken for, the full run should be here in a couple of weeks. Thank you so much for your interest everybody.
adambee7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice one Very Happy Very Happy
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got the pcb today. Will docs be posted soon?
Also, on the power conectin, are the grounds on the outside??
Boogdish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm happy to hear the board made it out there ok. The grounds are the two outside pads. Sorry it's alternating up/down on the board.

Documentation is HERE. I will draw an easier to read schematic for that SOON. The one presented there is taken straight out of Eagle.
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grooooovy! PM'd for 4 when the production run comes along...I'd really like a few more, but best not over do it right off the bat; too much other stuff to build first. But these will either go in a quad quantizer module or simply be added to the 2 M-185 and 2 VCPS sequencers I've got to build.

thumb up Long over due for one of these projects to come along. I'm all for fancy-shmancy quantizers...but most of the time I just want to grab the nearest semitone without too much bother.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you
tommi

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everibody,
I 've done a panel layout for a dual version in eurorack format. Not sure if the quantizing modes writings around the pot are in the right position...
Cheers!

FrontDesign [Simple quantizer.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FrontDesign [Simple quantizer.pdf
 Filesize:  84.79 KB
 Downloaded:  696 Time(s)

Boogdish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tommi,

Thanks for sharing that layout. It made me realize I should change the code. In the boards I had sent out, I set major/minor as one mode since the notes are spaced the same only starting at a different point and I was worried about the selection pot being too crowded (which seems silly to me now). It would be easier to use if they were separate, like in your panel layout.

Unless there are any objections, I'm going to implement this tonight.

Also, if anyone would like an additional musical mode added or replacing one of the present modes, I'd be happy to burn it in for an additional $10. No microtonal modes.

Also, I should have boards in hand by Tuesday. Thanks to everyone whose pre-ordered one of these, you can expect an invoice next week.
Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boogdish wrote:

Also, if anyone would like an additional musical mode added or replacing one of the present modes, I'd be happy to burn it in for an additional $10.

Very Happy Exclamation

Quote:
No microtonal modes.

Sad Exclamation

Is it that you can't do more than 12 pitches per octave, or that you just don't want to mess with non 12-equal tunings?
Boogdish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's just that the software is based on the 12 tone scale. A microtonal version could be done, but it would require a ton of code (double the amount of code currently in the program) and it's just not something I'm very interested in doing right now. If it's something that a lot of folks want, I could give it a shot. Also, I'm just not very well versed in microtonal music.
Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Understandable, the number of people into that is likely small, so if it's a lot more work, indeed probably not worth it.
tommi

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael, that's nice to see that you 'll change the code. Thank you for watching my layout!
I hope this change will make it more easy and immediate to use..
I am curious to see how it feels choosing smoothly between modes with a pot instead of a more 'traditional' rotary switch (wow, that's feticism i guess...)

I thought that this control, the mode selection, could be also controlled by an external voltage (with a protection from negative and more that 5V voltages).

XCenter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tommi wrote:
I am curious to see how it feels choosing smoothly between modes with a pot instead of a more 'traditional' rotary switch (wow, that's feticism i guess...)

If one takes the time to measure the values of the pot for the needed positions it should be quite easy to use a rotary switch instead w/ the correct resistors in line to switch through the modes.

Quote:
I thought that this control, the mode selection, could be also controlled by an external voltage (with a protection from negative and more that 5V voltages).

Nice idea.

Music for conscious listening @ http://www.fmdelight.de/
Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I right in thinking that there isn't a way to select which, for example, major scale comes out? So you'll always get, say, a C major scale? If so, I think it would be nice to be able to select the root note from which the scale is derived. Is that something that could be added, or is it not possible with the current micro and board (not enough I/O maybe?)?
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it just gives you voltages that correspond to the tone, semitone pattern for which ever scale type you've chosen, each semitone step is 0.083333 volts so 1 volt equals 1 octave. You'd tune your VCO to what ever root note you want and it would then play in that key.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 8 [179 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: