electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Stacked Right Angle Headers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
CutRock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Stacked Right Angle Headers?
Subject description: A simple hardware design goal turns into a major headache
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to be able to put two >15 pin right-angle headers on the back of a board that I'm currently designing (something like this). It would be fine, and maybe even preferred, if one was mounted upside down, but I haven't found an easy way to accomplish this without having both headers using the same vias.

The alternative is to put both headers side by side, though this would increase the size of the board beyond my target size and make the connectors less functional.

If anyone with a little more experience and knowledge of available components has any suggestions, I would be very grateful to hear your solutions.

Thanks!

SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM OF TARGET CONFIGURATIONs
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have to use right angle headers? Why not put two straight headers side by side on the top of the board? If you use the crimp connectors with ribbon cable, the ribbon will come out at a right angle...

Regards,
Doug

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
CutRock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the suggestion, Doug. Unfortunately, they must be right angle headers. The end goal is for these to be exposed out the back of a synthesizer module so that parameters can be chained from one unit to another. To this end, it would be ideal if they could be stacked atop one another so that i can use short ribbon cables to tie modules together.

My current solution is to purchase solder pin'ed headers and try to bend the pins to make nice long (and hopefully less error-prone) surface mount pads. This way, I can mount one header from the top of the board and one from the bottom.

I know this solution is very makeshift, so if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

SCHEMATIC
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
E.A.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Harwin/M22-5430805/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtsLRyDR9nM1%252bmess1WSkgVEJUTowiRvQI%3d

One of these on the top layer, one on the bottom. That is if you are not opposed to surface mount.

-Mike
CutRock

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike, that is beautiful Shocked . Exactly what I was looking for. They're about 3x the price, not kept in stock and the minimum order is 3860, so I think I'll try to bend my own leads into a similar shape. Nevertheless, it's good to see that my initial solution wasn't completely out of left field.

EDIT: I looked through some similar offerings at mouser.com, and they all are considerably more expensive and often not stocked. For now, I think I'll stick with my original plan.

Last edited by CutRock on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
E.A.S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CutRock wrote:
Mike, that is beautiful Shocked . Exactly what I was looking for. They're about 3x the price, not kept in stock and the minimum order is 3860, so I think I'll try to bend my own leads into a similar shape. Nevertheless, it's good to see that my initial solution wasn't completely out of left field.

That was the first one I saw. I'm sure there are a number of them to sort through. It also has gold plated connections, perhaps that explains the price. Just some thoughts.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: