electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
VC Master Clock with PWM - PCB run
Page 3 of 4 [90 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

boards arrived today eventually. the board house sent it via FedEx but put it in a DHL envelope Laughing - so the package got special handling, suppose.

so await emails or PMs in the next days.
in two weeks from now i will be on a business travel for two more weeks. during this period i will not be able to package and mail boards, so the next two weeks count Very Happy

packaging & postage revised (german postal service changed their prices)
outside europe: 2 PCBs = 3.-USD / 3+ PCBs = 5.50 USD
europe: 2 PCBs = 2.-EUR / 3+ PCBs 4.-EUR
deutschland: 2 PCBs = 1.-EUR / 3+ PCBs 1.50EUR

bottom line: proces lowered for outside europe, slightly raised for europe.
some of you ordered PS3100 as well, they count as 2 PCBs in regards to the postage...

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just finished the building documentation. hope it is sufficient.

BUILDING DOCS:
Documentation 1 MAR 2011

janvanvolt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any PCB's still available ? I'd like be interested in one please Smile
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SOLD OUT
guitarfool

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got mine today! Very Happy
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got 'em!

Thanks Matthias!

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got mine as well.

Thanks much.
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boards arrived on friday, looking great as usual. Thank you, Matthias!
tazer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rec'd in scotland yesterday with many thanks, what a neat little circuit!

cheers

ian
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

building docs updated:
Documentation 9 MAR 2011

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They made it to the States just fine...cute little buggers!

Excellent doc write up as usual, too. Thanks!

guitarfool

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got one of them working yesterday (no issues at all). Thank you so much for including pads for "DotCom" power connectors!

I also like the zero adjustment for the attenuverter. Nice to be able to center the knob.

I assume that the 2 holes on either side of the tranny pair are for optionally inserting a 1k tempco (to substitute for R5) thermally coupled to the pair?
fonik

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guitarfool wrote:
I got one of them working yesterday (no issues at all).

that's what i want to hear! Very Happy

Quote:
I also like the zero adjustment for the attenuverter. Nice to be able to center the knob.

and actually one could wire this TP via an e.g. 1k resistor to a socket on the front panel. this way you could use attenuverter even if you don't use the actual module in a patch.

Quote:
I assume that the 2 holes on either side of the tranny pair are for optionally inserting a 1k tempco (to substitute for R5) thermally coupled to the pair?

correct. i ammended the documentation accordingly (see above)

plord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
diablojoy wrote:
hi mathias just wondering I am not sure if it can be this simple but if I kludged an analogue switch say one section of a dg412 at c2 to provide a dump cct and sent a clock signal to the logic in would that provide a reasonable sync to a master ? I maybe completely wrong but the switch would only need to short c2 ?

i would think your approac would be a kind of reset? i dunno.
i will try some options tonight. however, i'd rather tried to sync it via IC1B.

Did the tests prove that this worked to create a reset/sync input? Or, are we still without such a function?

Boards arrived, by the way Smile
brother303

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

plord wrote:
Did the tests prove that this worked to create a reset/sync input? Or, are we still without such a function?

I´m also interested in this. Wink

Cheers
Greg
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am currently on a business trip and far away from my workbench.

however, try the following: add a 20k resistor from IC1B pin6 to +V, and apply the sync signal to IC1B pin6 as well.
this is how it's been done on the EFM VCO 3D...

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

still waiting on boards arriving the post has been very slow at my end lately
so i haven't as yet had an opportunity to check out that idea
will also check the mod mathias suggests when i can . If both mods pan out maybe good to implement either for slightly different effects
anyway we shall see eventually Laughing
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm wondering if by combining use of a reset input with a CMOS switch or relay to cut off the output of the clock, that a "start/stop" may be added/simulated. The clock would still be running but the actual output would be cut off until a "start/reset" pulse were applied.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
diablojoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm wondering if by combining use of a reset input with a CMOS switch or relay to cut off the output of the clock, that a "start/stop" may be added/simulated. The clock would still be running but the actual output would be cut off until a "start/reset" pulse were applied.

A stop while gate is held on would be very easy and very useful as you may be able to effectively remove predetermined clock pulses by simply using a slower clock from another of foniks clock ccts or another module the rate and pulse width of which would determine which pulses were not outputted I like the concept of this Smile though for me it would add yet another jack which i will struggle to fit in an already crowded quad panel
however it sounds like you are suggesting something that would work from a trigger pulse eg: stop at first pulse restart on receiving next pulse which would be a very different thing and much more complex to do. beyond my simple abilities i am afraid Embarassed , though others may know of how it could be acheived
[edit]
boards arrived today yeah! thanks mathias Very Happy
so can make a start testing out all these idea's on the weekend
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

if i understand you correct you mean the following:
a trigger controlls an e.g. 4016. the 4016 switches the output of the clock on/off.
the trigger would simultaneously be sent to the reset/sync input. this way the clock should start in sync.
!?

Peake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To think I used to run bug tests on gear...I've lost that oversight and ability to communicate it. Apologies; please bear with me.

Two inputs: Start and Stop.

Stop would cause a switch to open, disconnecting the final clock output of the module from its out jack. It would still be running, but not connected to the jack.

Start would do two things: close the switch so that the clock signal train is again going to the final output jack; also, that pulse/gate applied to the Start input would go to the proposed Reset point, so that it would "start" cleanly at each "start" pulse/gate.

I haven't fully finished the project yet, so I don't know the size of the pulse/gate train at the output (5V, 15V, etc.). I'm hoping for a fairly large pulse/gate to control the Buchla DIY I've got going; it requires high voltages for clocks which are outside the range of CMOS.

Pardon me if this is too blue-sky and is derailing the thread. Just thinking out loud (even though that gets me into trouble) Laughing Thanks! They're assembling very cleanly. Nice solder pads! Solder flows onto them verly cleanly. I'm actually not using IC sockets due to the double-sided nature of the board, and I'm not afraid that it would be difficult to remove an IC if it failed.

fonik

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

Two inputs: Start and Stop.

Stop would cause a switch to open, disconnecting the final clock output of the module from its out jack. It would still be running, but not connected to the jack.

Start would do two things: close the switch so that the clock signal train is again going to the final output jack; also, that pulse/gate applied to the Start input would go to the proposed Reset point, so that it would "start" cleanly at each "start" pulse/gate.

why not using just one input to start/stop the unit? to send a reset/sync pulse when the unit stops won't do any harm, no?

diablojoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took it to mean the clock would remain running as normal just preventing it from sending clock pulses to the comparator
if we went across jp1 and jp2 with a 4016 and clocked the logic input of
the 4016 at a slower rate it would produce a 1-2 skip a few feature
dependant on the pulse width and rate of the clock on the logic in
which is not quite what peake had in mind not sure of the value in trying to reset the master clock at the same time
I think peake wanted to send a trigger in to stop the output of the clock
and then at some later time send in another trigger to restart and reset the output of the clock another very useful thing but beyond me
ah peake has already replied while i was writing this doh!
edit and mathias i type too slow
diablojoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
so I don't know the size of the pulse/gate train at the output (5V, 15V, etc.). I'm hoping for a fairly large pulse/gate to control the Buchla DIY

R20 value will change your output voltage i tried a 1k2 to get roughly 6v
so maybe try 1k5 for your buchla
we dont need to switch at that point so no worries allowing for cmos voltages
Peake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
why not using just one input to start/stop the unit? to send a reset/sync pulse when the unit stops won't do any harm, no?

You certainly could. I'm just used to the Buchla I once had, with separate ins for stop and start; I used to hook up all kinds of things to both with bizarrre results.

diablojoy, very interesting thoughts! I'd like to hear more.

Page 3 of 4 [90 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: