electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Nord Modular G2 - Preview - Impressions
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Nord Modular G2 - Preview - Impressions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2
In early September, in London, I got to see Rob Hordijk present a preview of the The Clavia Nord Modular G2. This synthesizer is the much anticipated replacement for the venerable Nord Modular. Rob knows the new machine very well and gave an excellent presentation. Later in the evening, a few lucky NM users joined Rob in the lobby of our hotel and got some hands-on time with the new G2. In this article I will give some of my impressions and thoughts from this first look.

The original NM is a phenomenal electronic musical instrument. When connected to a PC, the NM provides musicians with virtually unlimited supply of polyphonic modular synthesizers. I have one, as well as a Kyma system and lots of other goodies in my studio. The NM is my favorite. In the rest of this article I will assume that the reader is familiar with the current NM. To keep it simple, I'll use NM when talking about the current version and G2 for the new one. This is not an in depth product description, or even a product review, just my impressions, and later some thoughts. Here goes:

Original Nord Modulars
First impression: the G2 is striking. There are 4 LCD displays, 8 new rotary encoder knobs, and 8 large push buttons with lites. The three octave keyboard (more about that latter) has a mod wheel and there is the Nord lead style wooden lever controller. It is easy to understand the layout of the controls as they are a logical evolution of the NM. Like the NM, the G2 has four slots; essentially four synths. From the back, the 4 audio ins and outs is impressive. The construction is very much like the current NM, all metal and painted red.

There can be as many as 8 DSP chips in the G2. they run a little less than twice as fast at the NM chips. The auxiliary processor runs hundreds of times faster than the NM. This makes a fully loaded G2 about as powerful as a 12 processor Kyma Capybara 320, at least in terms of raw processor cycles.

Like the NM, the G2 stops playing when you load a new patch, or change a connection while editing a patch. The silence interval was very short; seemed like 300 to 500 ms.

New G2 Controllers
The new rotary encoders look great. There is almost a circle of LEDs around each encoder knob to indicate approximately where the knob is set. The knobs are unfortunately not high resolution. This is very unfortunate. They feel very smooth though. Since the knobs are incremental devices, there are 15 pages with each patch to store knob and switch assignments. These are selected on the front panel by 8 pushbuttons; bank 1-3 and page 1-5 (I could have these backwards).

Unlike the NM, the G2 has MIDI out. In addition there are many new MIDI processing modules. It should be possible to use the G2 for some very powerful MIDI processing, including time quantization in real time. There are modules that allow any control signal to be used as a MIDI signal. There are new arpedgiator modules, and it will be possible to build your own arpedgiators. These improvements in MIDI are alone worth upgrading from the NM to the G2, in my opinion.

Very exciting: there are 4 internal busses in the G2 that can route signals between slots. These a mono busses. and can be used for audio or control signals.

In the G2, there is much less distinction between audio and control signals. The new code complier is smart enough to conserve DSP resource on the fly. In fact, the G2 is no need for many of the NM's stripped down slave oscillators and such. In the G2, DSP cycles are still a concern, but the user doesn't have to be as crafty or clever in order to conserve them.

The oscillators have been enhanced to make it easier to do Chowning or Yamaha DX7 style FM synthesis. There is a new string oscillator which apparently can be used to good effect to synthesize string instruments. Check out the first mp3 sample of the G2 posted by Clavia; click here http://www.clavia.se/G2/G2Guitar.mp3. (Interesting that the first sound sample of the G2 that Clavia provides on their web site is a synthesized acoustic guitar. To be sure, it's one of the best acoustic guitars I've ever heard played on a modular, but it is not too great compared to a moderately good sample playback synth module, or even some of the sub $500 toys I saw today at the electronics store in the shopping mall. A modular synthesizer isn't the logical choice for synthesizing acoustic instruments. What's the point? Let's hear some hard core electronic sounds, or should I say, some electro-music.)

There apparently is a reverb module, but I didn't get a chance to see or hear it.

Rob Hordijk and the new Clavia Nord Modular G2
There is a new Bode style frequency shifter. While these can be relatively easily made on the NM with a few ring modulators and mixers, but it's nice to have a module.

There are neat new multiplexer and demultiplexer modules. The will be useful for lots of stuff, like building switching sequencers. Can't wait to play with these.

There are new sequencer modules. One has a "voltage", or level sensitive, input to set the active stages. With this, if you put in a sawtooth, the sequencer will step along like a conventional NM unit, say from left to right, step by step. If you invert the sawtooth, it will go the other way, from right to left. Give it a random waveform gated with a S/H and you get random stage selection, or random movement. I think this is great. I asked if there was a sequencer that has a FWD/REV selector input and was told that yes, there will be in the production models, but there wasn't one on the prototype at that particular time. In my opinion, sequencers are one of the weakest aspects of the NM. I'm confident that the G2 will be much stronger in this department.

The old NM patches won't work with the G2. No downward compatibility. While this is very inconvenient, it's OK with me. The G2 is new from the inside out. I'm sure there will be many G2 patches available on the NM mailing lists. There has never been a shortage of NM patches, and I don't expect there will be for the G2 either. Let the new kid hit the streets free of the limitations of it's ancestors. I wish we could all do that.

When Rob was patching G2 with on the computer, the user interface looked pretty much like the NM. There are now eight morph groups, a big postive enhancement over the NM which has only four.

I'm impressed with the G2. It's a great new piece of gear; my favorite synth improved. I'm looking forward to buying one when it is available, but I have some reservations just the same.

The G2 will come in two models: a keyboard unit with three octaves and all the knobs and switches, and a rack mount "engine" with no controls at all. There will not be an equivalent model to the NM Rack, which has all the controls, but no keyboard. Neither one of the new G2 models is a good match for my needs.

The G2's three octave keyboard is an improvement over the 2 octave one on the NM keyboard, but not by much; it's minimal - plastic keys on coil springs. Keyboard players are going to have a separate MIDI keyboard if they want more octaves and better action, just as we do now with the NM. Unfortunately, since the G2 engine has no controls, we are stuck with the keyboard model if we want the nice new interface with the resetable knobs and buttons, and the four LCDs. I think some people might hold off on buying the G2, hoping for a rack mount model with knobs to come out later.

On a different subject, I think the current NM doesn't have enough knobs, even though it has 18 of them. The G2 has only 8 knobs - gulp. But it does have 8 buttons and 15 pages of assignments. Even so, an one expressively play a large modular synthesizer with just the 8 knobs? I'm not sure. Switching controller assignment pages in the middle of a performance by pushing two of eight buttons isn't going to be possible in many situations.

There is good news: the G2 is compliant with the protocols the soft synths use when controlled with external incremental encoders, such as the Doepfer Pocket Dial and the MotorMix. This is a big plus because these devices have the same instant reset capabilities as the G2 rotary controls. So, I think I'll be happy with a G2, and external keyboard, an external box or two or three of knobs.

While we wait for the G2, hopefully it will be available by Christmas in Europe - later in other geopolitical regions, there is a lot of discussion on the NM mailing lists about Clavia not offering the G2 patch editor program on the Apple operating system, OSX. There are a lot of great musicians that won't touch the G2 because of this unfortunate limitation. What competent software developer writes platform specific code these days? This is indeed a mystery, because I think the Clavia software engineers are outstanding. The NM editor is a magnificent program. It has never glitched for me, much less crash. So why, when starting a new software project, don't they do it with OS independent tools? I personally do not have an Apple computer, so lack of OSX support isn't too much of an issue for me. Nevertheless I'm bothered because it reminds me of what the president of a major airline once said, "A dirty tray table means we don't do good engine maintenance."

All in all, I think the G2 is an outstanding instrument. There's room for improvement - but it's a big step forward nonetheless. Congratulations; Clavia - stop reading this article and get back to work. We are holding our breath in anticipation of this new electro-baby.

[Editors note: I apologize for any errors, omissions or misrepresentations I may have made. The preview was an informal presentation, and there were no written materials or fact sheets. I expected that in writing this I would be able to consult Clavia's web site. Unfortunately they have removed several pages of G2 details. Please, if anyone has any comments or corrections, please post them as replies to this topic.]

Last edited by mosc on Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.nordmodular.com/G2/index.htm
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Clavia proudly presents the second generation of the Nord Modular platform - the Nord Modular G2! With the G2, Clavia introduces a truly innovative hardware platform with focus on live performance features. The G2 offers fully assignable controllers to turn, bend and tweak. In fact, the ultra-flexible user interface of the G2 takes real-time editing to a higher level. And there’s plenty more...

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_book_toc.html
Advanced Programming Techniques for Modular Synthesizers

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/index.html
Nord Modular & Micro Modular V3.03 tips & tricks

Welcome to the Nord Modular and Micro Modular 'tips and tricks' section! The workshops of this section are created by two very skilled Nord Modular users: Rob Hordijk and Roland Kuit.

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Klanglabor is a live improvised electronics act featuring Ben Spaander and Rob Hordijk
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/Klanglabor8feb2003_64k.mp3
Play mp3 example of Klanglabor gigging on Feb 8, 2003

(64k, 6.35MB, about 14 minutes)

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/49/clavia_nord_modular.html
Music created in part or in whole with the Clavia Nord Modular by musicians around the world.

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.koorenhuis.nl/soundlab/
Soundlab - music composed by Roland Kuit

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
there is a lot of discussion on the NM mailing lists about Clavia not offering the G2 patch editor program on the Apple operating system, OSX. There are a lot of great musicians that won't touch the G2 because of this unfortunate limitation.

I thought those Clavia-guys were smarter. It's a stoopid move!
REPENT YOURSELF Shocked Very Happy
OSX is here to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup... bad bad bad move. They should even make an OS 9 version too, The editor does not really demand much CPU power and if they use realbasic for both the x and 9 version they can pretty much save the 9 version as an option in realbasic. having a 9 version would be great because guys like me have stacks of old macs all over the place. My initial idea was getting some Nord Modulars and or micros and build those into flight cases complete with macs and some monitors.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I write a big article, I sometimes get comments back directly by email. Here's one I found interesting:
mosc wrote: What competent software developer writes platform specific code thesedays?

Here's another rhetorical question:
"What OS manufacturer distributes a new version of their OS that requires all the audio application developers to rewrite their software?"

This is indeed a mystery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. frankly... those are good points.. but also completely irrelevant..

When it comes to Microsoft.. keeping the compatibility is just stupid.. sooner or later the vendor has to get past backwards compatibility in order to achieve a real improvement.

Improved hardware will also sooner or later mean that some software breaks the apps for the OS.

When it comes to Apple.. OS X is not Mac OS.. it is UNIX.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True. I think OSX is a big step forward for Apple. Also, having an OSX editor for the G2 isn't the main point of my article. I hold out hope tha Clavia with eventually support the G2 on OSX. Before anyone gets excited; no, I have no inside information. I just base this hope on my belief that the Claiva guys are really smart.
bodo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At least here's a beta for the original NM for OS x which has a few bugs
http://www.bittersound.com/nord/
memoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: G2 firepower v G1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

My name's Dave Pape - I'm an electronic musician in South London, UK and I own 4 Nord Micromodulars. I bought one to try it out and got addicted - I especially love the analogue ins, so was always happy buying up Micros rather than shelling out for a full Modular.

I've got a question about the G2 - has anyone figured out roughly how much more powerful it is than the G1 Modular (full, not micro)? I know the modules tune their DSP depending on their context in a patch so its not simple maths, but I was wondering if anyone had figured out how much more polyphony you get using equivalent modules, or how many more modules you can squeeze into a patch than before. Warning: answer high and I may be catastrophically overdrawn next month...
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The following was posted by Rob Hordijk on the NM mailing list.

Quote:
The DSP is exactly 1.875 times faster as the clockrate is raised from 80MHz
to 150MHz. There are many modules that originate from the NM that are also
about this times faster as the code runs 1.875 times faster. But it is not
about clockrate, it is what a programmer does with the extra speed.

There is something I fondly name the M$ principle, and is best shown by this
question: why does my wordprocessor still seem to perform exactly like
twenty years ago though computers run many, many times faster? I still
produce the same amount of text in the same amount of time on my current
gigahertz PC as I did with Wordstar under CP/M in 1980. For M$ I suspect
they think we all want to give top priority for a situation where grandma
wants to send a picture of a rabbit to granddaughter or vice versa. In
practice it means that programmers have the tendency to spoil newly gained
cpu resources on stupid and unspeakable things a power user is not waiting
for, sympathetic for grandma but hell for us.

Luckily the Clavia boys are quite aware of this and try everything not to
fall into this trap. In fact I know that an enormous effort is put into
balancing the dsp resources to get the best performance with the most wanted
features. This is an art by itself and as far as I can see the Clavia boys
are really masters in this respect. Just as there is only so and so much a
dsp can do. Some things, like reading a sample from memory, can be done very
fast, the dsp used in the G2 can easily do 128 samples when used in a
straightforward sampler. But an oscillator is something different, very
sophisticated antialiasing calculations must be done and this sort of thing
can eat away resources pretty fast. And the modular thing also needs some
overhead to glue modules together, which does not apply to a fixed
architecture VA synth. Intermediate output values must be stored somewhere
while with a fixed architecture these values can be passed automatically in
the dsp accumulator register when the algorithm is properly programmed. In
practice this might reduce polyphony to a halve. So, there is a price to be
paid for good quality virtual analog and an extra price for modularity.

On the G2 it is a bit more complicated than on the NM. For one, most modules
are now blue by default while on the NM they were red. Only by connecting a
red signal to an input they will become red and eat away more DSP. An
example is oscillator C, which when placed in a patch uses exactly the same
amount of DSP as oscillator D, which looks much simpler. Only until an lfo
signal is connected to one of the inputs of OscC it will start to use a
little bit more dsp power. But when connecting a red signal it will use
significantly more dsp power than when connecting a blue signal. The OscB,
which is with the DualOsc one of my favs, reacts the same, the more inputs
connected the more dsp it uses. So, here can be a substantial gain over the
old NM when everything is modulated by blue signals, unless everything is
modulated with red signals.

Some modules have become a bit more complex internally or have some extra
inputs. An example is the Nord filter with its LinFM input. And because the
maximum filter cutoffs have been raised to 21.1kHz there is some extra code
to compensate the nonlinearity that a digital filter has when its cutoff
gets above something like one eighth of the sample rate (a nasty issue in
all digital filters). So, the Nord filter still uses less dsp than on the
NM, but only slightly less. The multimode filter is another example, e.g. it
now uses 3.1% while on the NM it uses 4%, if I remember correctly. But the
multimode has new modes added.
The idea is that on oscillators the gain should be as much as possible to be
able to use more oscillators, while for a filter this is of less importance,
as many times only one or two are used.

Then there is the memory issue. There are two things that use memory and
their memory use is reflected in the memory display. These two things are
module outputs and RAM memory. Every module output eats away something like
0.8% of memory. This is not the RAM memory but internal dsp 'zero page'
scratchpad memory needed to store the output value of a module. This zero
page memory is the fastest memory in the dsp and must be used for outputs,
so other modules will have these output values available as fast as
possible. There are dsp instructions that can immediately address this
memory but these are defined in the dsp instruction code and are the same
for the complete Motorola 56k dsp family. Regrettably this means that in a
G2 patch the same amount of outputs can be used as in a NM patch. It is even
less, as a little bit of this zero page memory seems to be used for the
interslot buss lines, the four audioinputs and the four lines to the FX
area, though it might instead be the morphs, I don't know the code, but it
something like that. The maximum number of outputs in a G2 patch is slightly
over one hundred, I think it is now 104 while on the NM it was 111 or
something. This starts to count when doing patches with modules that have
more outputs, like the eight output switches, muxes and counters.

There are some magick numbers for dsp percentage and memory percentage,
these numbers are 100%, 50%, 33.3%, 25%, 20%, 16.6%, 14.2%, 12.5%, etc.
These numbers existed on the NM and still exist on the G2. The reason why
these numbers are so important is as these are the points where the number
of voices is changed. Instead of thinking that the G2 should be almost twice
as fast it is better to think that a 50% patch on a NM must fit in 33% on
the G2. This means that in all practicality one can say that the G2 is one
and a half time as big as a NM. For some patches it can be two times as fast
as use can be made of the blue/red issue and the fact that many inputs don't
use dsp when unconnected. But then there is the outputs issue that just
might mess up.

In my experience it is very well possible to make a 33% patch on the G2 that
was 50% on the NM and with some extra efx would be 10 voice while on the NM
it would be 7 voices. But the efx section on the G2 would be much more
elaborate with several choruses, delays, phasers and reverb. On a 25% dsp
patch it gets more difficult to keep memory under 25% than to keep dsp under
25%, as memory count seems to become more important on smaller patches. This
was the same on the NM, but there it was 'hidded' and one had to look in the
patch settings display at the XY and zero page memory settings to see what
whas up when a 24.5% dsp patch didn't give the suggested amount of voices
and it turned out that X-memory was at 26% or something. Only few people
ever noticed this, and probably few will understand exactly what it does on
the G2. But the rule of thumb is simple, keep to the magick numbers and
you're ok.

Sometimes tricks are necessary, e.g. when having to use the keyboard module,
which now has five outputs, one must keep in mind that it uses no dsp but
almost 4% of memory. If this is only to get a velocity value it is much
wiser to use a constant module and assign the velocity morph to this
constant module. Then dsp is also zero but memory is only .8%, a gain of
3.1% that can just pull the patch under e.g. the 33.3% memory and give three
extra voices. I think that I can safely state that the rule of thumb will be
to always use the velocity morph and never use the keyboard module for only
velocity. The keyboard gate is not necessary as the envelopes now have their
keyboard gate signal built in. So, the keyboard module should only be used
for special cases, when the note signal without the pitchbend or the
pitchbend data are needed. And these are also made available by morphs, so
morphs always have the priority.

And to make it even more obscure the used RAM is displayed by adding to the
memory meter. When inserting a 2.7 second delay the memory meter displays
99%. It is now impossible to see how much memory is used by the module
outputs. The idea is that either the output memory or the RAM memory is
displayed, just the one that uses the most percentage, as this defines the
polyphony for the slot. Uhh, for this slot, that is. As when a slot uses all
RAM but only 20% of dsp and output memory the 80% unused dsp and output
memory is still available for another slot. Only the RAM is not. But the
other slot will show the right memory values, so in practice it works. Just
don't ask me to explain this... Smile)

Point is of course that users shouldn't be bothered too much by technical
issues like this resources allocation thing. And this is done quite well,
all one has to do is to compare the dsp% and memory% displays with the
magick numbers and it is easy to see how much polyphony will be available.
Why this works is simply another matter and not of much interest. I just
wanted to make the point that whatever people expect form polyphony, Clavia
can actually scientifically prove they found about the best practical
balance for a dsp-based modular VA system. This proof is only interesting
for a ICMC paper, but it also shows no other manufacturer will do a better
job on a dsp based system. It is impossible to compare this with a cpu-based
softsynth, just as that works in a completely different way.

It also shows that the G2 should be considered different to the NM. It
really is a new generation as a lot of issues are looked at from completely
different angles. There are many things that Clavia wanted and needed, but
that couldn't be done with a V4 on the NM. First of all Clavia wanted a
better control surface than the NM one, and the G2 panel is a biiiigggg step
forward over the NM panel. And they wanted RAM, just like we all did. And
the pitchstick and the modulation wheel and a aftertouch keyboard and... The
question was simple, is it possible to build a machine for the same price as
the initial price of the NM-key (I paid 2100 euro for my NM-key in December
1997) but have all these extra things. Well, apparently it is. For the same
2100 euro the NM originally costed one now has a machine with a much better
panel, aftertouch keyboard, modwheel, pitchstick, RAM, about 1.5 times more
polyphony, midi-out modules, performances, interslot audio busses, more
audio inputs, a mic xlr connector and USB. That is what six years of
progress counts up to. I have a G2 here next to a NM-key and I can tell you
it is quite a progress and for me personally definitely worth the money.
memoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that - I had a look through the NM list archive but missed Rob's post.

It's a pity, with Moore's law and everything, I was kind of hoping for a number nearer to 8 than 1.5 - 2, but there y'go. Everyone seems to be hammering the point about the control surface so maybe what I need is to sit down with one and have a play.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: G2 firepower v G1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

memoid wrote:
and I own 4 Nord Micromodulars. I bought one to try it out and got addicted - I especially love the analogue ins, so was always happy buying up Micros rather than shelling out for a full Modular.

HEY! 4! Very Happy

And this is is yours: http://www.museumoftechno.org/ ?

Great site! .......

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
memoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Museum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No no! The Museum of Techno's a real museum!!!!

Hmm, you found out. Yeh, that's right - up until now I've been enjoying fooling people into believing techno was actually around in 1850s London, but I guess modern folks are getting harder to deceive, huh? These guys fell for it though http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/25878 Shocked

The Micros are wicked - lately I've been lending a couple of them out to guys I know who want to learn production, they're just unparallelled for learning synth techniques. I was scared of FM since I bounced off the user interface to a DX7 in 1984, until I started playing with sine osc modules...

My current music output swings from techno through to urban street recordings (I've got a pair of in-your-ear microphones and a little solid state recorder) - it's kind of a separate post this, but would anyone here have any music recommendations, anything I should be listening to for inspiration, because I'm looking around for ideas about what to do with the recordings! And if anyone wants to have some of the recordings to play with, give me a shout...
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
In this extract, written in the summer of 1894, Franklin describes being woken early one Sunday morning by two of his colleagues, who were very excited by their experiences of the previous evening.

The picture (right) shows detail of Hoovenaars's steam-powered drum machine. It is printed with the kind permission of the Estate of Aafke van Hoovernaars.

WOW! is it cool or what Question
I love it Exclamation

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

memoid should possibly make a post in the "introduce yourself" spot?

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
memoid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Intro Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, hint taken Wink

Like your under-promotion quote E80, that's like my personal motto!
syt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will get it asap! A must have for me and the one and only synth that makes all the noises in one machine and it does it realy good I think!

G2 examples convinced me at least!

Still I think they should have done one more tiny little update to the old and more or less crapy software for the Modular 1 well I use 3.03 and it's a little dissapoiting that it ended like this, one more reason to get that new monster ! Twisted Evil
john82

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm still dieing to get my hands on one of these G2's.
i wanted to get one back in 2004 but they were quite expensive then.
i suppose that it's been 5 years since they were first released, so they must be much cheaper now - and they still rock!
does anyone have any idea how much a second hand G2 should cost today?
Johnny

[Blue Hell: link spam removed]
Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I brought a G2 Engine (the 1U rack version) brand new for £500 GBP, and it was an absolute bargain. I lost out on the G2 User Interface, but as I was already carrying many keyboards about I didn't want another one.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here in Spain second hand modulars are very cheap. I bought my first G2 engine for 650 euros, then I had it on sale for months, until I sold it for only 550 euros (not pouns!).

Recently I have seen a G2 on sale for only 950 euros.

All of this in the Hispasonic forum where I usually sell and buy music stuff...

Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: