electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Adagio
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Adagio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a recording of a rare solo performance for me. I played this live on the Chez Mosc program on radio.electro-music.com on Sept 3, 2011.

It's the first part of my session. The recording is direct from the air, but I have done a bit of mastering.

This is quite tonal, but there is a bit of nastiness here and there. I've been listening to a lot of Shostakovich. He's not considered the most radical 20th century composer, but I like his music a lot.

The cello comes from my iPad. Other stuff in there is the Nord Modular and a Kurzweil rompler. Everything goes through Ableton Live on the way.

The words (more or less):

So far
    Under the Sun
    Below the sea
    Behind a star
    Beneath a dream
    We try so hard
    The ancient light
    The sudden sound
    Behind a star
    Below the sea
    Under the sun
    So far

I hope you enjoy it.

Adagio.mp3
 Description:
Adagio by Howard Moscovitz

Copyright 2011 by Howard Moscovitz, all right reserved - listen freely

Download
 Filename:  Adagio.mp3
 Filesize:  16.69 MB
 Downloaded:  2788 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: ADAGIO Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard
Cello opening line is beautiful. Great development. Sets a very somber mood. Very beautiful. I love it. The "nasty" Horn type line breaks the mood. The mood is never really established as strongly as it is in the begining again. The vocal is a strong line but unclear. You know it's a voice but it sounds like it's hiding afraid to come out.. If you just keep the strings and a stronger voice it would be a fantastic piece. One the Phily Orchestra should play.. A good composer must concern himself with the problems of the human heart in conflict with itself. The old truths of the heart,love and honor and pity and pride and compassion and sacrifice. These old universal truths lacking in any composition is doomed. Man has a sprit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. Our gig is to write about these things. You nailed it with this piece. It's a great piece.
Jack

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the thoughtful and valuable feedback, Jack. Much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the piece, love the recording, beautiful. Really my kind of music.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Roland.
SkySights

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am enjoying this one.
https://soundcloud.com/fredbecker
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/FredBecker
www.myspace.com/fredbecker
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome SkySights to electro-music.com

Thanks...

electrostaticat

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Adagio 132 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been trying to track down your beautifully haunting adagio 132 that i've heard many times on EM...it reminds me of whale music, a whale in mourning set to strings...gorgeous...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Adagio 132 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electrostaticat wrote:
I've been trying to track down your beautifully haunting adagio 132 that i've heard many times on EM...it reminds me of whale music, a whale in mourning set to strings...gorgeous...

Thanks very much, electrostaticat, and welcome to electro-music.com

Its great to have you here...

hrastprogrammer

Audio files: 103

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is really a beautiful emotional piece!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Hrast...
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Adagio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
This is quite tonal...

The technical name for the tonality of this work is "pandiatonic". Sometimes it is called "white-note harmony".

mosc wrote:
I hope you enjoy it.

Indeed, enjoyed it a lot. This music has a healing, hopeful quality to it.

Thank you for posting -- I hadn't heard this work before.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Kevin, I had to look that up. The Wikipedia article is informative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandiatonic

I find it wonderful that Nicolas Slonimski coined the term. I was lucky enough to act as his host when he visited Mills College in 1971. I got to spend the weekend with him. He was brilliant, and hilariously funny. He was a amazing musician. He could stand with his back to the piano, reach back and play Mozart.

In the article it says the Darius Milhaud used this technique. I went to Mills to study with him. My claim to fame is that I was his last student. Actually, I had one lesson with him before he passed away. He was very weak and could hardly speak. He would whisper to his wife who would repeat what he said. I didn't learn anything from him, but at least I got to meet him.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adagio came on after Paul's show tonight (EER), I know I heard it before, but I found it is still fresh, beautiful, and moving.
Steve
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: