electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
G2 Not Talking To Editor on Win98
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: G2 Not Talking To Editor on Win98 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings,

I have a new laptop running Windows 7. I installed the G2 editor 1.62 and used the 64 bit driver. This worked perfectly the first time.

However, I have an old IBM ThinkPad from 2002 that runs Win98 and I would like to get the editor working on this machine, too. I use it for my NM editor, via MIDI, of course. The laptop's one USB port connects to an old Midiman Midisport 2x2 (now marketed by by M-Audio, iirc). The laptop has one USB connection so I won't be able to run editors for both my NM and G2 at the same time... unless I get a USB hub. Before I commit money for a hub, I first want to be sure that the G2 editor will work. I installed the editor and used the 32 bit driver. The editor opens but doesn't see the G2. I've uninstalled the editor several times and "updated" the driver several times to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm fairly certain that the IBM's USB port is 1.0.

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill, I tried the G2 on my 98SE machine when I first got it and could never get it to work either, my recollection is that the USB driver only actually works with XP onwards
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had Win98 loaded on my main computer in 2004 when I got my G2X. The G2 Editor did not work well. The larger the patch or performance, the slower the computer would run. Trying to load a large performance from the hard drive would cause the computer/Editor to crash. I tested the Editor on another computer with WinXP loaded and found that it worked much better. I upgraded my Win98 computer to WinXP and have not had any problems running the Editor since, proving that it was not a hardware problem. I think this computer uses USB 2.0 ports. But, I did notice that the old NM Editor could not recall the MIDI port assignment under WinXP after booting up. I have to reassign the port each time.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What??!

You shouldn't be using a w98 PC in the first instance! WXP was pretty bad, but W98?!?! The only place that monstrosity belongs is in the garbage! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm typing from a W7 machine here! Wink Actually it's worth mentioning that this PC is an Acer Revo R3700, which is actually a pretty good 'nettop'! It's cheap and runs both the NM1 and G2 editors pretty damn well. Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
Bill, I tried the G2 on my 98SE machine when I first got it and could never get it to work either, my recollection is that the USB driver only actually works with XP onwards

I'm pretty sure I had no trouble getting it to work in Windows 2000.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
What??!

You shouldn't be using a w98 PC in the first instance! WXP was pretty bad, but W98?!?! The only place that monstrosity belongs is in the garbage! Laughing Laughing Laughing
I agree with you but the old Win98 machine will sit and gather (some more) dust if I don't put it to good use! Wink
v-un-v wrote:
I'm typing from a W7 machine here! Wink Actually it's worth mentioning that this PC is an Acer Revo R3700, which is actually a pretty good 'nettop'! It's cheap and runs both the NM1 and G2 editors pretty damn well. Cool
I have a Dell laptop from 2004 that is 3.3GHz, 1M RAM that runs WinXP. It has both editors on it and they always ran flawlessly. I should verify that they still work. I had to replace it as my main music-making laptop because it started to click whenever using any VST or VSTi and no one can fix it. Now my music-making laptop is a Lenovo running W7 and is fantastic. It runs both Nord editors flawlessly.

Today, I noted that the Nord Modular 3.03 editor no longer sees the NM synth and a 128M flash stick goes unrecognized. Perhaps the USB port has died!

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 FAQ
Jump to: