electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
i have no clue how to make the sounds ....
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
CatchAceII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject:  i have no clue how to make the sounds ....
Subject description: mysterious and arcane music programs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, the other day, i get a nice Acer aspire one (basic black, windows 7 OS), and so i load it up as a music netbook - only, i have no clue what im doing. XD

Linux multimedia studio - fully downloaded and installed, but i cant seem to make it peep

Tuareg 2 and Cylonix - downloaded but i cant seem to get it to auto-install (yeah, i got this 5 minutes ago in the free 'windows music programs' thread)

Mobius - fully downloaded and installed, but it looks scary and i have no clue where to begin.(5 minutes ago, too)

Bristol soft synth - downloaded, but not installed. Im not sure if WINE will work for windows/linux porting the other way around. and bristol is a linux program.

audacity - fully downloaded and installed, but is equally as mysterious as mobius.

advice on initiating auto-install would be nice, as well as the basics of how to get started making cool sounds.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have an amp connected to the audio out of the computer?
Are you going with Windows or Linux? Or both?
Tuareg, Mobius, and Audacity are installed, so definitely start getting to know what they do.
I still don't know what to do in Mobius, but I've got to check it out some day.
Have you heard "paulstretch"? Very cool.
There's a nice free vocoder in this sub-forum somewhere too, I think Mosc posted it.
You should be able to find an old version of Soundforge around somewhere. It's similar to Audacity, (wav editor, processor) but a bit better IMHO. Even an older version is still very handy.

CatchAce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
You have an amp connected to the audio out of the computer?
Are you going with Windows or Linux? Or both?
Tuareg, Mobius, and Audacity are installed, so definitely start getting to know what they do.
I still don't know what to do in Mobius, but I've got to check it out some day.
Have you heard "paulstretch"? Very cool.
There's a nice free vocoder in this sub-forum somewhere too, I think Mosc posted it.
You should be able to find an old version of Soundforge around somewhere. It's similar to Audacity, (wav editor, processor) but a bit better IMHO. Even an older version is still very handy.

1 - probably not. then again, im not sure if this laptop has an out right now, anyway

2 - this laptop is staying windows, but i would love to run certain linux programs on it. WINE lets linux computers run windows programs, but ive heard some say that it doesnt work the other way around.

3 - who or what is paulstretch ?

4 - vocoder ? o.o ?
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

* Yeah the laptop will have speakers, but I'd recommend connecting it to a better reference amp and speakers if you're gonna do much music with it.
* Okay, if that one's staying MS then there's plenty of stuff you can start downloading and practicing with.
* Paulstretch is a great time stretching program that allows you to turn any fragment of sound into a spectral background ambience. It also does heaps of other stuff which is useful in creating sound out of nothing.
http://rekkerd.org/paul-nasca-releases-paulstretch-20/
* A vocoder typically is used to extract dynamics from one source (ie vocals) and use it to process another sound. They can also be used for creating new, musical sounds from everyday noises. Again very handy on a PC where you may be lacking in sound sources.

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: