electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
4017 Baby Sequencer Stripboard
Page 4 of 4 [88 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
baudrate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That 4017 works so that whatever voltage you power it with will be the same for the output. If your synth will only handle 5v and you're powering with 9v you could add 7805 to the gate out and add some pull down resistors to the CV out.
baudrate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you go. Hexinverter did all the work. The 9v conversion is about half way down.

http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=sympleseq-5v-level-conversion
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

those CV outputs could be affected by load though. I'd follow them with an op amp buffer. You could use a 100k pot voltage divider in place of the two resistors if you wanted to be able to vary the output for different synths.
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Excellent news! Very Happy I might have to do a stripboard diagram at some point for a trigger sequencer.

Yes, please!

Seriously, I built the sequencer based on your layout - great layout!

I've had no electronics training, just what I've learned by trying things out, so whenever I can find clear layouts for interesting projects I really appreciate it. In fact, part of the reason I joined these forums was to thank you for your design!

When I get around to taking some pics or a video of my finished 'baby', I'll post them.

Next up? The cacophonator, based on your layout, of course. And wow thumleft , you really outdid yourself on that one - love the vintage look!

And if you ever do get around to creating a stripboard layout for a 4017 trigger sequencer... Very Happy
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another modification that occurred to me tonight as I was looking over some old patch diagrams in Allen Strange's book...

I want to be able to clock this guy externally....

In the original schematic that would be cut the wire from 555 pin 3 to the clock and put a normal jack in the middle.

With the transistor inverter and such I've done, it's take that wire from the transistor collector to the run/stop switch and put the normal jack there.

I also think I want to take each of the individual gates to their own output jack, and that seems similarly simple (just pull from the far side of the trigger switches, probably use 1K output resistors).
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the compliments Speedy RB. I build everything onto stripboard but not everything gets to be a presentable illustration worth posting. Most of the circuits I have made are either hand drawn on paper or in a crude form drawn in Illustrator. I was thinking I should make time to post one a month this year but so far it hasn't happened. I have several circuits in a partial stage of being finished as artwork to post. I'll try and do something about getting them finished and posted.
Speedy RB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Thanks for the compliments Speedy RB. I build everything onto stripboard but not everything gets to be a presentable illustration worth posting. Most of the circuits I have made are either hand drawn on paper or in a crude form drawn in Illustrator. I was thinking I should make time to post one a month this year but so far it hasn't happened. I have several circuits in a partial stage of being finished as artwork to post. I'll try and do something about getting them finished and posted.

Best of intentions with unfinished projects? That sounds familiar... Smile

I'm sure whatever you post will be most appreciated (by me and others) - thanks again.
boundlessFX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Clock stop & momentary switches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built this thing pretty quickly & easily and it definitely works interestingly with the only "synths" I've got that have inputs - a weirdly modded WSG and a circuit bent Synare 3. My only problem is; the switch that's supposed to stop the clock doesn't work correctly, and the momentary switch that's supposed to advance once step at a time doesn't work at all. When flipped, the clock stop switch freezes the clock for about a second and then it starts right up again and runs normally with the switch still flipped. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?
boundlessFX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Whoops Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nevermind! Embarassed I tinkered with it a little more, fixed up a solder connection, and now it works perfectly. Cool
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah good to hear. The step advance isn't perfect. Perhaps the momentary switch could do with some de-bouncing circuitry or a de-bounce IC.

If you need to voltage control simple noisemakers, you can always use a home made vactrol:

http://ruinwesen.com/blog?id=1325
mubase

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: 4017seq @ beginnning of thread...rotary problems Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 4017 step sequencer at the beginning of this thread... Has ANYONE got it to work with a rotary switch.
I am going nuts trying to find out why mine isn't working.
The stripboard assembly and wiring is ALL CORRECT. I am connecting the middle lug of rotary to pin15.
Pin13 is grounded.
I am using 5 Volts.
When I try to change the step number with the rotary switch, It just carries on putting out 10 steps except for position 9 which seems to work....

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE....!!!!

elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use a rotary (greyhill surplus). I have pin 15 pulled down with a 47K resistor as well as the connection to the rotary (and the reset switch).
feggster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 4017seq @ beginnning of thread...rotary problems Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

µbase wrote:
The 4017 step sequencer at the beginning of this thread... Has ANYONE got it to work with a rotary switch.
I am going nuts trying to find out why mine isn't working.
The stripboard assembly and wiring is ALL CORRECT. I am connecting the middle lug of rotary to pin15.
Pin13 is grounded.
I am using 5 Volts.
When I try to change the step number with the rotary switch, It just carries on putting out 10 steps except for position 9 which seems to work....

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE....!!!!

did you omit the blue wire?
Page 4 of 4 [88 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: