electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Modular Drum Machine
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Modular Drum Machine
Subject description: My CMOS challenge Device
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here follows my device for the challenge as proposed in this thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-47752.html&postorder=asc

It is a drum machine using only CMOS chips that i recieved in my electronic goldmine package. It's been a while coming. I started work a few weeks ago, and it is mostly done, with a few bugs to be ironed out. I am quite proud of it.

I used a diffferent assortment from what was posted. I got:
3x 4503
1x 4069
4x 4019
7x 4040
1x 4073
3x 4512
1x 4052
1x 4011
2x 4022
2x 4001

looking back now at this assortment and the one i posted about, i wonder why i didnt use that one? that one was much better, but i dont regret this i am quite proud.

the list of modules:

Sequencer Panel:

1x clock generator.

this module uses a momentary push button into a flip flop to start/stop the clock using a 4001. along with clock output there is a start/stop gate and a reset trigger triggered at the rising edge of the start gate. for the clock oscillator i used a 4503 hex buffer. note that this is not inverting. I managed to get it to oscillate though, with repeated results. the manufacturer is motorola. schematic here:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

1x swing generator.

a swung clock is outputted at 1/4 the speed of the input clock. there are 5 values to be chosen via a rotary switch. I believe the values are 25%, 37.5%, 50%, 62.5% and 75%. reset in, clock in, and swung clock out.

2x 2-in AND gate.

Nothing special here. I used a 4073 for this and tied two of the inputs together on each.

1x 6-bit 4040 binary counter

This is a basic module. whats annoying about the 4040 is that its asynchronous. so some of the outputs are inverted and the clock needs to be inverted on the input. clock in, reset in, /2, /4, /8, /16, /32, /64 outs.

1x 4022 8-step seq.

very easy and nice. the 4022 is an 8-step (octal counter) version of the 4017 (decade counter). the clock is sent to the 4022 and to an AND gate. for the AND gate i made one out of the 4503 and a diode per input. The AND gate gates the full length gates from the 4022 with the clock input to provide trigger outs. clock in, reset in, 8 steps, trigger sequence out.

1x 4512/4040 8-step seq.

this proved to be more difficult than I had planned. clock input inverted to 4040 to provide the stepping for the 4512. the output of the 4512 is gated in the same manner as the 4022 sequencer. same inputs and outputs as the 4022 as well.

1x 4052/4040 dual 4-step seq.

the 4052 is a dual 4-channel multiplexer, so i used it as a dual 4-step sequencer. made the same way as the 4512/4040 seq.

4x 4503 gate to trigger converters.

simple gate to trigger converter using the 4503 buffer. the input is differentiated and inputted to a 4503 buffer, straight output.

2x 4503 pulse stretchers.

pulse stretcher using a decay envelope into a 4503 buffer, simple stuff.

Voice Panel:

2x Metal percussion.

using the same 4503 oscillators as the clock. 2 oscillators AND'd together with a simple decay envelope into a diode vca. The oscillators are tuned with one pot. +V into pin 2 of the pot, pin 1 to osc 1's vactrol, pin 3 to osc 2's vactrol a simple and effective way of tuning two non-critical frequencies with one control. i use this idea often to control oscs. tune/spread knob, and decay knob. trigger input, and sound output.
this simple voice provides a decent hihat or chime like percussion.

2x Twin-t drum

using a 4011 i fashioned two ringing filter drums using twin t configurations. really simple and nice sounding. trigger input, sound output. pitch control and decay control. can also be used as a resonant bandpass filter.

2x Twin-t synth drum

same as the normal twin-t, using the same 4011, the difference being a pitch bend envelope. each drum has a different range, one for bass and one for snare type sounds. I couldn't make a noise source, as i didnt want to use transistors so the pitch bend helps a bit to have a snare type sound with a 'snappy' attack. schematic can be found here:

1x 5-input mixer

using a 4069 i made a 5 channel mixer, very simple, the schematic for one channel can be found in sketch3.jpg. the mixer can be overdriven nicely. each channel is then summed into a master channel identical to the input channels.

Now for some pictures!

my layout plan for the sequencer panel

the voice circuit board:

the voice panel inside:

the sequencer boards:

all three seq boards together with the panel:

the whole unit (with dog toy, very important to the sound):

the bottom is the sequencer and the top is the voice panel.

AND FINALLY SOME SOUNDS!

http://www.voxinfinitus.net/~psyingo/mp3/cmosdrumdemo.mp3
i couldnt go through all the sound possibilities in this demo without going on for ever, its still pretty long. the sounds are quite good and the sequencing is nice, but more can be done.
at the end of the clip i show off the self oscillating properties of the twin t drums and tune them to a nice drone.

thank you, comments appreciated Very Happy

edit: for the record, i used 16 of 25 cmos ic's Very Happy[/img]

SOME MORE SOUNDS:
http://www.voxinfinitus.net/~psyingo/mp3/cmosdrumdemo2.mp3
http://www.voxinfinitus.net/~psyingo/mp3/metallicdemo.mp3

Last edited by Psyingo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:10 am; edited 6 times in total
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got to see and hear this thing in person just before Psyingo put the final touches on it. It looks and sounds amazing! It is a very versatile machine too.

Great work Psyingo!

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, looks great - listening now, sounds nice too Smile
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds absolutely awesome!

Les

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The whole device looks fantastic and it sounds great! The rhythm has me tapping my foot Wink I'm really interested in that twin T filter synth drum though, can we get some more explanation of that?

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
The whole device looks fantastic and it sounds great! The rhythm has me tapping my foot Wink I'm really interested in that twin T filter synth drum though, can we get some more explanation of that?

sure.
its just a basic twin t circuit adapted for use with a cmos inverter.
twin-t's when used with negative feedback are bandpass filters with very high q. when the filter network is sent a pulse it will 'ring'. the amount of resonance will determine how long the circuit will ring for, right up to self oscillation.

there is a lot more information available on twin-t filters if you do a google search.

i think they are really good at simulating drums, and a lot of circuit designers thought the same. they are used in old organ drum machines, right up to the tr-808 and similar analog machines of that era.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is another demo, about the same length. edited down from 25 minutes though. http://www.memefilter.info/psyingo/cmosdrumdemo2.mp3
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked This is insane!!! hahaha! I can't believe you are getting these sounds from a random bunch of cmos. You've really pushed those chips into a different territory. That kick drum is impressive. The second clip really shows off all the voices. You have really excelled this time! Surely those little men at Roland have a lab coat to fit you!

...still listening.... that second clip is great!!!
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: !

Cynosure wrote:
I got to see and hear this thing in person just before Psyingo put the final touches on it. It looks and sounds amazing! It is a very versatile machine too.

Great work Psyingo!

thanks for helping me figure out the 4040 issue!
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Psyingo, as i said in chat: This time YOU are teaching ME (for what it's worth).

Les

brock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work Psyingo, sounds great too. John Simonton would be proud.
For JingleJoe, more info on twin-T drums here http://paia.com/ProdArticles/syndrum.htm
sndbyte

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very impressive! It is amazing what you were able to do with those chips. Great work!
Mikmo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats absolutely amazing!
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Psyingo wrote:
JingleJoe wrote:

sure.
twin-t's when used with negative feedback are bandpass filters with very high q. when the filter network is sent a pulse it will 'ring'. the amount of resonance will determine how long the circuit will ring for, right up to self oscillation.

there is a lot more information available on twin-t filters if you do a google search.

i think they are really good at simulating drums, and a lot of circuit designers thought the same. they are used in old organ drum machines, right up to the tr-808 and similar analog machines of that era.

Fantastic, thankyou Smile
Am I correct to think that the network of diodes and things before the twin T section is to generate a pulse to trigger the filter oscillation?

Psyingo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
Psyingo wrote:
JingleJoe wrote:

sure.

Fantastic, thankyou Smile
Am I correct to think that the network of diodes and things before the twin T section is to generate a pulse to trigger the filter oscillation?

No, not quite. those components are to create a variable decay envelope and a simple voltage control method as well as to trigger the drum. The two diodes to ground vary in resistance depending on thecurrent present at them. On my drum machine I already provide triggers at the input of the drums. If you don't want the pitch bend envelope you can eliminate those components.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait, so does that mean you are feeding the input of the twin T drum stage with an envelope of fast attack and slow decay?

jean bender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really beautiful work... amazing sounds... Lunettas are full of weirdness !!! Thanks for sharing these so great schematics !

www.electroncanon.org
ashleym

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very very impressive. A real inspiration.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used a diffferent assortment from what was posted. I got:
3x 4503
1x 4069
4x 4019
7x 4040
1x 4073
3x 4512
1x 4052
1x 4011
2x 4022
2x 4001

looking back now at this assortment and the one i posted about, i wonder why i didnt use that one? that one was much better, but i dont regret this i am quite proud.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Modular Drum Machine

Psyingo wrote:
2x Metal percussion.
using the same 4503 oscillators as the clock. 2 oscillators AND'd together with a simple decay envelope into a diode vca. The oscillators are tuned with one pot. +V into pin 2 of the pot, pin 1 to osc 1's vactrol, pin 3 to osc 2's vactrol a simple and effective way of tuning two non-critical frequencies with one control. i use this idea often to control oscs. tune/spread knob, and decay knob. trigger input, and sound output.

I would've liked to hear more of that. Could barely hear it in the mp3

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im impressed! What a great sounding machine from such simple components.

I would love to see a video of it in action, I can imagine it's a blast to play.

noise
goldenMaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this, my friend, is the sickness. Nice work amigo. It's aliiiiveeeeee.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Modular Drum Machine

richardc64 wrote:
Psyingo wrote:
2x Metal percussion.

I would've liked to hear more of that. Could barely hear it in the mp3

here you go!

http://www.memefilter.info/psyingo/metallicdemo.mp3
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

incredible, for just a few chips, madness.

i still intend to have a go at this cmos challenege, still got the EG selection separated out... time, as always, against me...

amazing work, loks and sounds incredible

Smile
granoj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked I`m wetting my pants here, this stuff beats any contemporary techno stuff hands down and with a bunch of silly IC`s, your Idea
Page 1 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: