electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Solar powered, sun and wind played CMOS synth - in progress
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Top Top

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Solar powered, sun and wind played CMOS synth - in progress
Subject description: 4051, 4017 waveform generator, 4040 divider, 4093 oscillators, solar cells
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, been a while since I have been here. I am working on a synth to put outside anywhere to be played by the sun.

Here is the initial idea:

this has a 4051 (1 of 8 switch) which selects divisions from a 4017 to generate different notes from a high freq master oscillator. The binary inputs to the 4051 are supplied by three solar cells. When the cardboard swings around it casts shadows on the solar cells, blocking the light.

I've made an adjustable waveform generator from another 4017, which has four pots allowing you to make symmetrical waveforms. So the divided "notes" from the 4017 are sent to that for a uniform waveform.

This is where I am at now. I have added three additional modifications to the original note generation. You can see I am adding in solar cells to be lit, which brings in the different sounds. These sounds are from a 4093 synced oscillator, with an LDR to modify its pitch, and a 4040 which is providing both octave division and longer, rythmic divisions of the master note generating oscillator in two variations.

The idea in the end will be that these different sounds will change with the movement of the sun in the sky throughout the day. I am still considering if there will be more sonic elements included, or if I will stop here for now.

The main challenge I have at this point is building the physical part so that the sun and wind alter the sound in a progressive manner throughout the day. The setup I have here with the cardboard is really just for testing the idea.

The synth in these videos is powered by a separate small solar panel that I built with a regulated output. It is running on about 4.5 volts. The small cells I am using to trigger put out about 4 volts in full sun. They work great as light sensors because the CMOS chips need very little current to trigger.

I'm summarizing a lot because this has been a sort of improvised, add a chip as I go process. Feel free to ask any questions.

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 169
G2 patch files: 319

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!
PHOBoS

Audio files: 475

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice indeed and it is something I have been wanting to do for a while. Have a (solar powered) system that makes music controlled
by the envirement, or at least weather conditions. So on a sunny day you will have some happy uplifting music, it will be more slow
and droney during the night and more melancholic during cold rainy days.

For wind control I once built an anemometer kind of thing using plastic spoons and the motor from a small PC fan.
I didn't work at all though and I only realized later that a fan has some electronics in it so you can't simply use it as a
generator. Besides that it didn't rotate smooth enough so an optical system would probably work better.

But I like your idea with the solarpanels being obstructed by the cardboard panels. It creates a more chaotic pattern and seems
to work pretty well. Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yoho

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there something like euhm a diagram?
Top Top

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for taking a look.

PHOBoS wrote:
Nice indeed and it is something I have been wanting to do for a while. Have a (solar powered) system that makes music controlled
by the envirement, or at least weather conditions. So on a sunny day you will have some happy uplifting music, it will be more slow
and droney during the night and more melancholic during cold rainy days.

For wind control I once built an anemometer kind of thing using plastic spoons and the motor from a small PC fan.
I didn't work at all though and I only realized later that a fan has some electronics in it so you can't simply use it as a
generator. Besides that it didn't rotate smooth enough so an optical system would probably work better.

But I like your idea with the solarpanels being obstructed by the cardboard panels. It creates a more chaotic pattern and seems
to work pretty well. Very Happy

I may encounter a new set of challenges when I attempt to translate this to a situation entirely controlled by natural elements. At the moment I have a computer fan providing a consistent breeze and the light is being provided by lamps (I have to use a halogen lamp to fuel the main power-providing panel on the bench at night).

One idea I have had for providing more rhythmic pulses from the wind is to make a turbine that blows in the wind, such as your spoon idea, but then have it rotate a wheel with a couple of powerful magnets on it, which I think, if I remember how induction behaves, would pulse an induction coil when it passes. I have never experimented with anything like that, however, so I don't know what the specs on the coil or magnet would need to be in order to produce a 4v pulse. It would not need to be nearly as powerful as a proper wind power generator because the current requirements for pulsing a CMOS logic chip are pretty low... still, no idea until I experiment.

yoho wrote:
Is there something like euhm a diagram?

Honestly, it has been built on perfboard as I go, with each connection being an experiment that I decide on right before I solder it.

I may go through and trace all the connections eventually, but I don't remember them exactly right off hand.

The basic note selection part is a 4051 connecting different division # output pins on an audio rate-clocked 4017 to its own reset, with the data inputs on the 4051 being provided by three solar cells.

The rest is just divisions and logic functions to provide rhythmic/sonic variation.

Top Top

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: first attempt at interfacing with the actual elements (wind and sun) and getting it in an enclosure.

Here it is being played through a little amp. I have tried some experiments with powering an amp via the solar panel that powers the synth, but I think I need a more powerful panel. Ideally I want this to be a stand-alone device that you just put out in the sun and it does its thing.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: