electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Tips for music you didn't know about (archeology)
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Antimon

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Tips for music you didn't know about (archeology) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mostly wanted to start a thread to thank Blue Hell for mentioning the group White Noise in the chat. I'm listening to An Electric Storm on Spotify right now and loving it!

So while there's a lot of music available for free (for starters, right here on the forum there's a huge archive of wonderful things), there's also stuff that was made long ago or being made currently that isn't made available for everyone to hear without some kind of effort or compensation (Spotify for example, while having a "free" version, isn't available everywhere and is designed to make you want to pay for it). I figured we could give some hints about that kind of music that we like in this thread, as an alternative to the online music forum and artists' forums here.

Any takers? Smile

I'll start by describing White Noise: "An Electric Storm" - a record from 1969, makes me think of a more sensible "pop" version of The Residents maybe, with electronic stuff and weirdness happening everywhere. Makes me all warm inside.

Last edited by Antimon on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 am; edited 2 times in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that LP very well. I have it on vinyl.. original pressing.. and I have also a recent reissue on CD. Brilliant stuff. A lot of the weird and wonderful stuff is also all over Youtube, but I reckon the problem is that you have to know about it in the first place in order to know what to search for.

BTW, it seems that Peter Baumann's first solo LP is not very well known these days. I guess his first LP is the best, the second kinda is almost the same and then he goes synth pop.  

A fairly remarkable track on his first LP is this one:

This is a successful attempt at making contemporary classical music and the kind of electronic music he did with TD connect.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Michael Hoenig's LP "Departure from the Northern Wastelands" is also a classic. That being said, the collab with the guitar guy from Ash Ra Tempel is also good, but mostly as an early example of what Hoenig was doing at the time and what led to "Departure from the Northern Wastelands". The guitar playing does not work that well on "Early Waters", but Manuel Göttsching got better and his own synth/guitar solo LP under the Ash Ra name; Blackouts, is really good.

Early Waters:

"Departure from the Northern Wastelands"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah maybe the problem is to know that stuff exists rather than actually get in touch with it. Smile Listening to Peter Baumann now!
Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Renamed the thread Smile
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, so it is not archeology anymore? Shocked Crying or Very sad

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A kinda lost chapter is the mix and evolution of psychedelic rock, folk and early prog in Europe. Most people just know of Genesis and Yes, and that's basically it. And there is this myth that UK punk was a reaction to the überskilled progheads. This sounds good, but it isn't true.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh.. and then there is stuff like this: Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
...BTW, it seems that Peter Baumann's first solo LP is not very well known these days. I guess his first LP is the best, the second kinda is almost the same and then he goes synth pop.  

I really like "Repeat Repeat", his first foray into the realm of "synth pop". Synth pop in quotes because your average synth-popper would probably not like it at all; it's somewhat avantgarde and experimental compared to chart-music, but still catchy. I think Stefan might like it, judging from his own works Smile

"Home Sweet Home" from "Repeat Repeat":

Last edited by DrJustice on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:46 am; edited 2 times in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Possibly Repeat Repeat is better than I remember it to be. Or not..?

It kinda fits in with what was done at the time.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyways..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Possibly Repeat Repeat is better than I remember it to be. Or not..?

Oh yes! Cool Could be nostalgia on my part, but I remember that this was what I wanted synth pop to be like back then...

I know that Ultravox and their Norwegian audience is heavily into nostalgia, they've played a couple of concerts in Oslo lately, to the utter delight of the now balding and beer bellied fans - been to see them twice, the last few years.

@ Stefan : are there particular styles or genres you're looking after, or is it just anything?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Nostalgia..?

I still like a lot of the 50s and 60s blend of Space Age Pop, Tiki and Exotica.

This is dated of course. These days you must have all the sounds come from some Korg or Roland Workstation.. and then it must simmer for a few hours in Ableton Live.

http://www.spaceagepop.com

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:

@ Stefan : are there particular styles or genres you're looking after, or is it just anything?

Anything! Smile

Renamed the thread again!

Antimon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually what I was hoping for was pretty much what has already happened - a bunch of posts with interesting music! Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(Edit by DJ: I took the liberty of updating this with a complete (not cut before the end) and better quality version of this national treasure - I hope you don't mind Smile)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Egil for Prime Minister!

Now for a proper space music outfit; Neuronium, from before it became Michel Huygens New Age UFO/aliens vessel. Everything from "Quasar 2C361" (1977) to "Invisible Views" (1983) is kosher in my book. Oh, how I regret selling those early LPs...

Edit to add: by a stroke of luck I found out that "Quasar 2C361" and "Vuelo Quimico" had been released on a double CD in 1998, so at least I got that one back...

Last edited by DrJustice on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And then some more synth pop. This time from Landscape:

DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and how about some Logic System. Maybe it's well known around here, but IME not so known in general. Here's "Logic", IMO Hideki Matsutake's magnum opus, I love this record to bits:

DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about you, Stefan - do you know of any half forgotten gems to dust off and share with us? Smile
Antimon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually looking at your posts I feel like I don't know anything about anything... but ok here goes:

Back around 1986 or so I liked to listen to a radio show where they did comical stuff interspersed with weird music, a lot of it electronic. A couple of tracks I heard there has stuck with me for all these years (I recorded the music from the shows onto tape and I think I still have the cassettes somewhere). After the internet age arrived, I have tried googling around for them from time to time, with no result even though I remember a lot of the lyrics. I just now did yet another try and hey presto! Mystery solved. cheers

My first google this evening was for the words "hereby my invitation we do invite you..." The hit was on an old Sun Ra song called Enlightenment. It wasn't the track I was after though, the one I knew was more electronic. After some struggling I gave up and searched for the other song instead - a cover of the Rod Stewart song "D'Ya Think I'm Sexy". Jackpot!

This got me thinking, maybe the other song is a cover of Enlightenment by the same act (Morgan Fisher / Hybrid Kids)? A quick look around told me that this was the case:

I am now a very happy guy. Very Happy Time to check out this Morgan Fisher fellow some more.

Antimon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since you're throwing norwegian stuff around I feel I need to add this in here. Wink It's not obscure at all in Sweden (at least for someone my age), but maybe not as known elsewhere...

DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay! More Swedish stuff: Here's the Grand Master and pioneer of space music, Ralph Lundsteen - I didn't quite know what to pick, but here's a video with footage from his home and studio, the wonderful Andromeda studio. If you don't know about Lundsteen, do follow that link to Andromeda and explore!

Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: