electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
A classic Monosynth as a DIY project?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Gaetano_AU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject:  A classic Monosynth as a DIY project?
Subject description: I am thinking about making a complete classic synth in semi modular form.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been thinking about constructing a classic Monosynth, like a smaller Moog synth in a semi modular form like a 2600. Then offering it as a kit of PCB, Parts and Maybe a faceplate. Is anyone interested in this?

I would aim at something like a Prodigy, which I have seen sold on eBay for ~$1250 used (not commenting on whether or not that's reasonable). I am also aiming at a Prodigy as, I know from experience that they sound fantastic but don't have parts, which are too difficult to source. Some of the other similar sized Moogs use special IC's or have inflexible VCO's, so I don't to do these. Other small synths use difficult to get IC's, like SC Pro One and Roland SH101's which use the Curtis CEM IC's so I am not interested in these either.

This would be a non-commercial enterprise, which I would basically recover the cost of parts for the kits and faceplate etc..
BrassTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, sounds interesting. I have started a similar project. I'm also willing to help out if need be, see the PM I just sent to you looking for a few transistors, part of what I'm doing is in there. The first one I build though, is MINE! Twisted Evil

For anyone else reading, I'm cloning a Minimoog. I've played a real one before, and I want one badly, but I am NOT spending between $5,000 to $6,000 to get one.

Also, I've cloned the the ARP 4075 filter submodule, with the board artwork being as close to the original as possible, so much that it can actually be used as a drop-in replacement.

However, I am interested to see what you come up with to build, in case I want one of whatever synth you choose also!

LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess, judging from the interest in the ARP 2600 clone by Zthee on muffwiggler forum, there's a lot of interest in something like this.
Part of it will be the familiarity with the sound/ user interface.

I guess it depends how easy it is to build/ unique featureset it has/ cost etc etc.

With a project like this, it's very easy to be a lot more expensive than a commercially bought equivalent (like for instance the MFB thing, Kraftzwerg?). I mean, Andy overhere spent 300GBP on a panel alone, for his version of the ARP 2600, fullsize.
jmejia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a red square pcb set i'm probably not gonna use if you're interested. I seem to recall it being basically a semi-modular prodigy.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: