electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
A working editor solution OS X ML
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
clementshawes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: A working editor solution OS X ML Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fed up with having a second machine or filtering USB interfaces on Virtual Machines? No? Oh well, must just be me then....

Nothing too ground-breaking here but it works and that makes me happy...

My Mac is running Mountain Lion, Nomad wasn't working (no errors but no connection options or settings). Java MIDI libraries weren't working.
I setup a Virtual Machine in VirtualBox running WinXP. I have my G1 rack's PC connection hooked up to my NI Kore controller's MIDI port.

Rather than filter the USB device to the VM, I instead used Network MIDI on the native side, binding the session to the hardware MIDI port and connect to RTPMIDI on the VM.

This worked both instantly and flawlessly this way - I'd had timeouts, lags, all sorts with device filtering etc.

If this is new to anyone and they'd care to explore, I'd be happy to write a tutorial or offer some kind of assistance in your endeavours.

I'm thinking that something similar should work if you're running Linux as your desktop - JACKAudio includes something like the RTPMIDI protocol...

dude163

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(shruthi1!)
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: A working editor solution OS X ML Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there!
I'd like a tutorial or at least more information please?!
In particular I've no idea what this means:

clementshawes wrote:

Rather than filter the USB device to the VM, I instead used Network MIDI on the native side, binding the session to the hardware MIDI port and connect to RTPMIDI on the VM.

My experience has been trying Crossover/Wine and Virtual Box with the Clavia editor.
In all cases it just sits there "still looking" forever.
I've never done any "filtering" of the USB device and have no idea what that means! Wink
What I have tried is installing MIDI interface drivers in the VM and that has never worked (pretty sure they wouldn't even install.)
I have 2x Roland UM-Ones and a MIDISport 4x4.
Currently i'm using the 2xRolands to control the Nord Editors of a MicroMod and a G1Rack while the MIDISport is run from a Mac running Numerology and Ableton but would be nice to just use the Mac and the MIDISport.
Here is a video - https://vimeo.com/72590255
_seph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A working editor solution OS X ML Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

secretkillerofnames wrote:
Hey there!
I'd like a tutorial or at least more information please?!
In particular I've no idea what this means:

clementshawes wrote:

I haven't tried the process being described as I gave up and bought mine a G3 iMac to run OS9, but "Network MIDI" can be found by going to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup. select Window from the menu bar and the option Show MIDI Window. here you have access to Network MIDI setup ...and that is about as much help as I can provide.

best of luck and thanks for sharing the video, well done.
dude163

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How hard was it to get the old G3 running?
_seph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not hard at all. it was only a matter of turning it on and installing the software. I'm using a M-Audio MIDIsport 4x4 and I haven't had any issues.

all in all it has been great having access to OS9 again. I started out with a G3 PowerBook and still have all of my software, (an added plus has been revisiting my old Blizzard games). the only trouble I've had with thef iMac has been in networking/internet use but I don't know why I'm even bothering... that said, I do need to replace its battery as it loses the date/time whenever its power is cut.
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A working editor solution OS X ML Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:

OK I have tried this with two different MIDI controllers (that work with the Nord Editor on Win) and i'm still having no luck. I would like to go through theprocess to make sure i'm not doing something wrong.

1 In Audio/MIDI setup I create and enable "Session 1" selecting the device (either "UM-ONE" or "MIDISPORT 4x4 Port A") for both in and out Live Routings.

2 In my VM (Crossover) I load the Nord G1 Editor - go into setup and select "Session 1" as my In and Out and hit "Apply"
Is this what you mean? Because it isn't working for me.

What is "RTPMIDI"? Is that important

I also note that the Nord Editor when loaded in Crossover sees the UM-ONE and MIDISPORT devices but fails to connect to them also.

chrs
Lloyd
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: A working editor solution OS X ML Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

secretkillerofnames wrote:
What is "RTPMIDI"? Is that important

I looked at rtpMIDI a year or two ago, but never did anything more than just read about it. Not sure if its needed here, but I'd say it might be very useful.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Steve
secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A working editor solution OS X ML Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicMan11712 wrote:

I looked at rtpMIDI a year or two ago, but never did anything more than just read about it. Not sure if its needed here, but I'd say it might be very useful.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Steve

This is very interesting.

Unfortunately it doesn't work in Crossover it has an error during the install and then doesn't appear to work properly. It will find Network MIDI but the connections are always rejected.

I've given up trying to get Virtual Box to work as I'm having no luck even getting WinXP installed and running. I think the frustration of having to use Windows 8 is much milder than struggling with this virtualisation so i'm giving up for now. Confused
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: