electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
How stable is the G2 for live use?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Vader77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: How stable is the G2 for live use? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've heard many stories of USB dropouts and other issues but would you be confident using a G2 together with the programmer running on a laptop in a performance scenario?

How does the G2's USB connection stability to a PC fair against the G1's in general or are both safer being studio instruments?

thanks in advance for any wise words Smile
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well actually the Editor software is not really necessary for using the synth in live performance. Normally the Editor software would only be used to build patches. Once a patch is built and front panel controls assigned, I don’t think that there is much need to have the Editor software running. Both the G1 and G2 are fully functional without the Editor. Do you have a particular reason to want the Editor running during live performance?

Also, what computer OS would you be using to run the Editor? Some combinations of computer OS and G2 version seem to work better together.

As far as my experience with G2 USB stability, when I first got my G2X years ago I was using a Win98 computer and I did have a lot of Editor/USB connection problems. That all went away though when I upgraded to WinXP along with the 1.40 version G2 OS and Editor. I have had *very few* problems since then. With *many* hours of patch editing, I can only recall a couple of times where the Editor had a connection glitch for no apparent reason.

Vader77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm currently using a G1 with an Itronix touch screen laptop (XP) so the editor is essential as humble controller of sorts but I'm just debating to take the plunge to a G2 but the stability is a big factor.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having three G2 engines here running always ... like once a month they will loose the PC connection (XP laptop) - seems to be a driver crash then. Pretty predictable. Does not matter if I patch or not.

What happens more often is that the blinky lights in the editor will stop working - you can not see an envelope being triggered then, or an LFO running, or a sequencer. This will happen after days typically, but it is a bit less predictable. Sometimes the lights will come back after a while (hours).

drapdap

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Having three G2 engines here running always ...

You are my role model Jan! Very Happy

i only have one expanded engine, i'd say it's rock solid, never let me down the past 8 years, i use it every day.
about the editor loosing the connection, mine does it when i constantly bang all 4 channels with midi, (perhaps even just 3, use it that way)
say bass/drums/and a synth and the editor will hang and give me an error message: lost contact. it will catch up with what's going on after a restart,
but it does hold on to what's coming in on midi, and always does the job, even if the laptop is blown up next to it, and i love it for that, i'd hate it the other way around.
also if i restart the editor it will automatically send the patch running in memory to the editor. in my book that's reliable. Very Happy
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not using my G2 much lately... but I don't remember when was the last time the editor lost the connection, it was loooooooooooooooooooong time ago with the old G2 USB driver.
Now I'm using the latest generic USB driver from Clavia, by the way (3.something). Works wonderfully with my Windows 7 64bit.

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How stable is the G2 for live use? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vader77 wrote:
I've heard many stories of USB dropouts and other issues but would you be confident using a G2 together with the programmer running on a laptop in a performance scenario?

I would not advise doing this if at all possible. Just play the G2 live without the G2 Editor software.

You may think the editor is essential for playing live with your G1, but the G2 has a very nice hardware UI, with one LCD display for every two knobs, and other goodies. I doubt you will ever need the editor for live use on a G2.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Nodular

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still, it happened to my G2s to crash. I'm not 100% sure wether it has always been happening while the editor was running or not, but they just stop responding to any action on keys, knobs, wheels, buttons, stick. Only power off still works Wink
I think I managed quite soon to crash both units via Program Change. This is why I keep the feature disabled since then.
Nevertheless, crashes are very rare, and I would also say it's somehow a pity. Indeed I happened to have had great time when unpredictable digital craziness occurred to my gear. I once recorded a crash session of an Akai Z4 sampler desperately trying to make it throguh a mess of a orchestral multi patch that's sounds really interesting to me.
Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I thought I'd mention a problem I used to have in my live rig. In my band, Pure Floyd, I used my Nord for all the lovely Pink Floyd/Rick Wright lead sounds. In 2009 i would often find that the Nord would not be responding, and had to be turned on and off (no editor in sight), but of course this would be embarrassing, as it was at the point I had to play a solo!!

To cut a long story short, I used MIDIOX on the laptop I used for my B3 emulator to track the problem down. It was my Yamaha EX5 putting out a lot of spurious CC messages from its 6 controller knobs. I cleaned the knobs up with Servosol and also disabled the knobs in the performances they were not being used, and I never had the problem again.

I can only surmise that the Nord has a relatively small MIDI reception buffer that was overflowing when this happened.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nodular wrote:
...Only power off still works Wink..

Laughing

Alas, it's impossible for even a crashed CPU to ignore a power off switch (thank goodness)...

tagirov

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm thinking of use G2 Engine in live setup and change Performances via Program Change messages from Ableton Live or from the hardware sequencer of my Roland MC909 groovebox.

The only problem is that engine doesn't have any knobs so I have to assign controllers for each performance and then merge in some hardware midi controller or maybe custom made Max for Live panel in ableton track, which I assign to APC40 knobs.

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: