electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Mattel Synsonic button woes...
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Mattel Synsonic button woes... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have this Synsonic drum machine and the buttons are driving me insane. I have to either press VERY hard to make them work, others don't work at all or intermittently. I want to replace the switches with surface-mount push buttons. How difficult would it be to solder these on the pc board contacts? Did anyone ever accomplish this? Heck, I'm even thinking about putting it's guts into a box and mod the heck out of it. I got my cheap for about $24, so I'm not worried about keeping it in it's original state. Hmmm the drum pads have issues too. Think I'll wrap them in aluminum foil and make contact sticks for them a la Kraftwerk cheesy
The Real MC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a reason you got it cheap. Mattel is a toy company and their stuff isn't meant to last forever.

Buttons are the achilles heel of a lot of gear and are often the first devices to go bad. There's no guarantee you can find a direct replacement as OEMs (especially the asian ones) change their parts often as a party to the "planned obsolescence" profit model (I'm talking to YOU, Alps!). PCB mounted controls like Slidepots and rotary pots are especially a PITA.

Gear made in the last ten years seem to have gotten worse, especially those d@mn tact switches used on a LOT of gear. Many panel buttons are simply a button cap with a tact switch underneath on the circuit board. I had tact switches go bad in several pieces of new gear.

The first sign of a failing tact switch is hard presses to make them work. That's probably what you are seeing.

I had an 80s non-MIDI drum machine with bad tact switches, couldn't find direct replacements so I got rid of it.
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there aren't any tact switches, it's just a rubber button pad with those dreaded carbon contacts that sit over a row of contact traces on the pc board. I hate those kind and I don't want to spend $27 + s&h for a so-called repair paste just to have the same problems dive up later on. I found out that Radio Shack has mini push buttons for $3.49 for a set of 4. I took a peek inside and was delighted to see easy points to solder wires on for the buttons. I was gonna put the thing in a different case anyhow. I want to make it look like something out of the 50's with mint green coating and all cool
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: