electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Kutztown U Computer Music & Visualization Conference
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:  Kutztown U Computer Music & Visualization Conference
Subject description: June 13 & 14, 2015
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Calendar Event: June 13, 2015

KUCMVC2015 — Kutztown University Computer Music & Visualization Conference 2015, FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, June 13 & 14, 2015

All,

You are invited to attend in a 2-day electro-music satellite event in the Grim Planetarium, Kutzown U. of PA on June 13 & 14, 2015. There is a preliminary schedule of performers here, and there a few slots open, so please post here if you'd like to perform. Most of the performers on the initial list are electro-music regulars, many of whom have been talking with me for years about playing in the planetarium. Kutztown is about 90 minutes NW of Philly, between Allentown & Reading, PA.

Steve Mokris & Michael O’Bannon have agreed to do 1/3 of visuals each, along with 1 musical performance each. Students, colleagues & I will pick up the other 1/3. Intention is electro-acoustic, but a few exploratory acoustic performers will be fine.

Plan is 30 minutes for each performance, with three back-to-back performances, interspersed with 45 minute setup breaks, and a 2 hour dinner break each day. That gives us time for up to 30 performances.

The event is free, and the public will be invited to attend. Meals are not covered, but Main Street is a 5-minute walk. Apartment-style dorm rooms come in blocks of 4, and they are cheaper if we rent all 4 simultaneously. See notes from the conference manager at bottom of this message. I will schedule 3-day dorm reservations first in order to fill out blocks. The conference manager has not gotten back to me as of today, Feb 28, about the details for reserving room, but we are on her event radar. She is very busy.

We should be able to stream the event, in which case we’d need streaming volunteers.

Here are some related links for the uninitiated:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153948988315117.1073741840.579770116&type=1&l=161e84621a

http://www2.kutztown.edu/directions

http://www.kutztown.edu/planetarium/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152081496660117.900146.579770116&type=1&l=f43c2f3550

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151412887095117.823610.579770116&type=3&l=f7e8d0b3f5

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150793380120117.730472.579770116&l=7118b6f81e&type=1

Here is what the person in charge of dorm rooms for conferences had to say on Nov 24:

Costs are not determined for this coming summer yet BUT I have attached a fee scheduled reflecting last year's fees. I don’t expect them to change significantly. Here is what you would need to charge your guests to cover expenses:

$ 25.25 per person/per night (assuming single occupancy in a bedroom) $ 12.50 linen pack includes 2 towels, 2 sheets, 1 pillow case, 1 wash cloth (one-time fee, linen to be returned) $ 5.75 pillow (one-time fee, pillow is theirs to keep) $ 4.50 blanket (optional, one-time fee, blanket to be returned) There is also a cleaning charge for every suite that you use ($75-$80). It is probably easiest to consider filling each bed in a suite so you can charge $20 flat fee per person. If you only put 1 or 2 persons in an apartment, you still pay $75-$80 for the cleaning fee so it is best to fill the units as tightly as you can.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: some technical info on the visuals

Cool There are a lot of electro-music festival regulars signed up to play, along with some non-EM folks and locals, which is part of the point. Lots of discussion on FB and none here, which makes this great for posting stuff not likely to get lost in the hurly burly over there.

This post is especially for people doing their own visuals, especially real-time graphics. I know the projector takes VGA and HDMI. Phill Reed tells me that for anyone who brings a video in standard format such as MPEG, that he has software that will clip the corners correctly & project.

MANDATORY CLIPPING TO A CIRCLE: Visual artists need to clip their graphics to a circle in the middle of Display 2 on their laptop. This clipping is not necessary for prerecorded videos (see above). Display 2 is 1920 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high. In order to eliminate the risk of hitting people in the back rows in the eyes, please clip your display to a 1200 pixel diameter circle in the middle of display 2.

I am also attaching the Processing sketch (program) that I threw together tonight, between ordering a vegetarian calzone & going to pick it up, so I could look at angles and pixels sizes and such. It reports the 1920 x 1200 on the bottom of the code screen shot, which was taken simultaneously with the screen shot showing the image going to the dome. That image bears out the 1920 x 1200 pixle report. More to follow.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM.png
 Description:
Display 1 at 19:59:48 tonight.
 Filesize:  4.74 MB
 Viewed:  20 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM (2).png
 Description:
Display 2 at 19:59:48 tonight, from the VGA to the planetarium dome.
 Filesize:  253.83 KB

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 7.59.48 PM (2).png

domey.txt
 Description:
My Processing sketch code for these screen shots.

Download
 Filename:  domey.txt
 Filesize:  6.98 KB
 Downloaded:  19 Time(s)

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: spatial

The planetarium markers show 0 degrees at North, but polar geometry conventions place 0 degrees polar -> right along the X axis in Cartesian, which projects to West on the dome. The diagram below showing speaker placement uses the planetarium's markers reference, while my software uses polar geometry. The angle increases in both as you go counterclockwise, they just start 0 at different cardinal directions.

Display 2 on a laptop puts the bottom of the second "screen" to the south and top to the north, with west on the right and east on the left. Just lie on the ground with your head to the north, feet to the south, looking upward, and you will find west is on your right. Go ahead, just try it.

I always look to the south so I can set up my display 2, in case I need to use a mouse and look my cursor on the dome.

The subwoofer is on the floor. Nobody knows quite where. This place is a Tardis.

GrimDomeExtra.jpg
 Description:
Speaker placement.
 Filesize:  262.66 KB
 Viewed:  19 Time(s)

GrimDomeExtra.jpg

DSC_0128.JPG
 Description:
Fish eye photo, including my head.
 Filesize:  4.77 MB
 Viewed:  21 Time(s)

DSC_0128.JPG

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: the 4 cardinal directions

Here are some fish eye photos from the 4 directions

DSC_0139.JPG
 Description:
north & east
 Filesize:  4.27 MB

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG
 Description:
south & west
 Filesize:  4.39 MB
 Viewed:  15 Time(s)

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG
 Description:
we can do a quiet blue light if anyone wants that
 Filesize:  4.23 MB
 Viewed:  22 Time(s)

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG
 Description:
or red
 Filesize:  3.42 MB
 Viewed:  19 Time(s)

DSC_0150.JPG

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Updated Schedule

Here is an updated schedule. A name with an * suffix means that performer(s) have confirmed the time slot. I am working on getting confirmations from the remainder. Most of the discussion is on an event page on FB, but I am happy to coordinate any non-FBers here.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: