electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Top 5 Electronic Musicians...
Page 2 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RedVenice wrote:
Im adding Throbbing Gristle....fuck it!!! haha!!!

Coming out of the TG pot of members, friends and relations I guess "electronic musicians" would apply to Chris Carter and Cosey Fanni Tutti - http://www.chrisandcosey.com/ ... and of course Brian also known as Lustmord - http://lustmord.com for some of brian¨s work check out this website.. http://www.happypencil.com/ . This same music is was also released on his Carbon/Core CD Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Some of those animations at http://www.happypencil.com/ are stunning together with the Lustmord soundtracks. Recommended.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That happypencil site is quite facinating, but I can't get much to work. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have Macromedia Flash installed?

Anyways, the Carbon/Core CD is nice.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check. Flash is installed. Must be a disconnected brain. Better reboot. shaking shakng2 compress
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BlakeLight

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by BlakeLight on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
orczy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BlakeLight wrote:
You guys can't forget OK Computer by Radiohead.

And you really can't forget Nine Inch Nails early music (especially "the downward spiral") Songs like "The Perfect Drug" and "Happiness in Slavery" are some pretty brilliant nihilistic noise which, as far as I can tell, is rather unparalleled in music history for its violence and pure expression of brutal alienation.

Radiohead are fantastic, "Kid A" is certainly one of the more interesting albums to have become popular in recent years. Taking a step back from the fact that it is Radiohead, it is pretty strange: mixes of Autechre, Mingus, Eno, Banshees, and others that I can't quite remember. (It's been a while)
I would rather forget NIN. To me, they have always sounded like a child having a tantrum at a birthday party. I just want to tell him to grow up. Sorry.
Crying or Very sad
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess he did grow up...the last project I heard from Trent Reznor was producing Johnny Cash's last go...on which Johnny covered a NIN song 'Hurt', which was amazing to listen to after hearing NIN 12 years earlier while outgrowing my teen years (and understanding the emotion in it). But Johhny's version blows the original out of the water.
orczy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
...on which Johnny covered a NIN song 'Hurt', which was amazing

Is that the song with the repeated single piano note?
I understand the NIN thing on a level of angst, but there something about Reznor that really irks me. I can stand Slayer, Kurt Cobain, and a few others carrying on, because I believe they mean it. But with Reznor, it just all seems a bit forced. I am sorry, but you know how there are just those artists that somehow really rub the wrong way? Well, meet one in my top 5: Reznor Twisted Evil
Ponk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I guess he did grow up...the last project I heard from Trent Reznor was producing Johnny Cash's last go...on which Johnny covered a NIN song 'Hurt', which was amazing to listen to after hearing NIN 12 years earlier while outgrowing my teen years (and understanding the emotion in it). But Johhny's version blows the original out of the water.

Wasn't it Rick Rubin who produced this?

Trent Reznor's teen age angst has always been a major turn off for me as well. I know he's making interesting and innovating music, but I can't get over the "Oh look at me, I'm suffering in this shithole called 'world' and you suck even more than me" mood...
Oskar

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my twopenn'orth, which due to inflation has increased to £984.85:
This is btw NOT a priority list, just names that spring to mind.

Joe Zawinul
Arve Furset
Jimmy Smith
Brian Eno
June Morrison
Arne Nordheim

So what if that's six, haven't you heard of inflation? Twisted Evil

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, you have a euro songfest dude in that list too?! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, this is fun!

No. 1 without question is Aphex. Noone even touches him. Although Mosc's persistent adoration means I'm gonna download some of that Amy X shiznit.

Some of the others would be:

Squarepusher
Black Dog/Plaid in their various guises
LFO
Tangerine Dream circa Phaedra / Rubycon
I'm quite surprised noone has mentioned Stockhausen yet.

I do need to make a special note of the artists releasing albums in Warp's Artificial Intelligence series in the early 90s. They are what really switched me on to 'intelligent' electronic dance music.

Plus you guys are coming out with some tasty bits too! At the risk of stirring up some kind of controversy, my favourite music downloaded from this site is the Hardliner, Forficule (fucking hell!) and Jensen Sportag.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don´t forget our friend " artic beard". He must be the obvious next brit entry in the euro songfest, not?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't know, the lack of availability of mp3s means I've yet to check him out.

Haven't I seen him on some Gillette advert though?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. so where is ArticBeard hanging out these days?

Hmm.. dovder.. any more new tunes coming out of your studio?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
I'm gonna download some of that Amy X

I recommend you do just that. I have forgotten which tune is online here, but that CD is really something. Buy it.. if you hate it you can give it to your local friendly feminist synthesist?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
The Why Project

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my top list:

Autechre
I think they pushed electronic (dance) music much further than anyone else out there.

Boards of Canada
They must be in the list... every single sound on their works is beautiful!

Aphex Twin
The maddest one of them all, his contribution is immense. Pitty not all is
of equal quality.

Throbbing Gristle
Their influence on the whole of electronic music can just not be ignored.

Suicide
Same remark as Throbbing Gristle, but probably even more important.

Tangerine Dream
As mentioned above, albums like Phaedra are just the sh*t!

Kraftwerk
Where do I start? Masters of minimalism and melody.

Stevie Wonder
His willingness to incorporate ever more complex synth setups in his
music certainly pushed technology forward in that era.

A list of only five is just not enough...

Regards,

The Why Project
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kris Wesson

I wonder how his new CD thingie is progressing?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. and I wonder when Carlo Serafini will issue a CD of new material.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hmm.. and I wonder when Carlo Serafini will issue a CD of new material.

I wish I knew Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Dovdimus Prime

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hmm.. so where is ArticBeard hanging out these days?

Hmm.. dovder.. any more new tunes coming out of your studio?

Well, yes, sort of, thanks for asking. My remix of Aquanaut's track is progressing nicely, and I have nearly finished a piece of vocoder pop that will erupt the skulls of anyone listening into tiny, satisfied pieces.

elektro80 wrote:

Dovder wrote:

I'm gonna download some of that Amy X

I recommend you do just that. I have forgotten which tune is online here, but that CD is really something.

Hmmm, I couldn't find anything downloadable on her artist forum, am I being a fuckwit? And there were only snippets on her website, and that really annoys me.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
have nearly finished a piece of vocoder pop that will erupt the skulls of anyone listening into tiny, satisfied pieces.

YES YES YES too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee

... and the aquanaut remix!!! yes..!

Amy? Did you check out the section here.. the CD shop thingie? There might be one on the product page here.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fuckwit??

Translated to the north norwegian dialect "nordnorsk" .. that sounds like a reasonably enjoyable state. Cool .. Hmm.. and then some.. Shocked Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might be that same snips though..

Try t: http://electro-music.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6_32&products_id=47

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. another go at the top 5 list.. nah..

but the most influential german keyboardist of the 70s should of course be mentioned.. Irmin Schimdt !

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

His recent work with Kumo is top notch.

Some info: http://www.spoonrecords.com/irmin.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: