electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Introducing myself :)
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Introducing myself :) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear E-M Forum,

Well it's been only one month now on this forum and I've already made over 140 posts (christ! that many?)- so I suppose I really better introduce myself.

My name is Tom- I hail from Birmingham, the UK's version of LA (USA) or Dusseldorf (G)-(apparently). Birmingham is affectionately called 'little America'- full of glitzy neon lights and gothic architecture- To be frank it's a bit of a dump!

Those who know me already (Jan, Wout, Chet Dave Peck and several others- sorry people, can't name you all here!) know me as 'terryfunken' from Justin Maxwell's NM@code404 list back in the days

I started my career (can I call it that?) as a musician releasing a post-rock LP back in 1996 called 'Distant Station' by Tele:Funken (my name then) on the independent London based record label Domino (also home of Franz Ferdinand, Pavement, Four Tet etc etc) and in the USA on Drag City records from Chicago, IL.

I also released a number of 'out there' singles and other releases on small labels based in the UK and USA. One such release was a single I did with a brummie band called Avrocar. The track was called 'Themes These Three' and was name checked by Radiohead as one of the sole reasons why they went on to release 'Kid A' as well as being picked by BBC Radio 1's 'Breezeblock' as their single of the year (1999)
-I can up load that track for you all to listen to if you want me to-

The name 'v-un-v' is the name of my new band (we also call ourselves v-unf or vun-f or what ever takes our fancy. The line-up is me on Nord Modular and electronics, Simon Vincent on Bass and Farfisa Organ, Laurence Hunt on Drums and Jim Smith on Guitar and pedals. (Interestingly enough, Jim and Simon both originate from L'augmentation a band who got into DJ John Peel's festive 50's a few years ago- well worth checking out). We've recorded an LP but are still looking for someone who would be prepared to release it- if the worse comes to the worse, we'll release it ourselves. (again, I can upload a track if you want to hear one).

I'm including this following tele:funken track (in mp4a- AAC format for the added quality) which was recorded way back in 2001 but was never released. It's done exclusively with my Nord micro-modular recorded into Logic Audio with a bit of help from a Yamaha AN1x (a great synth engine btw). If you like what you hear, email me and I'll send you some more tracks on CD (plus a small charge of course:)).

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: that track?! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard, the server isn't allowing m4a (AAC) uploads. I'm sure these are mp4's?
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Formal introduction -> formal
welcome - I know you love the smilies

Tom, I'd certainly like to hear some of your stuff.

Jan.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: trust me to be different! ;) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Jan you are probably the main person I want to share my music with :))

I did ask Mosc if it was possible to upload mp4 files (In fact the extension is there up in lights in the allowed files to upload section. Problem is, 'it's not working' (my daughter's favourite expression at the moment!). Mosc did say that there may be a problem. mp4 (m4a) files are so much better quality (and smaller too) than mp3's

I don't buy into this fear of file sharing on the internet anymore. I was fearful at first, but then realised that people are going to do it anyway (and how many people can honestly say that they have NEVER recorded an LP on to cassette tape?!). Most people out there on the net are 99.9% honest anyway. If I like a band (and that includes software too) after downloading a file, then I'll go out and buy it because it is in my interest to keep them going and to support them so that I may hear more/ use more in the future.

Anyway, as soon as I get the go ahead, I'll upload the m4a files right away :)

Tom

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom, it should work now. I enabled mp4 not m4a.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: and we try again....... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you go- for all you prog-rockers out there!

If it comes through, please post your thoughts!

Polyphon Movement.m4a
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Polyphon Movement.m4a
 Filesize:  3.8 MB
 Downloaded:  1810 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hoorah!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, it works!

Sounds good. I wouldn't think it is prog rock though, but I hate all these genres and sub-genres.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Hey, it works!

I hate all these genres and sub-genres.

Yes, me too. We're supposed to live in a democracy but what is democratic about tuning into a radio station and finding the next two hours filled with rock only, or country only or pop or d&b?? That's not a democracy.

In a democracy you should have to listen to the music you don't like as well as the music you like. It should be for everyone at all times.

It's a shame but for the past month I have been broadcasting from a community radio station based here in Birmingham. Up until recently the radio was streamed to the internet. But recently the PRS have decided to charge radio stations at full pelt (£2000) in one go- for a year. before that it was at around £3 per day- which was workable. As a result of this many small radio stations who don't rely heavily on advertising have had to pull out, effectively turning off their internet connections. This is going to be really bad news for new up and coming bands who desperately need to be heard.

Shall I post some more music? (I'm having to keep unplugging the internet connection at the moment because we are currently having our share of violent thunderstorms! (I can't afford to blow up this computer!)

Tom :-)

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, feel free to post away. We are kinda the opposite of radio stations. We only post non-commercial stuff authorized by the copyright ownere, else we can be sued by the same PRS that are clamping down on the radio stations.

Maybe we can do something with podcasting, but I'm not really thrilled with that format. They are just big mp3 files of radio programs. But that's another topic. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-5217.html

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some hurdles had to be taken, the download count might be a bit flattered now ...

I tried every player I had and nothing worked, so I had to have this f***ing iTunes installed again in order to get QuickTime installed which at least sort of works. Anyway several reboots later windows decided it could maybe accept my new settings and I could play the track.

This is not quite what I had expected given the Kling Klang patches you used to post on the NM list in the old days. I had expected something less polished, this track is a bit sweet to my taste, but it's interesting enough to want to hear more, please :-)

Hmm, I love thunderstorms, maybe tomorrow, they promised !!

Jan.
Ponk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For some reason the file extension got replaced with .mp3 while downloading and that's why I didn't get this to work first.

I'm listening to it now and it is a good track. Maybe a bit more variation would make it more appealing to me. Or making it more repetitive and monotonous. This is kinda in the middle.

But anyway, I like it a lot as it is.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Yes, feel free to post away. We are kinda the opposite of radio stations. We only post non-commercial stuff authorized by the copyright ownere, else we can be sued by the same PRS that are clamping down on the radio stations.

Yeah it's a problem I'm fully aware of (I'm a member of the PRS too- I'm getting very close to drafting a letter to them in protest. It's internet fear fueled by a bunch of tossers just out there to make a quick buck from it- I know, I've heard interviews with them on the radio.
mosc wrote:

Maybe we can do something with podcasting, but I'm not really thrilled with that format. They are just big mp3 files of radio programs.

It's something that the BBC ignored at first but are now having to take a bit more seriously. Why aren't you thrilled with the format? Is it the mp3 format?

Tom
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Some hurdles had to be taken, the download count might be a bit flattered now ...

I tried every player I had and nothing worked, so I had to have this f***ing iTunes installed again in order to get QuickTime installed which at least sort of works. Anyway several reboots later windows decided it could maybe accept my new settings and I could play the track.

I'm sorry that you are having a bad Quicktime experience Jan. you're the last person I want to upset.

Blue Hell wrote:

This is not quite what I had expected given the Kling Klang patches you used to post on the NM list in the old days. I had expected something less polished, this track is a bit sweet to my taste, but it's interesting enough to want to hear more, please :-)

Expect the unexpected!

I suppose that's why I upheld making a download available for so long. A lot of people here tend to collect synths (I've got a couple too), but I'm more of a record collector than a synth collector and I can get really passionate about music. I like absolutely everything- as long as it is (in my mind) good- (without sounding arrogant, because arrogant I'm not- hang on a sec, isn't that being arrogant???! ;) )

Actually that track was part of a last attempt to make a little more money (how pessimistic of me? :)) from music- fat-chance of that! Hence it being quite polished.

My first LP 'distant station' is really lo-fi. I think that it was also the best one I did.

I've never really understood using computers for recording. 4 and 8 track dedicated tape machines are a lot better as you have to live with the limitations. But I've always wanted a nice big studio- which I've got in software, but alas, not in hardware (my house is too small)

I'll send you a copy if you want? I can't upload it because it was not published by myself. I've seen it on certain p2p sites! (limewire etc).

I did do quite a bit of lo-fi 'noise' with the NM, but I found it really hard to get them completed because the Nord is so deep- and you just want to change things all the time.

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm, I love thunderstorms, maybe tomorrow, they promised !!

Jan.

Well according to the satellite shots, there's a mother of all storms on its way to you soon :)))

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ponk wrote:
For some reason the file extension got replaced with .mp3 while downloading and that's why I didn't get this to work first.

I'm listening to it now and it is a good track. Maybe a bit more variation would make it more appealing to me. Or making it more repetitive and monotonous. This is kinda in the middle.

But anyway, I like it a lot as it is.

Cheers for the kind words Ponk :) As I said, the track is a bit old now (5 years), and I was still in my 'pop' period ;)

Circle are from Finland. Do you like them?

I'm gonna upload some more stuff tommorrow. It's late now so I'm off to bed :)

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings v-un-v!
Yes interesting track. I like alot of the synth stuff and some of the drum/percussion sounds. I like stuff with more of a beat but still was a fun song. Keep up the good work!
Razz
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jason wrote:
Greetings v-un-v!

Greetings Jason! Thanks for the kind words :) As I said, I'll post some more later today. Right now I have to take my daughter to the park!

Ponk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Circle are from Finland. Do you like them?

I'm gonna upload some more stuff tommorrow. It's late now so I'm off to bed Smile

Circle? Yes, I love them. It's always difficult to make a list of top 10 (or so) artists and bands, but Circle would definately be near the top on my list. They know that leaving out everything unnecessary and repeating nearly the same thing over and over is the thing in music. Of course they aren't the only ones doing it, but they do it the best. And that is of course the final truth, not a mere opinion. Wink

Eagerly waiting for your new uploads bounce,

Tuomas
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ponk wrote:

Circle? Yes, I love them.

Wicked! They too are probably my favourite band right now.

But first things first. This track is for most of the ex code404 members. I never posted it then because I didn't know how. But I told them all about it at the time. It was recorded in my then tiny bedroom studio on an Fostex digital 8 track (which was surprisingly noisy!). There's no Nord in sight I'm afraid. But if you do like what you hear, check out Ochre's web site- the label it was released on. I'm sure Talbot would appreciate some more sales. There's a LOT of experimental electronic music on his site (including stuff by ex Spaceman Sonic Boom and Bunnymen member Will Sergeant). I'm going to claim copyright on this track because I made it, and if any copyright is due, it should be for Claire and Vicky who made excellent contributions to this track. It's floaty and ambient and should help ease the summer's heat!

telefunken TT3.m4a
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  telefunken TT3.m4a
 Filesize:  4.06 MB
 Downloaded:  1722 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked that last one better !

Still no thunderstorms, glad you posted the track, it works, it's cooling down :-)

Jan.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the Polyphon Movement.m4a a lot. It can be improved , but the basic scheme is great and there are some great moments in there. I am thinking Synergy ( Fast )and the Vorhaus synth LPs here, not the WN-1. Telefunken is great.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Stein :)

Yes I'm sure it can be improved. I think everything can be improved. But there has to be a cut off point where you don't improve it any more otherwise you don't release anything!

I've never listened to any music by Larry Fast (but I do know of him). I'm a big fan of Cluster, Kraftwerk and Neu! but I try not to copy too much- as I don't see the point. But yes you are right- I do like White Noise's first lp. Especially 'The Visitation' (I think that is what it was called?)

Polyphon movement was inspired by a trip to Istanbul in Turkey- possibly my favourite European city. A polyphon movement is the mechanical wind up thing inside a mechanical clock. I just liked the name :)

best,

Tom

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

occchh...can't get these fancy dancy m4a's to go in OS 9...
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes this mp4 thing sure is a PITA... no offense there but damn....
I had to use my winamp that I luckily had installed but jeepers....
I dont like winamp...
Anyway..... As for OS9 hm not sure, would just check update for quicktime possibly?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iTunes, the standard mp3 and music file playback app on the PC platform, will play those m4a files.

This format isn´t perfect, but it sounds a fair bit better than MP3.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: