electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Battle Music - Tell me your opinions
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Pezzer

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Battle Music - Tell me your opinions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I was asked to create some battle music for someones game (which I do quite alot of these days). He wanted something Euro Techy and a lot of action. For the introduction you can hear a real piano being played by myself.

This was my creation, took me about 4 - 5 hours to make.

C & C welcomed. Very Happy

Battle.mp3
 Description:
Battle of the Saints by Perry Swain 2005

Download
 Filename:  Battle.mp3
 Filesize:  5.45 MB
 Downloaded:  3553 Time(s)

- Pezzer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was playing this and my sister came into the room. Shd said, "I like this. It's beautiful." I told here it was supposed to be battle music and she said it didn't remind her of a battle, but of a waterfall.

To me it isn't too battle-like, but more like opening music for a travel program or something. It does have the intro feel to it. I like the piano playing.

Nice one. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pezzer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol thanks. Yea I agree I personally when doing battle music like it a lot faster tempo, but that would be impossible for my fingers to play that fast! Razz

Thanks for the comment. I should post up other battle music; unfortunatly most of my music isn't very techno styled.

- Pezzer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't composed any "battle" music, but I would thing the tempo isn't the critical aspect. One could put a lot of tension and angst with bass timbres and dissonace. Of course, in a battle game maybe the anti-war commentary is not what one would want. Maybe the feeling should be, "Oh boy, what a great day for a battle. Happy Happy Joy Joy." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, nice track , but it doesnt hit the 'battle' genre music theme for me either. Sounds too friendly which is great, but I suppose not for battle/fight stuff. And yes as Mosc says I too dont think the tempo is the critical aspect either, its the mood/sounds/notes/chords etc IMO.
Still pretty interesting song, and sophisticated sounding in certain ways.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The track is nice. It has a certain epic flair to it. I wouldn´t call this battle music of the dark and dramatic kind, but I don´t see why it could not work. It depends a bit on the actual gameplay I guess.
Not to be knitpicking, but isn´t there something weird with the stereo soundstage here. First I thought it sounded hollow, but that doesn´t quite describe it.

Some sections of the melodic patterns are quite resembling the "numa numa numa" thingie . Is this the euro tekno influence?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Pezzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea I wouldn't say it was completely euro techy, it is more fusion e.g. the use of a choir in the back because the game is based in a fantasy world.

The weird stereo staging I'm not too sure about, is there a specific point at which you can really hear it?

- Pezzer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is evident all the time. It is very easy to hear using headphones.

What gear did you use?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Pezzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah I don't usually use headphones. I should as you hear the mess ups better.

I used Cubase SX 3, HyperCanvas VSTi sounds, A few other synth modules too.

- Pezzer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any special plugins used?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Pezzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking closer at the project file, I used a few equalizers on the drums, that might be whats doing it. Also it might be possible that the exporter messed it up, it wouldn't be the first time Cubase has messed up a MP3 export for me.

- Pezzer
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds like a reverb inserted on the master buss....an 'ambience' setting
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Not to be knitpicking, but isn´t there something weird with the stereo soundstage here. First I thought it sounded hollow, but that doesn´t quite describe it.

I agree. The streo image is too wide and the centre is getting lost like a enhancer taken too far. This hurts the bottom end of the spectrum and keeps the bass from pumping the energy of the battle. Many of the music tv stations add this effect and many TV sets are set to it too, if those add up you end up with something like this. To be honest; I secretly turn it off on TV´s I find it on because it´s becomeing so comon place in broadcasts.

I think as a track it´s a daring choice, certainly apropriate for "realtime" battles in RPG games but perhaps a bit too characteristic to acompany all battles over a entire game. In the first seconds I´m missing a certain "crash" to indicate a battle is starting, taking you from "walk" (or whatever) mode to battle mode, ala Final Fantasy.

Melodically it´s of cource all quite impressive and with that piano I find the snare-rushes unusually tastefully placed.

Pezzer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, sorry to dig up an old topic, but I thought I should post up the revision I made to the song. I gave the piece more depth with more bass and less mid (which was starting to hurt my ears when hitting the high notes Razz). Overal I added a compressor to the drums, changed the EQ on the pianos, and changed the instrument pan configuration to stop it from sounding too hollow.

Thank you all for the advice.

Finished product - Battle of the Saints

- Pezzer
Waronik5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pezzer wrote:
Hey, sorry to dig up an old topic, but I thought I should post up the revision I made to the song. I gave the piece more depth with more bass and less mid (which was starting to hurt my ears when hitting the high notes Razz). Overal I added a compressor to the drums, changed the EQ on the pianos, and changed the instrument pan configuration to stop it from sounding too hollow.

Thank you all for the advice.

Finished product - Battle of the Saints

Hey i just totally signed up just to ask you if i could use your music in a video im making cuz it sounds really cool but i didnt want to do it without permisson, can i plzzz Smile
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pezzer hasnt been active in over a year, perhaps try his website if he doesnt respond here?
http://www.intrepidmusic.co.uk
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: